Fenix P2D-Rebel 100 for bike

Tremendo

Enlightened
I went for a late night bike ride with my 6 year old the other night (6 1/2 miles). I used to put a JetBeam CR123 on his bike, or a Miller Mod Fenix L1P, or even a Fenix P1D-CE. Well I put on the P2D R100 and it was awesome. I used it on High, and the tint is very easy to see through the sidespill even at a distance. That's what I want, for cars to see him way off. On High, the spill lights up the entire path very well, the spot is probably brighter than need be, but on Medium the spill was not bright enough for me. The perfect light would be a bigger & less defined spot, such as my FF3. However, the P2D R100 is brighter and a better tint for his bike than my FF3, and the runtime is great. All in all a great bike light.

paulr

Flashaholic
I suggest an L2D battery tube so you can run it on rechargeable AA cells. I can't imagine calling something a great bike light if you have to dispose of a lithium battery every couple hours of operation.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
we use cheap plastic holders here:

as75j0bnif5wwom7o.jpg

Tremendo

Enlightened
What did you use to mount it on the bike?
I used the two fish velcro mounts. They are great and easy to use, I've got 3 of them now. Got them at Lighthound.

I dig the disposable CR123's. For me they are practical, carrying a spare is easy and light. I never worry what the battery status is, I always have an extra fully sharged available. I have RCR123's that would work the same in the light for my needs, it would be on turbo but that would be fine. My choice is my preference, if others agree fine, if not, fine. It works for me :).

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a L2D RB100 for a frame mounted light and it works well, I just need another one to make the beam wider. My L1D CE is a good helmet mounted light due to the more defined spot (waiting for L2D CE Q5)

Imagine a P2D RB100 with a buck/boost curcuit to run 186500 lithium-ions, throw in low voltage warning flash every 30 seconds and thermal regulation. :)

Maybe it is time for Fenix to make a bike light?

GregWormald

Enlightened
If you want a wider hotspot and better spill, how about a LiteFlux LF3? I find the LF3 much better around the house than the P2D--although mine is a Cree. The Seoul in the LF3 is like the P2D but with a mild diffuser.
That's the other option--how about a diffuser for the P2D?
Greg

Tremendo

Enlightened
That's the other option--how about a diffuser for the P2D?
Greg
That's probably a simply and good idea. Although I am VERY happy with it as is. Just to be "perfect" a little bigger spot would be nice, but I'm good as is.

My 6 year old was on the street last night with buddies on bikes, and when I came back from a night run (with FF3 in my hand), from 300 yards away my son was extremely visible. He has the P2D RB100 on Medium in front and a blinking red bikelight on back. Also little fireflies on the tire valves, which weren't near as noticeable from far away, but help for side view from closer. The blue/white LED color of the P2D RB100 grabs you attention very quickly, making him much more visiable even in the spill area. And just the lighting up of the street with the spot pointing down 6 feet in front of the bike is very easy to see from far away as well.

I just feel much better with him outside at night with strong lights for others to see as well.

Latest posts