Exchange KL4 with KL1 cree head

Droffen

Newly Enlightened
I own a so called TW4, a SF E1e with KL4 head and Z57 tail cap.
What happens if I exchange the KL4 with the KL1 cree head?
As the Z57 clickie isn't a dual stage clickie I'll have only one output level. which level will that be, high or low level?

Droffen

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
Surefire doesn't make a KL1 Cree head. The head that ships with the new Cree E1L is called the KX1. This head would be compatible with current E1 body, though I'm not sure whether you could use an RCR123 with it.

The head of the new Cree L1 is not compatible with your current set up, as the head only contains the LED and optic, while the driver electronics are housed within the light's body.

If you are looking for longer runtime over your current set up, I'd suggest waiting until SF releases the KX1 for separate sale, or buying one of the older KL1 heads.

Numbers

Enlightened
I dont read German so I am not positive of what the ad says but the picture is of the luxeon KL1.
The drop down menu appears to offer the KX1.
I did not think they were available yet.

Last edited:

Droffen

Newly Enlightened
at the bootom there is a listbox where you could choose the old vs. the new cree one.
Nevertheless it's understood from my side. So I'll sell my TW4 and buy a L1 or E2L or a U2. will see.

Droffen

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Droffen,

I would keep the TW4, and maybe invest in a E-C 18650 size body that can accomodate protected 18650 batteries for longer runtime, compared to the TW4's 25minutes runtime.

A KL1 or the newer KX1 would also work on the E1e body/Z57 TC.

700club

Newly Enlightened
Surefire doesn't make a KL1 Cree head. The head that ships with the new Cree E1L is called the KX1. This head would be compatible with current E1 body, though I'm not sure whether you could use an RCR123 with it.

The head of the new Cree L1 is not compatible with your current set up, as the head only contains the LED and optic, while the driver electronics are housed within the light's body.

If you are looking for longer runtime over your current set up, I'd suggest waiting until SF releases the KX1 for separate sale, or buying one of the older KL1 heads.
KL1 heads are still available from Surefire. You can not buy a KX1 head until all the KL1 heads are sold.