Help me pick a light?

Dan K

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new flashlight. It's primary duty will be as a headlight for a couple of my bikes, used both on and off road. The high-intensity bike headlights I've seen marketed are big, bulky and heavy, with battery packs separate from the lights and the like. To boot, they cost hundreds of dollars. I'd be more likely to mount a 1m candlepower rechargeable boat spotlight to my bars (and I'd save a couple hundred dollars).

I've been looking around and still am not quite sure what I want. On road I'll need to see the road far enough ahead of me to allow me to stop if need be from ~25mph. Off road I'll be much slower, but will need far more spread to choose my lines. Secondary duties will include wandering through the woods and possibly, depending on what light I end up with, some boating and kayaking use. We have other lights for boating and kayaking, however, so if it's not waterproof I won't mind not taking it boating.

I was almost sold on a L2DCE, but the inability to adjust the beam worries me. If I could find one locally and test it I would, but that one missing functionality makes me hesitant to do the mail order thing. One of the things I really like about this light is that it's small and light enough I could helmet mount it if I so chose.

The New ROV 4 Watt 150 Lumen deal caught my eye. Seems like plenty of light (I saw people here say it stomps the L2DCE). I'm concerned it will be too big and heavy for my handlebars, however, and a helmet mount is definitely out. I'm also bothered by comments on rattling batteries and other cheap build aspects. I really, really don't think I can stand for rattling batteries.

What I'm looking for in a light:
Cheap (50ish is about the cap, less would be great)
Light (a D cell Mag just isn't going to work out on the handlebars)
Rugged (I will crash in the woods. I'd like to still find my way out.)
Snug (I don't want to hear the batteries rattle as I ride)
Water Resistant (little rain shouldn't kill it, doesn't have to be submergible)
Small (AA light would be great if I can get enough light from it, I can go a tad larger but not too much)

So, basically, I want it all and I don't want to pay for it. Easy, right? I'd love some suggestions and recommendations, and it's an added bonus if I can pick up in a store and return if I don't like it as opposed to mail order. I'm in northeast US if that matters.

Thanks,
Dan

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new flashlight. It's primary duty will be as a headlight for a couple of my bikes, used both on and off road. The high-intensity bike headlights I've seen marketed are big, bulky and heavy, with battery packs separate from the lights and the like. To boot, they cost hundreds of dollars. I'd be more likely to mount a 1m candlepower rechargeable boat spotlight to my bars (and I'd save a couple hundred dollars).

I've been looking around and still am not quite sure what I want. On road I'll need to see the road far enough ahead of me to allow me to stop if need be from ~25mph. Off road I'll be much slower, but will need far more spread to choose my lines. Secondary duties will include wandering through the woods and possibly, depending on what light I end up with, some boating and kayaking use. We have other lights for boating and kayaking, however, so if it's not waterproof I won't mind not taking it boating.

I was almost sold on a L2DCE, but the inability to adjust the beam worries me. If I could find one locally and test it I would, but that one missing functionality makes me hesitant to do the mail order thing. One of the things I really like about this light is that it's small and light enough I could helmet mount it if I so chose.

The New ROV 4 Watt 150 Lumen deal caught my eye. Seems like plenty of light (I saw people here say it stomps the L2DCE). I'm concerned it will be too big and heavy for my handlebars, however, and a helmet mount is definitely out. I'm also bothered by comments on rattling batteries and other cheap build aspects. I really, really don't think I can stand for rattling batteries.

What I'm looking for in a light:
Cheap (50ish is about the cap, less would be great)
Light (a D cell Mag just isn't going to work out on the handlebars)
Rugged (I will crash in the woods. I'd like to still find my way out.)
Snug (I don't want to hear the batteries rattle as I ride)
Water Resistant (little rain shouldn't kill it, doesn't have to be submergible)
Small (AA light would be great if I can get enough light from it, I can go a tad larger but not too much)

So, basically, I want it all and I don't want to pay for it. Easy, right? I'd love some suggestions and recommendations, and it's an added bonus if I can pick up in a store and return if I don't like it as opposed to mail order. I'm in northeast US if that matters.

Thanks,
Dan

Wolf Eyes

They are tactical class lights meant for weaponry, hence they can take a beating, smacking a tree, gravel, another helmet, and are weatherproof.

6AX series LED, with Q2 emitter.

Price around $79.99, sorta outta your range, but I would guess more durable than Fenix. I love Fenix, but I trust Wolf Eyes.

Dan K

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome, Marduke, and thanks even more for the link!

Grun, thanks for the lead. I'll check it out. I am not totally opposed to spending 80 if I find I can't get what I want for ~50. ~50 could be 60, maybe 65 and then really 79 isn't too much more… (I do this with my bikes too. It's an expensive way of budgeting.)

That light also would mount to a couple of my firearms, which may justify a few extra dollars. The only thing I don't like is the special batteries.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Dan. In your first post you mentioned that you wanted a light that can adjust its beam. Many of the adjustable beam lights leave a lot to be desired. Most lights bought and discussed here are fixed focus for a reason - they are good enough for 95% of the uses. If you need another type of beam for the other 5%, you use a different light designed for that specific need.
I bike and mountain bike. The only lights I've used at night mountain biking are headlamps, so I can't say from actual experience but I do think the L2D-CE I have would be a very good light to mount on a bike or a helmet. It gives enough light for most riding situations and has good runtime, especially if you dim the light when possible. Could you ride at full speed in all situations - NO, but to do that you would probably have to go with one of the $300 [& up] light systems. I don't think you could go wrong in trying out the L2D, it is a great light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Like the mag focusing beam, most focusing light only have two beam patterns, tight and useless.

Unless you want to build your own light, the L2D-CE(Brighter and more expensive Rebel 100 version) should be enough for a bike light that you can use everyday ans a hand held light. If not, buy two lights, one floody one for close range and one tighter beamed one for further range. But that will be above your $50 price point.

:welcome: