SF M6 died...now what?

rala

Newly Enlightened
as i got ready for work, i thought i heard a noise outside behind my house. so i grabbed my m6 before jumping in my truck. i drove around and lit up the shadows. nada. so off to work i went. got to work and left the m6 on my passeger seat. eight hours later, i clocked out and jumped in my truck. i noticed a weird smell. whatever, i opened my windows. got home, grabbed the m6, and went inside. i stood the m6 on my counter when i noticed some black gunk around the switch. at about that same time i noticed the smell again. i realized it was coming from the m6, so i went outside and opened it. at least one battery had vented melting three of them to the battery carrier. now what do i do?:shakehead

btw, this is the same near mint m6 i got this past may and the same battery station batteries i had in it since then.

sorry, pics are off my phone

Ts0032.jpg

Ts0035.jpg

Ts0036.jpg

Ts0033.jpg

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have a talk with Battery Station and see what they will do for you.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOUCH!!!! man got to get JS and Silverfox to look at this thread here hopefully.

My guess is probably the light was left on without the LOTC switch in the safe position and it completely drained the cells, but this is just a guess and one of the many things that could have gone wrong. Lucky you this did not vent violently.

From what I can see in your pics your tailcap switch is damaged, and most probably the MB20 battery holder is also damaged. I would call Surefire and explain this along with the pics.

A question: When you "lit up and nada" did you leave the light on ? because the batteries might have been dead and even if "nada" they could continue to drain and overdischarge severely.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thank you for sharing the incident with us.

To begin with I agree that you should contact Battery Station.

SureFire states that you should use SureFire SF123A batteries. Even though you've obviously not used the flashlight as per the manufacturer's operating instructions, I suspect that they are unlikely to leave you unsupported. I suggest you contact SureFire as well.

A couple learning points for everybody:

1) Use only the batteries instructed or recommended by the flashlight manufacturer, or, use American-made CR123A batteries such as SureFire SF123A or Duracell DL123A batteries.

2) Positively ensure that your flashlights are disabled when not in use. Where a flashlight has a disable mode - such as a LockOut TailCap - ensure it is used. Where the operating switch(es) can not be disabled; remove the batteries for storage and transportation.

It is sad but I am not at all surprised that you have experienced a failure of a Battery Station CR123A battery. This is not the first time of such reports on CPF. And only the other day a member of AR15.com reported an incident involving Battery Station CR123As in his Browning 9V.

Al

Last edited:

rala

Newly Enlightened
when i said i lit up the shadows and nada, i meant the m6 fired up and i shined it in the shadows. nada meant i didn't find anything unusual, no one hiding.
1) Use only the batteries instructed or recommended by the flashlight manufacturer, or, use American-made CR123A batteries such as SureFire SF123A or Duracell DL123A batteries.
batterystation 123's aren't american made?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have to agree with Al and Nitroz.

Contact both companies. See what they'll do for you. (Hopefully you won't have to pay almost $100 for a new battery-carrier).

To be honest, except for the brand of batteries a company recommends you use in their lights, the only other 123A brand I use are Duracells.

rala

Newly Enlightened
i guess it was wrong for me to assume that since batterystation is based in MO that so are their batteries. i looked at the label and it said P.R.C. WHOOPS. i will try to contact both companies to see what can be done. i hope i can get it fixed or replaced. today is a sad day for my little flashlight family.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I would contact Surefire and explain your problem. You should send it to them and ask if they can quote a price on how much to fix and bring it back up to par. Maybe they can come across a used holder to save some money. It can't hurt to ask.

I would contact Batterystation and let them know what happened. It can't hurt to inquire with them and they might help you out.

Sucks to learn an expensive lesson the hard way but hopefully it won't cost too much to bounce back.

Let us know how you make out.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
when i said i lit up the shadows and nada, i meant the m6 fired up and i shined it in the shadows. nada meant i didn't find anything unusual, no one hiding.

batterystation 123's aren't american made?

OK, so if your M6 lit up at least some cells were OK. If one was at a lower charge state that could have been the problem. Are you certain you left the light off with no possibility of accidental turn on after you lit up in the morning ? Just curious as to what caused the venting because proper advice has been given as to what now.

Phaetos

Enlightened
Didn't someone post about a light that exploded on them that had batterystation 123's in it? A coincidence or poor quality control?

scottaw

Enlightened
I understand that it's probably battery station's fault, but surefire's guarantee is "If it breaks, we fix it" so id say surefire should replace this light whether battery station steps or not.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
This is horrible! I've learnt the hard way about low quality batteries destroying devices, but damn this is a bad introduction for you!

Does battery station have a warranty in relation to batteries? First thing I do when I use batteries is find out if they fail that they and the device are covered by warranty.

Scott, I think Surefire would provide a positive response in relation to the problem. I am however a believer in the 'fair go' rule, and it is the battery station batteries that were to blame. Chase them up first and make them buy you a new m6.

Everyone's opinions may differ, but imho that m6 is destroyed. I would request a replacement. I have had 3 devices (two maglites and an eotech) killed by energizer alkalines, and each time they have paid for a replacement. That is the benefit from buying batteries from a company with a warranty on them....

I'll tell you this much about my current opinion of Energizer: "Fool me 3 times shame on you, fool me 4 or more times shame on me ;) !" I am slowly moving towards using only Surefire and Duracell batteries..

I hope Battery station 123's have such a warranty for your sake :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I understand that it's probably battery station's fault, but surefire's guarantee is "If it breaks, we fix it" so id say surefire should replace this light whether battery station steps or not.

:thinking:

ah yeah....but it didn't break. The battery did.

Of course I'd still contact SF, but it would be by pure grace if they do anything. Not because they should.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
Wash everything the black stuff touched and see a doctor!!! HF is nasty stuff!!!

There's a lot of nasty stuff there. I have no idea what it is but someone else on the forums got really sick from a CR123a battery vent. Be safe.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m trusting and hoping that Surefire will come through for you. Their customer service has always been spectacular in my dealings with them.

Good luck to you!

:)