Pre focused light, halo effect, and ?? Help?

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Here is my problem. I first bought a Streamlight Stinger XT. Loved it. Pre-focused I think is the term. The light was simply very tight beam with no "bleed" or "Halo effect". No idea what to call this effect I am trying to describe but the Stinger did not have this effect. NOW, I just bought a Stinger HP thinking it would be brighter. I am not a happy camper. I have adjusted it so that the beam is as tight as possible but there is a lot of diffused light out to the side, which I would call a halo effect for want of a better term.

Two questions: 1] Is it an optical illusion that I think this light does not seem nearly as bright, or throw a bright beam nearly as far?
2] Is there another Streamlight rechargeable like the SL-20X which would eliminate this problem by having a pre-focused super tight beam with no light scattering off to the side?

If there is anything I can do to the light I have no instead of selling it and starting over again I would be happy to hear suggestions.

Thanks everyone.:oops::confused:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
An average beam has a bright center, called the spot or hotspot, and an area of dimmer light around it called the fill or spillbeam. The first light you describe sounds like it is all hotspot, no fill. As for the second light, it's no optical illusion. You are probably seeing more light in the spillbeam. I don't know Streamlight's model line up too well, but they probably have a light that meets your needs.