P1D CE Q5 is on THE Fenix store site

LightScene

Enlightened
I'm amazed that they are holding the price at $61 for the Q5. Congratulations to Fenix for not gouging this time around.

I'm disappointed that they are still using the same crippled electronics that don't work properly with standard 3.7V RCR123's.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm amazed that they are holding the price at $61 for the Q5. Congratulations to Fenix for not gouging this time around.

I'm disappointed that they are still using the same crippled electronics that don't work properly with standard 3.7V RCR123's.
What are you talking about?

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

I have both 3.7 cells and 3.0 rechargeable cells.

When I use rechargeables I use a 3.7 if I want to go strait to the highest level.

If I want to get medium on the first twist, then get high on the second twist, and then twist it a third time for low I use the 3.0.

Most of the time I use primaries. When I use a rechargeable, I use a 3.7. I like getting the highest level on the first twist.

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Nice.

I wonder if Fenix will provide the Q5 on any of their other lights (P2D or L0D) or perhaps they are waiting for the R-bins? :drool:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling that we'll see both... More $$$ for Fenix... Bad news for the impatient :sick2:

ikelo

Newly Enlightened
it was too much to resist this one on payday! my girlfriend is starting to complain about me buying flashlights. i better not tell her about this one.:sssh:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i like my non memory fenix ALOT better than my
memory aa rebel.

start in low and go from there.
i hate cycling through five levels to change, and why start on the brightest and go down. just asking to ruin night vision.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
We don't need a memory, we need a clicky... ok clicky with memory:party:

Still I started comparing this little thing (current P4) with my Dereelight CL1H v2 and I'm more impressed than I was when I first got it. Of all the twisties I have this is my favorite because the size of the light and the smooth threading really make it easy. Even my L0D-CE is stiff, too stiff for one haded operation. I'll be relubing it, I hope it will help.

The silver looked interested, and I want to see this think with a Q5.

Next upgrade though... they should go for the clicky, drop the Strobe and SOS, and support 3.7V cells. There is a killer light, but they can't increase the length very much for the clicky, and it should still tail stand... the P1D is so great for candle mode. OK the clicky is challenging. I need to test a Leef body.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Congratulations to Fenix for not gouging this time around.

Are you saying that they "gouged" in the past?

I feel that the prices on all the Fenix lights that I have purchased (about 8) have been more than fair.

The word "gouging" gets a little overused, don't you think? Gouging is when you charge $20 for a gallon of gas during a huge natural disaster because people have no choice but to pay the high prices. When you order a flashlight on the internet and the price seems a little high, that's not "gouging."

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would love to hear what you think of the OP reflector when the light arrives, particularly how well it does outdoors versus the orginal P1D CE (assuming you have one). thanks!

Enlightened
You know, the loss of low on the Fenix single 123 lights really makes sense if you think about it. Follow me here.

White LEDs use, what, about 3.5-3.7 volts, right? The single cell lights are made to work with a single CR123A primary which means they have a boost circuit. A freshly charged 3.7V RCR123A is more like 4.2 volts. Kind of hard to boost that voltage DOWN to what the LED needs. I expect that the circuitry required to handle both boost and buck duties would be significantly more complex and expensive than the (still rather good) plain boost circuit that the light uses. Would you be willing to pay whatever extra amount would be required for a drive circuit that swung both ways? Fenix lights, while good, are already pretty expensive in my book. They probably don't feel that loss in sales from the increased cost is worth it.