Crimson Trace white LED mod.

SouthNarc

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!

I have a project I've had my mind on for some time, however lack the ability to actualize it, so I thought I'd pop a flare and see if anyone was willing to try their hand.

A company called Crimson Trace manufactures a product called the Lasergrip which attaches to the butt of a handgun and projects a laser used for aiming.

http://www.lasersights.com/html/glock_lasergrip.html

I've always thought that a really cool mod would be to replace the laser with a white LED for a small, on the gun light that could illuminate a target within the confines of a room. I know that the Photon lights provide enough usable light for target ID so I don't think size is a factor.

I have one of the Glock lasergrips that I'd be willing to pony up if someone is interested and thinks they could make this work

Anyone interested?

bouncer

Enlightened
Southnarc
I've been thinking along those very lines but I wanted to keep the "laser" also and I wanted the light a bit brighter than a Photon or Inova microlight
P_S
now I feel special Southnarc and I think alike wooohoo!!!

and I love my clinchpick !!!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Two downsides - Lasergrips (a very good product) cost >$200, so not a cheap mod. And since the actual laser is mounted on one side of the grip, you would probably loose half the beam by it's being obstructed by the pistol itself. Seems the best would be the lasergrip and a rail mount momentary light. Or a laser on one side and a light on the other.....

I would rather have the laser aimer than a light if I had to choose.

Keep us posted please.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Other than what Bigiron said, I'm doubtful a 5mm LED is enough light for use in conjunction with a handgun.

bouncer

Enlightened
A five mm no and Bigiron is right you would not only lose beam you would side silhouette the weapon BUT how about an under barrel mount or the old trigger guard clamp for a tiny light like an Orb wee or even an orb raw depending on the weapon the only problems would be holster compatability, custom mount for each weapon and proper momentary switching. This idea came to me a couple weeks ago and I dropped it as unworkable. Thanks Southnarc I was up half of last night working out ideas when I saw your post I realized I wasn't just a good idea it was a great idea and I couldn't get it out of my mind. LOL

Now I want to build one and put it on a Glock 26 too bad funds are so short

Last edited:

SouthNarc

Newly Enlightened
Is the Photon Micro light a 5mm LED? If so then IMO there's plenty of light to shoot with at room distance. At least there is for me.

jcompton

Enlightened
Wich glock would this be for??? If it was for a 26, as much as I would prefer to keep the stock guiderod I would rather see the mod done to the lasermax which resides inside the slide of the glock, for the coolness factor and the possibility of a reflector. Then you can keep the CT Lasergrips for the laser, which not unlike BIGIRON, I would prefer over a light if I had to choose. Now if it were a green laser...:grin2:

I have also been thinking about a tac light recently, but my thoughts have been going in another direction. The new (non subcompact) models now come with a Picatinny rail which allows for an array of solutions to the light issue. I, on the other hand would like to find a laser/light combo that has the laser on top(for more accurate sighting range)/light below, that I can have modded with a Rebel100 (or 2) :naughty:. This way if you choose to change which firearm you will be using, the light/laser will not become a shelf queen.

bouncer

Enlightened
Actually the lasemax conversion is too much trouble to change the batteries I was thinking of a small light with high enough output to function as if it were a surefire weaponlight in a more compact package say for a small pistol that are not made with rails (glock sub compact, Naa guardian, keltec p3at/p32) I think if an Orb ns could be remade with a remote tape switch and one level of light between 80-100 lumens without making it too much larger and a small custom mount or the mount functions as a switch and the light engine screws into that just not sure if the electronics can handle recoil

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one time KeLTec was working on an integral laser incorporated into a "bump" molded into the grip assembly in front of the trigger guard of the 3AT. Don't think anything ever developed. Woud probably push the cost way beyond their business model.

Those composite grip assemblies are easy to mod with a dremel and adhesive. Not much room to work with, but there's possililities.

Hi guys!

I have a project I've had my mind on for some time, however lack the ability to actualize it, so I thought I'd pop a flare and see if anyone was willing to try their hand.

A company called Crimson Trace manufactures a product called the Lasergrip which attaches to the butt of a handgun and projects a laser used for aiming.

http://www.lasersights.com/html/glock_lasergrip.html

I've always thought that a really cool mod would be to replace the laser with a white LED for a small, on the gun light that could illuminate a target within the confines of a room. I know that the Photon lights provide enough usable light for target ID so I don't think size is a factor.

I have one of the Glock lasergrips that I'd be willing to pony up if someone is interested and thinks they could make this work

Anyone interested?

Fellow CPFer Milkyspit is usually up for a challenge like this. Send him a PM. He's busy, but he'd probably do it.

bill lafferty

SouthNarc

Newly Enlightened
Wich glock would this be for???

Any of them. I just happen to have a set of CT Lasergrips that I'm willing to butcher.

Guys I'm well aware of the value of lasers, and white light and all their permutations. I teach in the private sector and run a SWAT team for my agency.

This just happens to be a pet project that I'd like to see done. It's not something I really need as I have IR Crimson Trace laser grips on my 1911, an X200, and an pair of AN-PVS-21s in my vehicle. And a PVS-14....and a TAM-14 Thermal imager......you get the picture.

Bill thank you for the lead to Milkyspit. I'll reach out for him.

jcompton

Enlightened

If it is possible, Milky is the best man for the job, if it is impossible, you'll just have to give him a little more time to get it done!

Right now Milky has a couple of lights that he is working on for me as well as a few that are still in the think-tank stage, but I also plan on having him mod my tac light when I finally get around to it. He is by far your best choice and every aspect of his work is unsurpassed. You can't go wrong with Scott. A far as getting in touch with him, you might want to PM him over in the marketplace since his inbox here is usually full. You can also find his email in his latest threads (I would type it out but as he went through the extra effort of posting it as an image, to avoid spamming I would assume, I would rather not be the cause any unnecessary emails cluttering his inbox). He is diligent in regard to responding to inquiries but keep in mind that he is a busy man and it may take a few days. In the end it will be well worth the wait.

Good luck.

bouncer

Enlightened
Any of them. I just happen to have a set of CT Lasergrips that I'm willing to butcher.

Guys I'm well aware of the value of lasers, and white light and all their permutations. I teach in the private sector and run a SWAT team for my agency.

This just happens to be a pet project that I'd like to see done. It's not something I really need as I have IR Crimson Trace laser grips on my 1911, an X200, and an pair of AN-PVS-21s in my vehicle. And a PVS-14....and a TAM-14 Thermal imager......you get the picture.

I can't speak of the rest of the board but your name is QUITE familiar to me I own a clinchpick and I'm calling MD Tactical this week to order your DVD's and either a P'kal folder or clinchpick trainer just finalizing my decision.
ps when the grips are finished I'd love to see some pics

Last edited:

Latest posts