My first beamshots: M@g85 and P3D-CE

Spypro

Enlightened
Hi folks !
There is some beamshots I've done tonight.
I took my Mag85 and P3D-CE to compare them.

Mag85:
3 x 18650 (~12.6v), AW soft start, 1185 bulb and tailcap mod.
??? lumens
All shots at High mode (100%)

P3D-CE:
Cree
Maximum of 160 emitter lumens
All shots on Turbo mode

Shot taken a little bit above the vine. In reality the Mag85 looks a lot brighter. The vine is about 150 meters long.

P3D-CE (turbo)

Mag85 (High(100%))

Shot taken at the end of the vine. Approximatively 100 feet from the trees.

P3D-CE (turbo)

Mag85 (High(100%))

Shot taken in a trail in the wood. The end of the trail can be seen in the Mag85 shot. The trail is about 200 feet long.

P3D-CE (turbo)

Mag85 (High(100%))

Shot taken on a railway. There is a railway bridge next to the farthest illuminated tree on the left on the Mag85 shot.

P3D-CE (turbo)

Mag85 (High(100%))

Shot taken on the railway bridge. I was illuminating a tree that is crossing the river. This tree is approximatively at 100 feet.

P3D-CE (turbo)

Mag85 (High(100%))

Shot taken from a trail. The trees at the end are about 250 feet from me.

P3D-CE (turbo)

Mag85 (High(100%))

I hope you will enjoy them !

Matt

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice beamshots Spy! :thumbsup:

We can never get enough. ;)

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spy, what shutter speed and F-stop were you using?

Thanks

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice beamshots Spy! The comparison was kind of cool too. One of the better single LEDs against one of the best incan mods...completely different classes of light but fun to see side by side. Thanks for those :thumbsup:

Quickstrike

Newly Enlightened
Looks nice!

Just curious, did you build the Mag85 yourself or buy a pre-built one?

If it was pre-built, who/where did you buy it from (if you don't mind me asking)?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 :goodjob:

Love the railroad tracks.

Spypro

Enlightened
Patriot36
The first two beamshots were taken at F2.8 / 2.5sec if I can remember. The two last beamshots taken at F2.8 / 5sec and the rest at F2.8 and 3.2sec.

Quickstrike
I built it myself with parts I bought here and here.

Thanks !

Spypro

Enlightened
Yeah I know.
If I do not correct the shutter speed the pictures doest not look like the reality... what I see with my eyes.

Matt

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3D-CE's 'spot throw' appears to have been it's primary detraction when compared to the modded Maglite (with beam focus), being as I'm not overly familiar with the Mag85's componentry... could you explain/detail the '1185 bulb' wattage rating please?

BTW nice beam shots! :thumbsup:

Spypro

Enlightened
Thanks M@elstrom !
The Welch Allyn 1185 bulb is rated at 9.6v.
I'm overdriving it at 12.6v.
I use x AW 18650 rechargeable battery.
I also done the tailcap mod to lower the resitance.
I changed the stock swith with the AW soft start switch.
I do not know how much voltages is reaching the bulb... but it's freaking bright !

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I know.
If I do not correct the shutter speed the pictures doest not look like the reality... what I see with my eyes.

Matt

That may be due to your eyes adjusting their own aperture. I know when I'm doing beamshots of smaller lights, I'll acquire pretty good night vision. Then when I turn on the Mag85 my eyes adjust. The fact that your going from a small P3D to a Mag85, may be effecting your eyes also.

I set my camera at 8" and F5.0, which gives me pretty close to what my eyes see at night. However, I find with completely dark adapted eyes, I can see slightly better then the camera. But after being blinded, by the bigger lights, cars, streetlights etc., I can't see as well as the camera.

Spypro

Enlightened
I'll do some beamshots tomorrow and I'll try 8" and F5.0.
I think I will only use the Mag85 for those beamshots.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spypro, Nice beamshots. I can't believe those are your first ones. I cannot believe how bright your Mag 85 is. Thanks for enlightening me.

gordolights

Newly Enlightened
Definitely nice shots, those spots are perfect too. No beamshots but I did some informal (but practical) comparison of my P3D CE and also my M60 drop-in mod (in a G2Z) against my ROP maglite this weekend, (which I think is pretty similar in oputput to the Mag85) and I saw a very similar difference - the ROP blows away the Fenix and the Malkoff dropin, and the throw is phenomenal. I'm a deputy sheriff and we had an alarm call to a large, spooky, and rather decrepit old high school and had to walk the entire perimeter at 0100. Note to self - using the ROP to check open windows up close is a bad idea from the intense reflections you get off glass. But for checking out large, distant areas (football field and bus park area, tree line) and long hallways - the ROP is phenomenal.

Gordo

Spypro

Enlightened
ROP and Mag85 are pretty usefull.
I use mine to check the vine behind the house because of thieves and vandals.