Beam Type preferences

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. Just curious about the rest of you.
Do you prefer the traditional spot with spill of the paraboloid-based flashlights or the more defined shape produced by TIR or other optics?

I myself like the higher punch with less spill but thats just my personal flavor.

Anyone?

Thanks.

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
for smaller flashlights like 2AAA I like reflectors, even 3AAA or 2CR123A.

As they get bigger, i like as much like in the spot as possible.
I guess I like the "spot light" quality of light...love to see it cutting through the dark without all the spill.

Stromberg

Enlightened
I think it depends on flashlight usage.

I agree. For small distances(about 0-10 meters) reflectors with small hotspot and large sidespill give more usable light pattern(for example if I have to search something in the room). To longer distances(> 10 meters) I prefer optics because they don't "waste" the light to dim sidespill.

Last edited:

Brozneo

Enlightened
I've never liked TIR optics or pure spots, but my usage is different to everyone elses - I like a bit of throw, with quite abit of flood - so on my mag mods I use reflector numbers 4 and 6 - Heavy OP and Medium Stipple. These provide a great beam - lots of flood and still with throw!

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
I was curious.
I do like the spot/flood of smaller reflectors in smaller handhelds.
However, Surefire has made a killing pushing the TIR optics principle.

GreySave

Enlightened
I have and use both types of light depending upon the application it is being used for. It's more a matter of using the light appropriate to the task. Most of the time I will use a light that offers throw and decent spill/flood. I use the TIR or other optics based lights when I want to get a beam into a narrow space (like a driveway) without lighting up the entire house.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
I agree. For small distances(about 0-10 meters) reflectors with small hotspot and large sidespill give more usable light pattern(for example if I have to search something in the room). To longer distances(> 10 meters) I prefer optics because they don't "waste" the light to dim sidespill.

yep, everyday use, flood is the way to go. outdoors, spot is the way to go.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite indoor light is a LED Lenser David 15. It uses an optic rather than a reflector, giving a pleasing flat-out flood.

Outdoors however, it is all about spot and flood combined. A FiveMega Medium Orange Peel Reflector gives my favourite all-purpose beam.

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
so for the most part, it seems people here prefer the reflector style beams....

have anyone looked at softer TIR fields? like a 8-10 degree soft spot? its a mix between a narrow spot and flood....

thats actually my favorite....all the light is in the beam, but the beam is softer and more unform...doesnt throw as far but has a much nicer appearance than traditional flashlight fields

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself like the higher punch with less spill but thats just my personal flavor.
there is only "no punch with less spill"
--> less light overall

any optic I have used so far did lead to a weaker hotspot and less spill (in case of Tiros' no spill and a weaker primary)
(and I have tested quite some)

just try it: get 2 identical led, wire them in series, power them up, put any optic and a reflector on, compare, change them between the led, compare again.
Reflector wins any time. Hotspot and spill!

PS: most reflectors I have gotten so far seem to focus at about 6-8 degrees

Grubbster

Enlightened
I started with a preference for throw but have changed gradually to prefer flood. They are much more useful for me. The Zebralight and mule are great lights.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to cast my vote for the optic based spot light type lights. They appear brighter since the beam is so tight. People are impressed!! Who looks twice at someone using a 3AAA 8led light? So primative!!

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
there is only "no punch with less spill"
--> less light overall

any optic I have used so far did lead to a weaker hotspot and less spill (in case of Tiros' no spill and a weaker primary)
(and I have tested quite some)

just try it: get 2 identical led, wire them in series, power them up, put any optic and a reflector on, compare, change them between the led, compare again.
Reflector wins any time. Hotspot and spill!

PS: most reflectors I have gotten so far seem to focus at about 6-8 degrees

Thanks.

I actually have done this. It depends on the diameter. All optics whether lenses, reflectors or TIR are simply imaging devices. The effectiveness is dependent on the primary source etendue. In the case of Cree for instance, a reflector can not match the intensity of a TIR or aspheric of equal diameter due to forward lumen loss. In the case of SSC or Lumileds, due to much wider overall primary, there is higher capture rate and reflectors work very well.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
For my use, typically indoors and at shorter distance, I like a lot of spill (the wider the better) with a gradual transition between the spot and the spill.

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
cool
I refer to that pattern as a squeezed lambertian or Mountain

there are 4 general patterns:
"HILL"--wide flat beam with low center to edge ratio (5x)

"MOUNTAIN"--similar to HILL but field is a bit narrower and center is now 10-20x

"MESA"--defined center spot with rapid cutoff and "raised floor" spill

"TOP HAT"--defined center spot with rapid cutoff and very little spill

I like them all

most flashlights are MESAs...a number of the Surefires and others using good TIR are TOP HATs....heavily stipled or faceted reflectors are often Mountains (sometime some TIRs are as well)
the Cree XRE is a Hill by nature