RCR123, low mode, Cree, bright, small, cheap

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current CR123 Cree works, but the lack of a low mode is starting to bother me. Tired of ruining my night vision and wasting battery power, I've decided to get another one.
The prerequisites are in the thread title. The "cheap" part means either DX or Kai, but I've perused their search and come up with so darn many lights that I don't know what to choose.
Note that I'd like to avoid the useless strobe and SOS modes if at all possible, although if the flashlight has memory (or any other way to start in the last used mode) they don't bother me as much.

Sooo, if you have a light that meets the description or know of one, please give your advice :)

bessiebenny

Enlightened
You will find that most lights these days are generally single or 5 modes.
(By the way, pretty much all of them does have memory feature anyways)

DX site is down so I'll just go by KD lights for now.

Here's one at KD which sorta fits all your criteria. =)
2 Modes CREE LED RC-E4 Black(3V-8V)
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2921
Cree P4, supports 18500 or RCR123A/CR123A and has High/Low modes.

Another one here which seems nice but only supports 3.0v CR123A.
3LEDs + 3W CREE LED 2Mode Black(2x CR123A)
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3086

or... you can always buy a seperate driver and make your own 3 mode flashlight by modding.. =)

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a look at that one, but based on the reviews it got and on some threads I read here it seems to not be all that good.
People have reported serious brightness deficiencies, and the machining seems quite crappy too.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
I've bought 4 of the FMR1's and am pleased with them. They all are extremely bright, esp. on 3.6 volt RCR123's. 2 of the 4 have a whiter beam, 2 are slightly dimmer with a slight greenish tinge to the spillbeam. Even the 2 dimmer ones are outstandingly bright. The clip is kinda useless. It does not have a memory, always opens on high. Has a good low though. Flipping through modes is quick and easy. Machining and anodizing on mine is good. I showed them to friends and now the 2 brighter lights have new homes. Even the "dimmer" lights have got pretty good wow factor for their size. I don't mind keeping and using one of those. Runs for 40 minutes on high with a Powerizer 3 volt LiFePO4, 450ma RCR123. The last 10 minutes is a little dimmer than the first 30. They're cheap, effective and I'll bet more than 90 lumens on high. It's brighter than my JetBeam MKII V1 on 3 volts. Doesn't get hot, though, like the JetBeam does on 3.6 volts.

I haven't tried an EMR1 because of bad experiences others had. And it's a lot more expensive in case it's a dud.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bessiebenny: those are much too large. I'm looking for a light powered by a single 123-sized cell.

Gunner2: the LM33 looks really nice and is probably just what I'd need, but it's not cheap. Taking shipping into account it comes to about 53 USD, which is about double what I can spend.

RecycledElectron: The FMR1 looks nice, but it has no memory. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it had memory, but without it the useless strobe and SOS modes would mean SIX clicks to switch off the light and then switch it on back at the same setting - I think not!

I wish there was a way to disable those modes - a jumper in the light's body, twisting the head a la Fenix, even taking the thing apart and ripping some electronics off - anything. It bugs the hell out of me that all manufacturers seem to think it's such a bright idea to have them.

So basically I need something like the LM33 (2-mode and 3-mode are both ok) but considerably cheaper, OR something like the FMR1 with memory.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump.jpg

INFI

Newly Enlightened
sell something you have around the house and get a SFL1.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about this: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2892
It has 5 modes, but seems to match the other criteria pretty well...
Nice, but the lack of SOS and/or strobe modes, or the presence of memory, is critical.

sell something you have around the house and get a SFL1.
Sorry, no. I feel that spending lots of money for lights is only justifiable if you do something for which you need expensive lights. Spending $135 for ordinary EDC duty is like buying a 7-series BMW to go grocery shopping.

Novaflash

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, no. I feel that spending lots of money for lights is only justifiable if you do something for which you need expensive lights. Spending $135 for ordinary EDC duty is like buying a 7-series BMW to go grocery shopping
I think a lot of people on this forum would disagree with this type of thinking. Several on this forum EDC lights that are more than three times that. I personally own several of what you would consider high priced lights and I don't have the need for any thing more than a one or two cheap bright lights. I enjoy the hobby of collecting and using lights. I know I don't need these lights but I enjoy a high end product of any sort regardless of my intentions for using it. If you don't own any of what you consider high end lights I suggest you try one and see what you are missing. BTW I live in northern VA and you should see the kinds of cars people go grocery shopping in, they make a 7 series look like a Honda.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
WRONG! It does have memory - read onthebeam's review here where I mention in that thread the memory function and how to use it. Or read NOW on DX site a reply I wrote explaining how the memory works on the FMR1's. However the low on these lights may not be as low as FallingWater wants - they are much lower than a comparable Fenix running on RCR123's but I'm guessing it's more like 15-30 Lumens which is a tad bit much for night trips in the house.
I've bought 4 of the FMR1's and am pleased with them. They all are extremely bright, esp. on 3.6 volt RCR123's. 2 of the 4 have a whiter beam, 2 are slightly dimmer with a slight greenish tinge to the spillbeam. Even the 2 dimmer ones are outstandingly bright. The clip is kinda useless. It does not have a memory, always opens on high. Has a good low though. Flipping through modes is quick and easy. Machining and anodizing on mine is good. I showed them to friends and now the 2 brighter lights have new homes. Even the "dimmer" lights have got pretty good wow factor for their size. I don't mind keeping and using one of those. Runs for 40 minutes on high with a Powerizer 3 volt LiFePO4, 450ma RCR123. The last 10 minutes is a little dimmer than the first 30. They're cheap, effective and I'll bet more than 90 lumens on high. It's brighter than my JetBeam MKII V1 on 3 volts. Doesn't get hot, though, like the JetBeam does on 3.6 volts.

