where to buy a "carflashlight" like this ?

SIMON LEONE

Newly Enlightened
greetings all :wave:

a very good friend of mine who's absolutely not into flashlights needs a light for his car. He wants one that is rechargeable. Actually a minimag AA is to "big" for him and he is not the one who wants to care for full batteries and stuff.

He wouldn't be happy with a fenix or same style flashlights

it does not have to to be very bright and he doesn't like throwers
... so I came across this one

carhandylight.jpg

it's perfect for him because you can permanently leave it in the cars cigar jack and it's always ready to use.

But actually this is a very cheap one which runs not even for 30 minutes and it can't be solid and bright ... it's more a keychain flashlight thought which costs $5.

but the idea is great at least for his charges ...so do you know any light that works like this but is more high end ... made of aluminum etc....

thanks for reading and help:grin2:

Simon

Last edited:

B@rt

Flashaholic
There is the Auto LED by Coast LED Lenser, it looks nicer, but has a "Moon beam", and probably isn't that bright. :(

7575withinuselg5.jpg

Maybe someone can mod it for you? :shrug:

Last edited:

Lambert

Newly Enlightened
I have the Coast LED lenser. It's pretty high quality thick stainless steel, it pretty heavy for its size and fairly bright. I'm not sure if it's regulated or not but it's advertised to last up to 2.5 hours. It uses 4 NiMH round cell batteries. It's brighter than the old style Inova X1 by a fair amount and the beamspot is larger too. It's not a thrower though. I posted some pics over on another forum about it.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=250686&page=1

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, as a proud Aussie, I cannot help but promote the original and still the best:

http://www.dashlite.com.au/

(I am not affiliated with Dashlite in any way, just the happy owner of one that is 20 years old, in daily use, and STILL on the original NiCad batteries!)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have in my car a Dashlite I bought in Melbourne a few years ago and it still works perfectly well. Thumbs up for the Aussies. :twothumbs

In my wife's car there is a LED light like the one shown by Simon Leone and I must say that the amount of light it puts out is nearly enough for most needs.

Daekar

Enlightened
I have in my car a Dashlite I bought in Melbourne a few years ago and it still works perfectly well. Thumbs up for the Aussies. :twothumbs

In my wife's car there is a LED light like the one shown by Simon Leone and I must say that the amount of light it puts out is nearly enough for most needs.

Those Coast lights will make fantastic stocking stuffers! Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

SIMON LEONE

Newly Enlightened
wow thanks for the answers !!

maybe it's not the best looking one but the dashlight seems to be the best ... althought the coastlenser is pretty much small and seems to be rugged

in any case now I know what products are available

but I think my buddy's xmas present will be a dashlight

thnaks guys :thumbsup:

Leone

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
There is also a similar flashlight that Volkswagon sells, I believe it comes with the Toureg. Works the same, also has a moonbeam but it is actually a pretty decent beam. I believe it sells for about $20. It is made of plastic but it doesn't feel too cheap. You can get it at the dealer.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the exact same and it comes from Brookstone.com but they don't seem to sell it anymore. You might still found it in stores.

But honestly, I don't recommend at all. Not bright, turn very dim after 10 minutes, does not keep the charge, bulky size for only 1 led.

Last edited:

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I found some at a Target a while back but they don't sell it anymore, it was a 3 X AAA Ni-Mh battery pack inside with an cigarette outlet at the tail and a metal cap to cover it to look like a normal flashlight. It had an AMC7135 in it driving a Lux I. I am in the process of switching out the emitter and direct driving a K2 in it. The switch sorted out and blew so I am getting a new switch. The charging circuit was also a pulsed charging circuit I believe as that is what I measured and green indicator when finished charging.

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened
Here is a picture of the two versions VW sell for the Tourag, and Phaeton.
(the 'third' one on the right is actually the original cigarette lighter).

the only difference is the Tourag one is black, and the Phaeton one is silver. By all reports they work well, and look smart.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l213/ambox_2006/Phaeton/IMG_1735.jpg

part numbers:

black one 7L6-947-175-A01C

silver one 3D0-947-175-A

Cheers

SIMON LEONE

Newly Enlightened
wow they look great ...

has anyone made some experience with those lights ?

what's about the runtime ... they do not seem to have enough space for a

high capacity battery ?

regards