E2L - on rechargeables ?

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Folks,

Im liking the rechargeable thing and desire to get some for my E2L...

What is better:

- 2 rechargeable 123's
- or 1 17670

What say you?

What are you folks using and what kind of runtime/success are you having?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I bought an Aleph body for mine $28.00 so i could use the single Pila 600S. I find it easier than keeping up with and charging 2 R123's then testing before i use them to make sure they are equally charged. I would hate to blow-up my SF Cree! It worked out great!
IMG_1191.jpg

I also added a Mcclicky then placed V10 glow paint around head and in tailcap! Great for nightstand duty, glows all night!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
For me the clicky was for tailstand, and a place to put more glowstuff. I also heard stuff about reliability of SF clicky's, but I think that is an old problem that has been taken care of. I also had the thought of easily putting a 2 stage module in it someday if I needed even longer runtime!

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
There's the empty shell, the 1 stage version, and a newer 2 stage version. I guess went with the 1 stage so I could keep spending $ on the same light:thinking:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the clicky was for tailstand, and a place to put more glowstuff. I also heard stuff about reliability of SF clicky's, but I think that is an old problem that has been taken care of. I also had the thought of easily putting a 2 stage module in it someday if I needed even longer runtime!

The problem with failing clickes is not yet solved! The one on my new E2L failed after 1 week and the replacement I received after 3 clicks... I'm waiting for another replacement. But both "broken" clickes have been opened and lubed with vegetal oil and they now work flawlesly. The first has been working for 2 months without any failure after I lubed it.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new KX1 and KX2 heads are not as versatile or rechargeable friendly as the old KL1 head. The KX1 doesn't work above 3 volts and the KX2 will start to strobe when the batteries get weak. Not very cool IMO. :ironic:

I have not seen alot of reports of the use of the KX2 head with a 17670 or two RCR's. I would like to know how long you can get from a 17670 before it starts to strobe. Some people say right away and others say you get a long time before it does that.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Ok,

i forget where im at....

I have the old style Luxeon KL1 Head on a E2L body....

Does anyone have experience using a 17670 with above style?

I ask, for im using 17500's on a 9P and was looking to use 17670 to use on my old style Kl1

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I've been using my light off and on for almost a month using a Pila 600s like i said before, and I got no strobe yet. I have not needed to recharge it the first time yet........ If it strobes, I guess that means it's time to recharge:)

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my light off and on for almost a month using a Pila 600s like i said before, and I got no strobe yet. I have not needed to recharge it the first time yet........ If it strobes, I guess that means it's time to recharge:)

When I got the strobe on mine, one battery was completely dead and I got it with cold weather (0C). Back to home, 1 cell was shorting over 5 amps and the other couldn't give over 0.3 amps... Putting them in serie and loading them with 100 mA, they were dropping fast to around 3.5V and going down. At this point, the light is not yet strobing. I have to wait a lot of time for it to strobe again.