Using a 35w HID conversion kit to make a light?

Mdemon

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure to you guys this is ancient history, but I have just bought a very cheap HID conversion kit for vehicles and I'm thinking of using it as a portable light. (6000k, H3, 35wx2, 12v. Thinking of using 12v 7Ah SLA's)

I want to make something with a wide spread and maybe a penetrating hotspot in the middle.

Two questions really:

1) The vehicle enthusiasts all say you need a projector lens, not a reflector to get the best out of HID. Is this true or can I just use a cheap reflector instead?

2) How hot does HID get please? The container I'll be using is HUGE, but made of an acrylic so it'll melt eventually...

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Mdemon

Newly Enlightened
BTW, is this in the right forum? If a kind Mod wouldn't mind moving it for me if it isn't!

Thank you!

havand

Enlightened
I looked into using the HID conversion kits as a lantern, but decided against it for a few reasons. They really aren't dimmable. I thought I read someplace on here of someone experimenting with changing a resistor to lower or boost the output, but I looked a few weeks ago and couldn't find the link. Second reason is, For the power, they don't really produce anymore light than LEDs. The new LEDs are much more efficient than just a generation ago. I'm not sure if you're trying to make a hand spotlight or an area light? You can use a reflector, but the filament has to be aligned correctly within it and most halogen design reflectors have the bulb in a slight different position than the HID. I suppose one big advantage is the ability to totally avoid heatsinking. Heat sinking a large number of LEDs, even efficient ones, becomes a problem. The cooler, the better. I don't think temperature really matters to HID bulbs though?

If you're trying to make a spotlight, you're on the right path. No LED is going to throw like a point source HID can.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The vehicle enthusiasts all say you need a projector lens, not a reflector to get the best out of HID.

What is the lamp p/n? Some are for reflector, some are for optic.

BTW, HID lamps have a small "kernel" that produces the light... better for hotspot type lights rather than floods.

Mdemon

Newly Enlightened
Interesting comments. :thumbsup: It's a 35w H3 6000k setup, 12v, Model No. : LBHIDH3 if that means anything? (Cheap Chinese/HK import)

It doesn't need to be dimmable, just on/off so that makes things simpler. It comes with ballasts so not sure about adding resistors? I'm very interested in LED but it involves more complexity - electronics to drive and charge safely but most of all optics to get a decent beam. The HID route is second best because of being more fragile, but wins by being simple! :)

I need a bright spot and the more spill the better - I like floodlight halogens but in the application I am using it for, the bright spot works better in tough conditions. So, from what you say I might be on the right track?

(Today I found a really cheap halogen foglight projector setup, also H3, and I'm really hoping to drop the HID lamp straight into it and put that inside the container with the battery. Fingers crossed!:sweat:)

Anything else I should be aware of please?

(And thank you!!!!)

Mdemon

Newly Enlightened
The new LEDs are much more efficient than just a generation ago.

BTW, are you talking about the 5w or the 3w LEDs? I have another project on the drawing board which replaces filament with LED...