Is there such a thing as...........?

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Is there such a thing as a very, very bright LED light which is not much longer or heavier than the large size Maglite, works on either C or D batteries, or is rechargeable, costs not more than $100.00 (street price), and will produce a pre-focused, narrow beam with at least 120 Lumens output??

greenLED

Flashaholic
Pelican has some nice C & D cell LED lights. I'm not sure you'll be getting that much light (IIRC, they're Luxeon-based lights).

Now, just out of curiosity and maybe to give you a better answer, why the focus on C and D cells (aside from the longer runtime, obviously)? There are plenty of much smaller LED lights (using AA batts) that are very bright these days.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Take those manufacturer specs with a rather big grain of salt... A LuxIII may spit out 50 lumens or so. Only recently with the Cree emitters, we broke the 100 lumens mark.

robbydob

Newly Enlightened
i agree....but it is an LED, "c" cell power plant, at say, at least 100 l's for $29.95. Seemed like a reasonable alternative based upon the criteria set forth.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there such a thing as a very, very bright LED light which is not much longer or heavier than the large size Maglite, works on either C or D batteries, or is rechargeable, costs not more than $100.00 (street price), and will produce a pre-focused, narrow beam with at least 120 Lumens output??

As asked above, any particular need to stick to C or D cells?
If you don't mind a bit of size (still much smaller than a Mag) and are more focused on throw, there are quite a number of throwers around. From the $30-40 dollar lights at dealextreme (like Cree 3W projection etc.. those with big reflectors) to the $100+- lights like Lumapower MRV, Tiablo A8 or A9 etc...

They pretty much throw well, have well in access of a 100 lumens (some even 250 lumens at 1A.. but note LED/bulb lumens does not equate to the lumens spewing out from the front of the torch)

If there is no particular need of C or D cells, try sticking to lights using the 18650 lithium ion rechargeable cells. They pack the most punch out of the standard lithium ions cells and are still fairly small (18mm diameter and 65mm long).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are many 120 lumen lights form various different sizes and price range(pinky size to lantern sized, $20 and up). The Draco(above your price range, just an example) has that amount of light in something smaller then your thumb. The Tiablo A8(review, Will destroy a maglite in all aspects except weapon type usage and big size) has 200 M throw and 120 lumen(more?) output and is a bit longer then the minimag but twice as wide. This light runs on 4C batterys but I'm guessing it's output to be 100 lumen. The Malkoffdevice's Drop-in will make a Maglite 2-4 D a great light.

Many of the Minimag sized 120 lumen lights can use the 18650 rechargeable 3.7V lithium ion battery.

The newer generation of LEDs, Cree XR-E, Seoul P4, Rebel have double or more the efficiency of the older Luxeon I, III, V, and K2 LEDs. The newer LEDs can produce 300 Lumen at the emitter if overdriven to 1.5 amp(Cree XR-E Q4, Q5, Rebel 100). The common Cree bins in order of efficiency, P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5. Seoul P4, T bin, Q bin, V bin(yet to be released). Rebel 80, 100. The common 5MM LEDs are nowhere close to these LEDs.

Any reason why C, D batteries. Availability, Runtime?

The 2 AA Fenix L2D-CE has around 120 Lumen(the Rebel 100 version has more light, comparison) and can run for 58 hours on low(11 lumens) on 2 alkaline batteries but less then 40 minutes on turbo with the same batteries(Lithium batteries give 2 hour runtime and NiMh gives 1.5 hours).

Now, what would you like?

Maybe you should buy something relatively cheap that runs on a 1AA battery just to see what the newer LEDs can accomplish on this common battery. Something like this, this, or this.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
If there is no particular need of C or D cells, try sticking to lights using the 18650 lithium ion rechargeable cells.

You know, that's something that we're really lacking - decent lights based on the C/D cell platform. Sure, they'll be bulkier than a Fenix P3D or whatever flavors en vogue at DX, but think about the crazy runtime you'd get!

I'd be in for such a beast. It'd be a killer emergency light - bright and loooooooong running. What's there not to like?

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rayovac 4W 3C light is exactly what you are looking for. It is well over 100 lumens (most likely around 125 or so) has a focused spot with tons of throw, and costs $25! The only retail store they are available in is Meijers, so you are most likely going to have to order one from their online website unless you live in the Midwest.

The only other light that fits your requirements is the Taskforce 2C Cree. They sell at Lowe's but are just hitting the market so I would call your local Lowe's firs to make sure they have them in stock. This light may be even better than the Rayovac but I haven't seen one first hand so I can't recomend it so highly.

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
You know, that's something that we're really lacking - decent lights based on the C/D cell platform. Sure, they'll be bulkier than a Fenix P3D or whatever flavors en vogue at DX, but think about the crazy runtime you'd get!

I'd be in for such a beast. It'd be a killer emergency light - bright and loooooooong running. What's there not to like?

Like this one :shrug: LINKY

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The Lowe's Task Force Cree or the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 4W would fit the bill and at a low cost. For the fun factor you could get a Magled and stick in an aspherical lens from Surplus Shed! There are a few different mods that will upgrade a Maglite since you are using them as a size reference you must have one to experiment with, right?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Greenie,

I still reach for my Maglites once in awhile... they still feel good and solid in hand. Yes, sometimes C/D cell lights are nice for a change and the runtime is definitely useful :D

There aren't many off-the-shelf options, but it's not hard to get a drop-in or a mod done... single LED magmod for ridiculous runtime or a tri/quad for more power. Or just buy MagLED :)

Of course, for the mag haters, they'd have to look elsewhere. I believe Nuwai used to have some nice big D lights with Lux IIIs... I'm not sure if they have been updated to the latest LEDs. Shouldn't be too much of a problem for people with basic modding skills anyway and the lights were quite nice looking.

Also, Elektrolumens might be another choice for some D-sized satisfaction :D

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
More info here:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com

C Mag drop in
malkoffcmaghw5.jpg

D Mag drop in
malkoffdmagso5.jpg

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened

I agree 100%, So much easier to find C/D (even AA/aaa) batteries (corner store, gas station in the boonies etc) than all these exotic (cr123, 14500s? 15650s etc or whatever there called) battery powered lights. Not one store here locally stocks those exotic batteries, they seem to be a very niche market (certian internet dealers, and a few people on CPF). I get blank stares when i ask for CR123's, or any of the other exotic and weird numbered batteries...never mind chargers....:sick2:

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

I've got the TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 EXTREME with CREE XRE-7090 LED for Mini Maglite® 2AA Flashlights. It's rated at 100 lumens, emits maybe 50-60. Seems to work well, the C/D cell SSC P4 LED U bin MM drop in might work out for you. Isn't going to be 150, but might be 100 or a little more. Just have to try it and see. I've been thinking about getting one for my old 5 cell Kel-Light.