I haven't tried an EMR1 because of bad experiences others had. And it's a lot more expensive in case it's a dud.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I'll just post here what I wrote at DX. BTW someone jumped right on there saying this is not 'memory' but the point is it is easy enough to make it start up in any mode you want after it has been off. So IMO that's a memory but either way here is how it works: When you turn it on or change modes you can sometimes (but not always) notice a little blink after 1.5 to 2 seconds. Once that time or blink has passed it will always go back to the first mode when shut off or changing modes. BUT if you turn it off before that blink or 2 seconds (might be closer to 1 second) than it will come on at the next level as long as it is off at least 5 seconds or so. Example: You want it to come on at the lowest level next time you turn it on (for use in getting up at night perhaps so you don't disrupt night vision) so you turn the light on and it comes on high, you give a quick press to get to medium level and then immediately shut off the light. Set it down and leave it and the next time you turn it on it will come on at the lowest level. You can do this for any level including strobe - just shut it off quickly at the level before the one you want to have.

teststrips

Enlightened
The FMR1 looks nice, but it has no memory. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it had memory, but without it the useless strobe and SOS modes would mean SIX clicks to switch of the light and then switch it on back at the same setting - I think not!

I think you misunderstand how these 5 mode lights generally work. You don't need to cycle all of the modes... they work like this.

Full click for on - usually the brightest setting
tap the button for the next setting, etc, etc.
Full click For OFF

If you just want the high mode - click on + click off when done - you don't have to see the other modes if you don't want to.

If you want low mode - click on - tap to get to the low mode - click when you want to turn it off....

You NEVER have to see SOS/Strobe if you don't want to.

This is actually the reason I HATE lights that save the last mode you were on. First off, I can never remember what mode the light was on last + second, if you are on low, you have to go through SOS/STROBE to get back to high.

does all of that make sense?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a lot of people on this forum would disagree with this type of thinking
I agree. :)

I personally own several of what you would consider high priced lights and I don't have the need for any thing more than a one or two cheap bright lights. I enjoy the hobby of collecting and using lights
I do too, but I am, shall we say, economically challenged. The main reason why I'm forced to think extremely rationally about my needs is that I can't afford what most people on this board own.
Even if I could, however, I'd raise the acceptable price to about €50, but I'd leave the seriously high-priced lights to others. For rational reasons, but also because I have a tendency to forget stuff around. Should I lose a €25 light I'd smack myself on my forehead, but should I lose a €200 light I'd scream "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" like Darth Vader and then proceed to rip my hair off.

I enjoy a high end product of any sort regardless of my intentions for using it
That's an important difference between me and most of this board. I do not, generally, appreciate high end products much.
Yes, they work superbly, but I feel much better when I can get something that works almost as well but costs a third. Call it an innate attraction to efficiency in all things. ;)

However the low on these lights may not be as low as FallingWater wants - they are much lower than a comparable Fenix running on RCR123's but I'm guessing it's more like 15-30 Lumens which is a tad bit much for night trips in the house.
Nah, that'll do just fine. I already have low-output lights for night trips in the house, I just don't want to have a full-blast beam all the time on my EDC.

I think you misunderstand how these 5 mode lights generally work. You don't need to cycle all of the modes... they work like this.
(...)
does all of that make sense?
It makes a lot of sense, and I indeed misunderstood how they work. Thanks a lot for clearing that up, looks like it's time to order a FMR1. ;)

blackwaterstout

Newly Enlightened
My current CR123 Cree works, but the lack of a low mode is starting to bother me. Tired of ruining my night vision and wasting battery power, I've decided to get another one.
The prerequisites are in the thread title. The "cheap" part means either DX or Kai, but I've perused their search and come up with so darn many lights that I don't know what to choose.
Note that I'd like to avoid the useless strobe and SOS modes if at all possible, although if the flashlight has memory (or any other way to start in the last used mode) they don't bother me as much.

Sooo, if you have a light that meets the description or know of one, please give your advice :)

Looking for basically the same thing that you are. The mentioned earlier might fit the bill.
https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2921
Anyone own one?