LED Newbie Needs Help!

S

skips

Hi folks. Creating a night-time (and daytime) lamp to run on 3v (2-AA's)using the brightest red LED's that I can run. What advice can you give that would help me determine, the brightest yet most power efficient solution. I tried using Five (in parallel) 1.7v 3000mcd 20ma LED's (with appropriate resistance). Is there a rule of thumb or formula that might help? Any advice on angle of view? Could there be a better (brighter)solution using a 9v battery? Thanks for your help!

zmoz

Enlightened
Brighter solution would be the Luxeon Star. I beleive the rated voltage is 3.6 to 4 volts, so it probably wouldn't be as bright as usuall from 2 AAs. You could use 4 AAs and the appropriate resistor with that...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
For red and amber and red-orange, the voltage ranges from 2 volts to 3.5 volts. 3 red-orange or Ambers would do very nicely together for a lamp if you need high brightness, but usually, 1 is more than enough for reading and walking around your hall...

S

skips

Thanks for the feedback. Basically trying to create a device similar to the red bicycle tail lamps. To run either on 3v or 9v. It seems a 9v solution using the Luxeon Star's, might give a better solution?? I'd like this to be visible in the daylight as well, thus the need for 5 or more LED's in parallel.