Be Careful with Your Laptop AC Adapter/Charger

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This is a rant about high prices. Last night my son managed to drop the laptop and break the plug to the adapter. Couldn't find the right sized plug at Radio Shack to attempt a repair and the cheapest replacement adapter I could find today was $100. Can you believe it? What a rip. I could probably get one on line for $50 at best, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance. I'll check a couple more places tomorrow. I guess with something like this they've got you by the short hairs.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
RadioShack's iGo power adapters have "power tips" that you may be able to use. Otherwise, if you are going to buy a whole power adaptor, their iGo universal power adaptors are not that expensive ($50?) and quite good!

gorn

Enlightened
I picked up a power supply for my Wifes Alienware online for $60. Alienware/Dell wanted $150 for it. It is hard to find plugs that fit some laptop power jacks.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Finding the right plug was a problem. I did bring back from RS a pack that looked correct. It almost fit right, but didn"t seem quite correct. Anyway, I ended up finding a replacement at Office Depot with instore and mailin rebates for $47. This is definitely more acceptable. Probably still try to fix the old one if I can find my soldering iron and a little skill.

Geoff