Yet another A2 review

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Ok,

I didn't want to intrude on FCs thread (didn't want to be rude).I haven't posted about it because I was too busy using this thing. First off, Doug at SF CS is great. He got the A2 to me $131 shipped(25% off to LEO/Military/Medical) in 1 business day! Cheers to SF!

They shipped me a Combat Tactics Mag (Which I have like 3 of them) but no 2003 Catalog! How rude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
fc8ece0a.jpg

I couldn't wait to go inside so I opened it on top of my dryer.
fc8ece08.jpg

Took it inside and got together a few of my lights for size reference. Think of it as the E2e but as long as the M2.
fc8ece07.jpg

This is getting to be M*g AA size.
fc8ec1fe.jpg

fc8ebbe5.jpg

First Impression:

Tailcap:
The A2 is actually quite small. What makes is seem large is the tailcap. The tailcap is a dual stage one so it must be almost screwed off to activate the Lock Out Feature, I didn't like that. In fact, when you back it out to LO status, you can see the o-ring. Thumbs down on that.

When you screw down the tailcap, the LED comes on and about a full turn later, the main lamp comes on. So if it wasn't for the LEDs, the tailcap would be smaller and screw down more. An A2 with E2e tailcap and non-LED lamp (Just the mainlamp) would be the perfect EDC light for me.....then again I'm not a pilot for which this was intended.

Beam
The LED light is somewhere between the ARC AAA and Inova X5t. It's bluish white color. You can see the LED light bouncing off the reflector due to the beam shape projected on the wall. It's really hard to photo but it looks like 3 half circles surrounding the hotspot.
fc8e9534.jpg

The main lamp is a little oval, hardly noticible except to us Flashaholics. Compared to the E2e, to my eyes, the output was the same. The A2 was a tad bit whiter and tighter. I ran both E2e and A2 constant for 25-30 minutes (give or take a few seconds...it's not scientific here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) and THIS IS WHAT MAKES THE A2 Great! The E2e is starting to dim, which I probably would not have noticed normally since it's gradual but....(A2:Left/ E2e:Right) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
fc8e9533.jpg

I know there have been many reviews by more qualified people (not an amateur like me), but if you have any questions about the A2 please ask. I can take whatever pictures or beamshots you want.

Carry Comfort
I'm going to carry this today in my front pocket where I usually carry my E2e and see if the added length is bothersome. Considering the length, this may be a holster light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just tried the V82 Nylon Holster for the E2e and the A2 does not fit. DOH. Front pocket carry is possible but a bit cumbersome. I can feel it jabbing me when I sit down. So this is definitely a back pocket or holster light.

The A2 is worth is and I'm glad I got it. For what it's worth, it gets my recommendation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
fc8ec8d3.jpg

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
SFM6...That's a great collection of lights you've got there! I'm glad to hear that the A2 isn't that long, probably as long as an E2e w/KL1. I can't wait to get mine from TW! Thanks for the pics and review. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
That's just what was on my shelf at the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I didn't want to break out the NIB, truck mounted ones and such.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't want to intrude on FCs thread

[/ QUOTE ]

That tread is getting waaaaaay tooooo loooong............ Thanks anyways.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think between FC, SFM6, and I...we have all the handheld lights that Surefire makes! haha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
.....An A2 with E2e tailcap and non-LED lamp (Just the mainlamp) would be the perfect EDC light for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

M6,

Thanks for that informative review and those pics. I too would like a non-LED A2, which would be noticeably shorter and lighter with perhaps a smaller diameter bezel so that it closely matched the E2E in all dimensions.

Brightnorm

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Shelby's collection is a sight to behold. Maybe he will re-post it for us one day. I have the entire line of SF Handheld lights except for the USA 6P and Purple 6P.

Shelby and Al have them all except they have like 12 of each .... sheesh.

FlameOn

Enlightened
"I too would like a non-LED A2, which would be noticeably shorter and lighter with perhaps a smaller diameter bezel so that it closely matched the E2E in all dimensions."

What is the advantage of this configuration over an e2e?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlameOn...The regulation of the incandescent light bulb would be the advantage. That means the light would remain white the entire time that it's on! No more getting yellow as the battery dies down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlameOn

Enlightened
thanks...this would be cool in an e1e size....do they plan to make a single lith?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the shot next to the Mag and Inova.

I was beginning to think the A2 was huge compared to the E2 but that picture brought me back to reality. It is bigger than an E2 but still shorter than the Mag which is pretty impressive considering the two stage switch.

Pat

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
any M2 holster(nylon) should work. might be a little loose but i don't see that as a problem.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
any M2 holster(nylon) should work. might be a little loose but i don't see that as a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

tkl,

I have been looking for a flapped (fully enclosed) black nylon holster for the M2, without success. If you know of any could you please post?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

SUREFARC

Enlightened
What about the spec of the leds in the A2? Are they as good as the one in the ARC AAA/LE?

SUREFARC

Enlightened
SurefireM6, how about a comparison beamshot of the A2 leds and the X5T? Thanks!

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Here ya go!

3 Generations of Inova: Old Style(Left) , New Old style(Mid) , Newest style(Right) , A2(Far Right)
fc8e2f90.jpg

Inova X5T (Left), A2 LEDs (Right)
fc8e2f8f.jpg

Arc AAA (Left), A2 LEDs (Right)
fc8e2f91.jpg

X5Tt is definitely much brighter with a larger hotspot. I think the X5T is direct drive w/5 LEDs so its brighter with less runtime than the A2's 3 LEDs which are resistored (I think)