Anybody have an IPOD Nano?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my wife one yesterday, the new one that holds and plays videos, pictures and stuff and I have no idea how to use this thing..
Can I download video from youtube on it?
Can I use two from the same computer? I think I want one now too..

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find tons of information at many places. One place to start is probably at Apple's Nano support page

You can't do YouTube like you can on, for example, the iPod Touch or iPhone but you can download videos.

If you're totally new to using an iPod, then the first thing to get used to is the way it's designed it to integrate with iTunes on your computer. It's not really a totally independent device. If you kinda think of it as an accessory for iTunes instead of the other way around then maybe things will be more clear about its capabilities. (The iPod Touch kinda finally starts coming into its own finally, but the Nano is still a dongle for iTunes in my opinion.)

So think of iTunes as home base. Then ... if you can get it on iTunes you can afterward sync it into the Nano and take it with you.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Oh -- yes you can use 2 on the same computer but unfortunately you have to build 2 separate libraries, one for each iPod. You'd be best off if you just create 2 separate accounts on the computer (mac or pc) for many other reasons and it also simplifies using iTunes too, though it's not too bad on the same account.

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting idea with the i-tunes Binky, that makes sense. I am very new to this and want to maximize the little things potential.
I was hoping I could get another one and the i-tunes would sync with both, doesn't work like that I guess..
Thanks

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there are "ways" to get 2 iPods to work off the same library, but it's not something that Apple will make easy since it's recording industry restrictions that they're working under.

Happy iPod'ing!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
firefox has a add on ya can download youtube videos then use a program called super to convert to apple codec not sure if it has apple codec but super has a boat load of codecs good luck

gorn

Enlightened
I have one of the new nano's. I love the thing. I have it loaded up with audio books for now, well, with a couple hundered songs and 2 videos.

You can use firefox to download youtube videos then use "Super" to easily convert them to the apple format.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find tons of information at many places. One place to start is probably at Apple's Nano support page

You can't do YouTube like you can on, for example, the iPod Touch or iPhone but you can download videos.

If you're totally new to using an iPod, then the first thing to get used to is the way it's designed it to integrate with iTunes on your computer. It's not really a totally independent device. If you kinda think of it as an accessory for iTunes instead of the other way around then maybe things will be more clear about its capabilities. (The iPod Touch kinda finally starts coming into its own finally, but the Nano is still a dongle for iTunes in my opinion.)

So think of iTunes as home base. Then ... if you can get it on iTunes you can afterward sync it into the Nano and take it with you.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Oh -- yes you can use 2 on the same computer but unfortunately you have to build 2 separate libraries, one for each iPod. You'd be best off if you just create 2 separate accounts on the computer (mac or pc) for many other reasons and it also simplifies using iTunes too, though it's not too bad on the same account.
You do not have to make two different libraries. As long as both iPods and the people who use them do not mind sharing their music libraries, one is good enough.

To support two different iPods, you make two different playlists, one for each iPod (iTunes makes one itself anyway), and sync the iPod with only its own playlist. That's how you manage a single iPod Nano which cannot take the whole library.

Only problem here is that iTunes for Windows cannot sync two iPods at the same time.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keepvid is a great way to download videos no matter what browser you use. Just insert the link and it will give you a download link. Once you have it use Super to convert it to an Ipod format.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dude ya will love super its so cool.i use linux 24/7 sadly i cant find a linux port of it

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new iPods will not work with Linux anymore for syncing, the Second Gen Nano, Second Gen Shuffle (current), and 5.5 Gen iPod classic were the last ones to support Linux Syncing.
There's a little wrong with that statement. Apple and iPod do not care if they run with Linux, they cannot 'support' Linux by definition. They never offered Linux software themselves. All software running under Linux syncing with iPods was, Linux-specific, 3rd party, usually freeware and open-source, software.

Correct is that current available Linux syncing software does not work with newer iPods right now. Which probably will change once a 3rd party has written new Linux software.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have managed to download a video from you tube, what format does the IPOD play videos? I can't seem to find it. The video is an instructional video, quality of the video or vocals is not terribly important.
now I just need to get it onto the Nano..

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are using Super, where it says "select the output container", click the drop down menu and select Apple-Ipod or Apple-Ipod 5.5g(higher quality). Drag the file into super and click encode. If you select Apple-Ipod, you will have a drop down menu for different video codecs also.

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
Some things were cleared up, but here are some additional clarifications and answers from a librarian/technology guru.

1) You can have as many iPods as you want connected to a single computer with a single iTunes library. Our library is piloting a program with Apple to deliver audiobooks to students on iPods and we have almost 100 iPods syncing with a single library. At home, on a Windows box I have 4 or 5 syncing to the same library (well, the same two libraries...see below).

2) If you want to create a separate library, you can do so very easily. At home, for example, I have a music library and an audiobook library. To create a new library, just hold down the SHIFT key while double-clicking and opening iTunes. Keep holding SHIFT until a new window pops open letting you select or create a library.

3) One thing I recommend is turning on manual sync mode. When you plug in your iPod and iTunes loads up, click on the iPod listing itself in the left bar. This brings up the iPod configuration screen. Check the box for manual sync and now you can certainly have multiple iPods and even use them on multiple computers!!! [NOTE: In manual mode, you have to "eject" your iPod before unplugging it. You eject by clicking the circle with an up arrow next to the iPod in iTunes.]

4) There is a nice (from reviews, I use Mac mainly) iPod video converter for Windows covered at LifeHacker. Supposedly it also will do direct from YouTube conversions.

5) Have fun, and best of luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Like I said, I do this at work, so I have 5 iPods myself that I switch off between (shuffle, 2-gen nano, new nano, video, and touch).

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, please help me out here since I'm the doofus who said you can't sync 2 iPods to the same library. (I now understand that you can sync to the same library by syncing only to separate playlists that draw from that one library.) ...

Question: If I buy a tune on iTunes it goes into my one library. Can I then sync that tune onto 2 separate iPods?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, please help me out here since I'm the doofus who said you can't sync 2 iPods to the same library. (I now understand that you can sync to the same library by syncing only to separate playlists that draw from that one library.) ...

Question: If I buy a tune on iTunes it goes into my one library. Can I then sync that tune onto 2 separate iPods?
From Apple's support on authorization:
* iTunes DRM-protected music includes audio with a bit rate of 128 kbps and allows users to transfer songs and videos to up to five computers, burn seven copies of the same playlist to CD, and sync to an unlimited number of iPods.
(highlighting mine).