BEST small LED flashlight for me...need help

Firescooby

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.

I am looking for the BEST (brightest) flashlight for me for a reasonable price. I am needing something very similar to the Pelican PM6. Need something in size as well as some sort of clip for retention. Is the Pelican the brightest for a flashlight under $40? Not gonna spend anymore because it will have a tendency to get lost.

Thanks

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should decide on what kind of batts to use
and general size and runtime

Saiga

Enlightened
UPS is delivering a surefire G2L to me on monday. i got it from opticsplanet for $54 incl. shipping. it uses two 123's with a runtime of around 12 hours, putting out 80 lumens. good-as-it-gets surefire quality, lifetime warranty, and great re-sale potential. figure your $40 budget, plus shipping, so we're talking less than another ten bucks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Defie Bast. Best build, best bang for buck, best modes, best whatever. Also, what do you need the light for.

If you just want brightness, there are $20 lights that will easily outmuscle the Pelican with a Cree XR-E P4 or Seoul P4 LED(double the lumens of the Luxeon I, III, K2 at the same current) driven at 3W-4W(90-110 lumen out the front). But they will only have average quality. Also, there aren't many lights with a pocket clip. And also most of those lights have a reverse clickie, no momentary.

I think the Dereelight CL1H will be great if you can raise your price range and can deal with an aluminum body. A plastic/polymer body is usually bad for LEDs because LED produce heat and the polymer does not allow the heat to escape and unless the flashlight has a temperature sensor, the LED has a much higher risk of burning itself out.

Edit: You seem to be a fireman, so I'm guessing the polymer body is to prevent sparks. The only polymer light that uses the new generation LEDs that I know of is the Surefire G2L.

Last edited:

Firescooby

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!!

The price range isn't set in concrete...but just looking in case I lose it.

I'll be using this attached to my radio shoulder/belt to use. I want something like this so it is handy all the time. It'll be used on medical calls or just general use. Not using it in a firefighting environment...got a different lights for that.

I want something that I can somewhat secure on the shoulder belt and something that I can clean/disinfect. There will be times that I have to use the light with bloody gloves and don't want a lot of "nooks and cranny's" where germs/blood can reside.

Mainly looking for brightness and durability.

I haven't thought about batteries much...but it got me thinking. I don't mind buying the expensive batteries as long as it's not all the time. It'll be used sparingly...just afraid of it getting turned on by accident while sitting on the dash of the truck.

Thanks again!! Keep the ideas and stuff coming!!!