Foam retainer... which glue to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday, I noticed my Arc AAA started to flicker whenever I turned it on.

Had a look inside, and what did I see?

The foam retainer lost it´s connection to the bezel.

Obviously the factory-style glue didn´t like my silicon grease too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So... what to use to re-glue it to the bezel?

I thought about super-glue ( cyano-acrylate ), but I´m quite unsure if it might hurt the PCB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Any suggestions what to use?

Seth

napalm-2002

Enlightened
while i cant say what glue to use but the retainer is not giving you the flicker.
try the light without the foam retainer and you'll find out it is still doing it.

you need to give it a roll crimp.

search "roll crimp" in arc threads.

mike

Seth

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
napalm-2002 said:
while i cant say what glue to use but the retainer is not giving you the flicker.
try the light without the foam retainer and you'll find out it is still doing it.
mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

thanks for your suggestion,
but guess what I tried first? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Right, trying out how it behaves w/o the foam retainer. Didn´t flicker at all. This foam thing simply got stuck between the PCB and the + contact of the battery.

The flicker is completely gone without the foam retainer, right now the Arc is working completely ok also with it because I manually centered the foam retainer on top of the battery, floating freely inside the battery compartment.

I could live with it because the Arc is doing fine, but out of esthetics, I dislike the idea of loose parts inside my precious AAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seth

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc does supply new retainers and o-rings with a request and a Self addressed stamped envelope. They generally respond quickly to e-mails.

Moat

Enlightened
I wouldn't use super glue - way too permanent(overkill), and its low viscosity/high capillary flow may carry it between the PCB contact and the flashlight body, permanently insulating it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Just a dab of kitchen drawer-variety rubber/contact cement will do. You'll have to thoroughly clean the silicone grease off with solvent (contact cleaner, acetone, etc...) to get anything to stick again, tho.

Bob

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Unforgiven!

If I´d live in the U.S. that would be my first choice...

But living overseas... Where to get U.S. stamps for an SASE? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess I´ll fix it the way Bob recommends.

Seth

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Seth,

If you e-mail Arc about needing new foam retainer(s) and let them know that you are overseas, I am sure they will work something out with you. I know I've come across cases where they have had to do it before; they will probably just ask for some small charge to cover postage. As long as you are going to the trouble, you may want to get an extra and maybe an o-ring or two. I would strongly recommend e-mailing them because they really are quite helpful.

Pat

PS When/if you e-mail them, you can always ask if they have any recommendations about which glue to use.

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Pat,

I thought about this myself ( sending Arc some cash ), but decided it´s too much effort for too little reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyhow, you guy´s here at CPF are great!
I have a small problem and a bunch of really helpful answers follows... CPF is absolutely one of the nicest places to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seth

ChrisA

Enlightened
hi seth,

just remove all the sticky stuff from the foam retainer and drop it inside the battery-tube... that way the cell won't rattle and the light will function like new. i did that to some of my arc aaa's because i kept destroying the foam retainer when changing the cell.

chris

Ratdog

Newly Enlightened
I make my own retainers out of self adhesive foam rubber disks which are sold as furniture or lamp base nonslip feet. I can get a sheet of about 30 of them at the dollar stores. I use the battery barrel of the light itself to cut the outer diameter of the disk to the exact inside diameter of the barrel itself. Simply use the sharp edge of the barrel to push with a wobbling motion on a hard surface and cut the disk to size. (Not a very good explanation but if you think about it you will figure it out). You can then use something similar to an empty .22 shell casing to cut the inner hole for the battery "+" opening. Then stick your new retainer in place and presto! Works great for Arc AAA, LSx and CMG Infinity and Ultra. PS This mod cures the rattling battery problem on the CMG Infinity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

keyman

Newly Enlightened
the round"donut shaped" wort pads would work great.It even has the sticky stuff on the one side"no glue needed".....:)

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the arc aaa is a version 3.1, then the flickering is probably caused by dirty threads. for a while i thought my aaa was done for, then i gave it a good cleaning inside out and relubed it, and it worked like new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i accidentally destroyed my foam retainer too though, so my battery rattles. i emailed arc about it and merri said she'll send me some retainers free of charge; but when i asked for some O-rings as well in case, she said there weren't any at the moment and would send it out when they had some. i think she might have forgotten about it, but i found that my arc works better without the retainer, except for the battery rattle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seth

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ratdog said:
This mod cures the rattling battery problem on the CMG Infinity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
This is simply brilliant !!!
DIY foam retainer for Ultra´s...
C`mon CMG Equipment... if you read this, give this guy some serious $$$ for his idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ratdog, a big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif for your idea!

Seth

Ratdog

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much Seth for that big thumbs up! It is simply an application of existing technology to cure a similar problem. I wish CMG would see fit to give me serious money for this but, alas, I'm certain I will remain penniless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.