Price drops on (USB) flash drives

guncollector

Enlightened
Just thought I'd pass along that CompUSA, and other makers of USB flash drives have recently dropped their prices on the keychain-sized 128MB devices.

They were selling for about $80.00 a week ago, and this week, it seems CompUSA and other makers of similar products have all dropped their price to $50.00 (after Rebate).

If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're missing out on. I used to carry my files on a ZIP disk, which I thought was pretty compact and convenience. Well, the $50 USB flash drives have 30% more storage space than the original ZIP disk, and you can carry it on your keychain. It's awesome.

Here's a pic of CompUSA's version:
299203_f.gif

Try one out and see what you've been missing.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Ron,

Do you need any particular software or driver to use this? I run XP Home on a P4 1.6ghz, and it seems to have all kinds of built-in additions to run various things I've tried plugging in, will this be the same?

Thanks for any reply.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I have the Lexar JumpDrive. It's great way to transfer pics and documents between any computers that have USB ports.

Mr. Bulk, the answer to your question is that you do not need any drivers unless you are running Win 98/98SE. All of the other OS have drivers built in.

The first time you use it your PC will detect the hardware and build a driver base but that's about it. Afterwards your USB flash drive will simply appear as the next sequential removeable drive whenever you insert the drive into the USB port.

These are nifty devices.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"THEY ARE GREAT!!" I'd been "watching" them, but when Saaby originally posted, sometime ago, about the 32mb one from Tiger Direct with the rebate (I think it ended up costing $10 + shipping)...I got that one. Loved it, then moved up to the 128mb one pictured in guncollector's post...so handy when moving files back and forth from my main system to my boys and work as well.

Prices continue to drop, various configurations are available at your favorite Internet or local retailer. Most have a physical "write protect" and some have a user configured password for file access. "Snag" one and try it out! The tiny 128mb is certainly more handy than carrying around 90 floppy disks or a CD, can't get that CD in my pocket! Maybe I'll get a 256....

Tomas

Banned
Just picked up a SanDisk 256MB flash drive for $69 at eCOST to go along with my original 32MB DiscKey unit.

These are great little units, and one of the nicer things about them is they work just fine carrying files from Mac to UNIX to Windows, to whatever with little regard for what system is in use. Excellent for transfering huge image files from my machine to a commercial printer's machine easily and with zero glitches.

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are great, but other options include the card reader/writers that take removable media such as memory sticks or whatever you might be using in a digital camera or electronic organizer. Some of these are pretty cheap if you already have some extra storage media for them. I spotted some for $15-$20 at Best Buy.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep my entire web site on a Lexar 128mb Jumpdrive for backup, as well has a host of other information. Easiest way to transfer data.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Onyx said:
Be careful not to get them wet though. They don't like water one bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking from personal experience, Onyx? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It was either Tiger Direct or PC Mall that had a really good price on the 128's last time I checked. I'll see if I can dig up the info, but those are the two places I would check.

-Mike

Saaby

Flashaholic
I hate these! He he I went to my grandmas house and misplaced mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm sure it will show itself again but it hasn't yet. I loved it before I lost it though.

I don't plan on getting another, I plan on getting 256Mb of SD for my new toy (Dell Axim) and the smallest SD reader I can find.

You know what's worse than getting water on them though? Coming across a computer without USB. Talk about OLD! Even my ancient Laptop has USB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is a rebate, it is neither a price drop, nor on sale. Read the conditions of the rebate very carefully, some do not permit mailing rebate checks to a PO Box.

guncollector

Enlightened
BTW, in WinXP don't forget to properly prepare the flash drive for removal by clicking the icon in your system tray! In Win98, you need to go into Windows Explorer and/or My Computer, find the drive, right-click, then click on "eject" (though obviously it doesn't physically eject anything) before removing the drive.

One more thing, if you carry your drive on a keychain (like I do), and tend to toss it around, a little scotch tape to retain the little cap will prevent its loss.