The whitest LEDs I have seen!

Wylie

Enlightened
I have just seen the whitest 5mm LEDs I have ever seen. I just met with my partner the owner of The Mad Dog Light Company and he just got a sample of the soon to be manufactured 20X5mm LED flashlights. This one was in the five D cell form in an aluminum that looked to be chromed with ridges the length of the flashlight and a push on push off switch housed in a rubber boot. Fit and finish are very nice and the twenty LEDs are very professionally resisted by ten surface mount resistors on a circuit board in the head of the light. It looks pretty water resistant and as though the LEDs are set up for about 20 to 30 milliamps each which should give a great londrvity. The flashlight projected a fairly tight center beam with a little flood to the out edges that may be produced by the reflector the LEDs are housed in and possibly the slightly domed protective window. All together it is a real sharp looking flashlight that should throw light a good 100 to 110 feet reasonably well and have a battery life that will most likely be measured in days and not hours. I thought my first L/S mod was going to put this flashlight to shame but after seeing the whiter light and the more intense beam of light I think I have to go back to the drawing board with the L/Ss again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I have suggested to my partner that when he gets more of these flashlights including the 12 and 16X5mm LED models he should send some off to reviewers from this forum. I am still floored by the metal halide type of white light these LEDs make and would like to hear what a reviewer would have to say about them. The prices have not been discussed for these flashlights as of yet but I am sure they are soon to come about.
The flashlight I seen is the second from the top but with twenty LEDs.
LED_Flashlights.JPG

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'm not a "reviewer" but i sure would love to do a review! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

they sure do look nice! are they all 5d, or other battery options available for this light also.

"looks pretty water resistant.." does this mean that it might be ok, or are you aiming to have a depth rating?

i'm very excited to see what mad dog can supply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Rothrandir,
There will be other battery confiurations and some different colors and models of light coming from Mad Dog. The website is at http://www.taylorsports.com/maddog.htm if you would like to have a look at what is in the works at this time. As far as water resistance I think rain on these flashlights would be okay but totally submersing would not be advisable. I am pretty sure my partner is going to want the full works done on the review thing, lux readings and run time charts and all. I think he will end up sending them off to somebody from this forum but as to who I am not exactly sure as of yet. I have suggested to him the best reviewers I can from this board but his choice will be his own. I just wish I would have remembered my camera. These LEDs are literally metal halide white.

Just keeping it real, bright, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wylie

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sounds good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

could you let us know what kind of leds these are?
is there any guarantee that you will be able to get this specific bin again? this issue has been a problem for other light manufacturers.

also, you might want to consider changing the backround those lights are on, i thought they were going to be dive lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh.. anyone finds that the second from top, looks kinda it bears a resemblence to an adult toy? No I don't mean a torch light for adults... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flash.... said:
The last light... (the one on the bottom)
Is a dead ringer for the Crafstman 75th annv model.
???

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was thinking. The Sears by me was closing them out for $12.99 so I picked up the last one. There's a lot more plastic in the construction than I expected.

Eric

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 5D is a big light.

While I have not seen them, my preferences would be, that IF I were going to carry a 5D light, I would EITHER rather carry a 4D Maglight with an InReTECH Tri-light, or a 6D Maglite with a InReTECH Helos.

Not trying to be rude, I am just giving my opinion, and you should get several before making a big investment.

NOW, if it were a 4AA or a "lighter than 5D" battery configuration, that might be a lot more desirable.

Wylie

Enlightened
Rothrandir,
I am pretty sure this manufacturer has a contract to assure the quality and bin ranking of the LEDs supplied to them are among the best coming out of Japan. The website is not something that I in charge of. I can understand what you mean, I can pass the word along.

flash....,
I have looked around the internet for the Craftsman 75th Ann. flashlight you have mentioned and I am not able to find it. Is it also an LED flashlight?

Shame on you Nerd, although I did say exactly the same thing to my partner when we met. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif for me too.

BuddTX,
We are looking into many different configurations and styles of flashlights that we may be able to offer. Our only problem at this time is picking and choosing what looks to be the best of the possibilities. Here's a picture of a flashlight combination multi tool that we are looking into at this time.
fc8dbd31.gif

If this little bugger is made of any quality it should be a real hot item. We have so many different flashlights we are looking into at this time it is really hard to give any of you the real picture of what we are going into. A couple that I have found very interesting are some combination flashlights using stuff like ccf's, LEDs, xenons and others in various configurations.

Keeping it real, bright, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wylie

shipinretech

Enlightened
Just for referance, InReTech now makes a 20x5mm LED light for 3D Maglights. I wonder what the other guys are using the extra batteries for; maybe heating up resistors?

That reminds me of an old system the Navy used to use, the Mk114 Underwater Battery Fire Control system. It was an analog computer that ran on synchros and had to be kept at an internal temperature of 125 degrees F. It was kept warmed up at all times underway and shutting it down was always something to be considered carefully because it didn't hold true after cooling. When properly tuned, it was at least as accurate as any digital system, but the notion of operating a military fire control system at other than a ambient temperature always bothered me.

Wylie

Enlightened
We also have the option of three D cell models as well or how about 4 AAs or 2 Cs . Oh yeah would you want that in rechargable Nicd or HiMH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Oops! The 2C cell model may not be something that is going to happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Quickbeam,
You are one of the top reviewers that I have suggested as you do very comprehensive reviews.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif