Your "Bump in the night" flashlight.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've heard a couple of CPFers mention relying on a Surefire M6. Heard one talk about a G&P R500 Scorpion. Both high-output lights that instantly turn on when you hit their tailcap switches. Got me curious about the lights that others use when things go bump in the night, and those bumps need to be investigated.

You don't have to be a gun owner to investigate a strange sound. (Maybe the sound came from outside).

I use a stock 2D Maglite. A "bump in the night," in my case, is most likely going to be a neighbor knocking on my door about a fire in the building. And I might need to cut through the smoke with the Mag's inca bulb.

So, what do you have next to the bed that's ready to go at a moment's notice?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I use a variety of lights for "bump in the night" incidents.

Last night someone in my family forgot to close one of the fence gates & I heard it slam a couple times from the wind. Immediately I grabbed the first one closest to me -an HDS Basic 42- and had to "patrol" the backyard. (glad I didn't encounter any bull moose, they're in rut!)

...anyway, that little torch kicked out a pretty good beam to visually inspect the perimeter of the fence. I guess I don't use it enough outside...I was actually surprised! I'd love to see one of those Novatac 120s!!

A D-mini doesn't do a bad job either...but my primary choice would be my Surefire KL3 on a 6P body with an A19 extender. Sure there are brighter lights out there - but for the price (not to mention my thin wallet), this setup is absolutely fine!!

DM51

Flashaholic
Definitely the SF M6 for me - CB version, MN21 too, no half-measures. But if there is only a very small and identifiably non-malevolent bump, I use my E2D or A2 Red.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Mine is a mag 85 with a 3" Delghi head and an awr hotdriver pushing the bulb to 11.3V I like to think that there is enough light there to blind someone giving me a second or 2 to bring down the 3" head for a little get together with there skull

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the M6 CB HOLA for "malevolent bumps" and checking outdoors - a Novatac 120P or PD-S back it up on the bedside table.

BSBG

Enlightened
A2 on the nightstand for casual indoor work, backed up by 6Z w/ P61.

M6 w/ MN21 for going outdoors.

scottaw

Enlightened
6P w/ cree drop in in my nightstand. Actually had to use it the other day when someone started opening my bedroom door....turned out my roommate was just sleepwalking.

ugrey

Enlightened
SureFire M6 backed up by a SF 12P (9P+extender+Digilight 12V LA). I also have a 1 Million CP spotlight at the front and back doors, and I keep a SF Z3 with a P91 in a cargo pocket at night. My city was just named #1 for murders and several other violent crimes in America. Did I mention I live on a dead end street that attracts riff raff? I don't think the wild west was this bad.

P.S. For those of you considering buying a brighter light for "bumps in the night", DO IT, before you need it. When you need it, it is too late. Trust me, for a few minutes each year my SF M6 seems real cheap. At the moment you need it, you would not trade your M6 for a gold bar. Don't end up thinking "Gee, I'm shining my 6P's 60 lumen beam right in that bad guys face and he is hardly even flinching". I dont trust any light under 200 lumens now and if I can get to a light with 500 lumens, I do. 100 lumens is good, 200 lumens is better and 500 still may not be enough. You also better understand that shining a bright light in some ones face is an agressive act on your part. You better have a darn good reason to do it, and be ready (appropriate hardware and a plan B and C) for the aggression to escalate. That is the sermon for today.

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my modded 3D Mägs with multimode circuit, UCL lens and SSC P4 emitter on a solid heatsink. It has superior runtime, has high output and it's something substantial to hold.
Stefan

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
My nightstand light is dual-purpose. It's a MilkySeouled L1 with the ultralow tailcap modification. Great for moving around at night on low, with around a hundred lumens on high for when things go bump.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
+++whatever for the M6 CB with MN21 and full Vbat from Procells. I want as bright and wide as possible with tactical on. My Glock 31 is also by my side.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
For in the house I use an Inova X5 which lights up any room very well. For outside I use an Inova X03 for more throw to see all the corners of the yard.