Novatac EDC-120P - Weak hotspot?

96TL

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 120P a few days ago. I feel like the beam is just not right. There is barely any hotspot and it looks like the light is too "spread" out. My Luma M1 is MUCH brighter. If you stare directly into the 120P, its blinding, but the beam pattern is just not impressive.

Could it be that the emitter is off centered in the reflector? Can anyone post some beamshots of their 120P so I can compare?

Thanks for the help.

96TL

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip!

I looked at the beamshots. My 120P looks nothing like that! I definitely have a problem. Not sure if its the reflector or something else. I will take some pics tonight. I knew it couldn't be right. I expected a lot more for a 120 lumen rating.

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M1 uses a bigger reflector and depending on the model a Cree LED, this produces a tighter beam(more throw). The 120P uses a SSC LED, OP reflector, producing a very smooth beam(practically no hot spot). The M1 will have a higher lux rating. In total out the front lumens they are close. A tighter beam will appear brighter than a smooth beam of equal lumens. One other thing the included battery was almost dead on my 120P. You could also try a factory reset just in case.

Last edited:

96TL

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I will try a FRESH battery tonight.

I know the SSC LED and OP reflector result in a smoother beam with less throw, but my beam looks nothing like the beamshots posted in the reviews.

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I will try a FRESH battery tonight.

I know the SSC LED and OP reflector result in a smoother beam with less throw, but my beam looks nothing like the beamshots posted in the reviews.

Keep in mind that beamshots on a white wall usually don't accurately represent what the actual beam looks like to our eyes because of shutter speeds, ISO, white balance, etc. I think you're just used to your M1 (insane throw light) and the Novatac 120P is generally on the floody side. It's almost the same as my L4's beam but with a tiny bit more concentrated hotspot but there's no cutoff from hotspot to spill, it's gradual.

96TL

Newly Enlightened
there's no cutoff from hotspot to spill, it's gradual.

Ah ha! Thats exactly what I'm seeing! In the beamshots posted in the reviews though, it looks like there is a pretty strong hotspot though. I guess the camera just makes it appear that way. And maybe you're right that I'm just used to my M1. I'm going to try a fresh battery tonight anyway and see if that makes any difference.

Besides my concerns about the beam, I really like this light. It's pretty easy to program, and feels well made. I already got my Fenix trit bezel and glo-rings. And I have a UCL lens and some green trits en route. All this light needs now is a lanyard attachment.

Thanks all.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
On some of the earlier released Novatacs, there were some problems with an internal retaining ring. Maybe if this ring is loose it might cause the reflector to be off just enough to affect the beam? The hotspot is supposed to blend into the sidespill but there should be a definite hotspot.

imaginefj

Newly Enlightened
The binocular looking device is two seperate lanyard tensioning devices if you will. They are spring loaded and can be found on everything ie draw string bags.