AR coating MRV/D-Mini: Proper care? Direction?

cranphin

Newly Enlightened
Hi! :)

Two questions on AR coated lenses, specifically those on MRV/D-Mini's:

- On my cheaper lights I like to use Methylated spirit/Meths/denatured alcohol (that's the names from Wikipedia ) to clean the lens. Is this gonna be a bad idea on my MRV/D-Mini's which are supposed to have AR coated lenses? Aka. will it take off the AR coating?

- Does anyone know if the AR coating on MRV/D-Mini's are one or two sided? Is it possible to put the lens in the wrong way? How do you tell?

Cheers!! :)

winston

Enlightened
Hi! :)

Two questions on AR coated lenses, specifically those on MRV/D-Mini's:

- On my cheaper lights I like to use Methylated spirit/Meths/denatured alcohol (that's the names from Wikipedia ) to clean the lens. Is this gonna be a bad idea on my MRV/D-Mini's which are supposed to have AR coated lenses? Aka. will it take off the AR coating?

- Does anyone know if the AR coating on MRV/D-Mini's are one or two sided? Is it possible to put the lens in the wrong way? How do you tell?

Cheers!! :)

I've seen Meth destroy lives, dude. The last thing your lens needs is a drug habit.:duh2: Seriously, the best lens cleaner I've ever come across is this stuff called Rexton. It should work on any optical surface, coated or otherwise. I used it on my camera lenses (which all have AR coating) and it's never done me wrong. Comes 8oz. for $4 from http://www.sciplus.com/ Search for item #92930.
If you want to talk about aluminum surfaces, then denatured alcohol is your go-to guy.
-Winston

Patriot

Flashaholic
+ one for Rexton. I use it on my optics too.

If it's not convenient for you to purchase Rexton, almost any eyeglass cleaner is safe to use. Additionally, denatured alcohol is safe also.

Just stay away from cleaning products with ammonia in them. :)

cranphin

Newly Enlightened
+ one for Rexton. I use it on my optics too.

If it's not convenient for you to purchase Rexton, almost any eyeglass cleaner is safe to use. Additionally, denatured alcohol is safe also.

Just stay away from cleaning products with ammonia in them. :)

-Thank you-, that's the main thing I wanted to know :D
Mainly cause I didn't realize the lenses were AR at first, and only afterwards figured 'oh, wait..' :)

Not sure Rexton is available easily in EU, tho I guess it's a brand name :) and it doesn't have to be -perfect-, usually stays smudge/dust free for 5 seconds anyways ^.^

Might pick up some cheap packaged eye glass cleaning tissues, saw some in the shop the other day :)

Ammonia, ok, that's the bit I need to remember :D

Had this accident with a anti gloss coated monitor and denatured alcohol, took it clean off :D
But, in that case the monitor was a cheap second hand, the layer was already damaged, and I actually like it better without it :)

Soo...
What is AR coating anyways, as in how is it done and what is it made of ? :)
And, can I assume it's a two sided thing, can't put the lens in the wrong way ? ;)

Thanks! :)

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
I'd kind of disagree with denatured alcohol being okay to clean AR lenses. It used to be that ethanol was denatured by mixing with methanol, but in the U.S. from what I've read the denaturing ingredient has switched to acetone, which is a pretty good solvent (think fingernail polish remover). You can try shopping around for the ethanol/methanol mix but I haven't been able to find it outside of a scientific supply catalog.

There's probably some optical lens cleaner sold at Costco, or bug a friend who wears glasses. Optometrists sometimes give out a free bottle of lens cleaner with a set of glasses, if you get a good AR coating.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
There's probably some optical lens cleaner sold at Costco, or bug a friend who wears glasses. Optometrists sometimes give out a free bottle of lens cleaner with a set of glasses, if you get a good AR coating.
Costco optical cleaner is pretty good for AR coated surfaces, plus they sell it with 2 microfiber cloths and a lifetime supply of refills all for around 5 or 6 bucks.