*HELP* Heater core removal - 92 Chevy Truck

skillet

Enlightened
I have a 1992 Chevy 1500 series, 2WD, 4.3L that needs a new heater core. Who has the info to help me not take off a bunch 0'stuff I don't need to..
Do I need to pull the dash or just the lower duct work?

Please advise..

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been 30 years since I used to pull heater cores for replacement--but on some trucks, we used to either have to pull the inner fender well to get the last nut (passenger side)... Or, we would drill out the last stud from the inside (right above passenger's right foot). Put a little caulk/putty in the hole to prevent water/air coming in where the stud was drilled. Saved an hour or so of work. The rest we just used a ring wrench or deep well socket to pull the rest of the nuts.

Don't know if a 1992 truck was still built the same way.

Otherwise, you can sometimes find the shop manuals for old vehicles in the library.

-Bill

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Clymer or Chilton diy manual covering that model should be readily available at auto parts (Pep Boys, etc) stores or Amazon. Our city library has a lot of manuals on both hard copy and DVD's. Our community college tech school has pro Alldata - but you have to work it out with the instructors to use it.

If you're going to be doing a lot of stuff, a subscription to www.alldata.com is worth it. Lot's more than the paper manuals and also give appoximate parts cost and standard shop time.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I'd be willing to bet a couple sticks of dynamite would get that heater core right out of there.
Edit: it's been my personal experience that the heater core in a pickup truck is easier to get at than passenger cars. I think it's because the designers had more room in a truck to work with.
Bigiron suggested getting a manual for the truck. Good Idea.
Best of luck.

Last edited: