Military EDC, No experience AT ALL!

maikutis

Newly Enlightened
Okay folks, to start this off, I tried to search the forum for an answer, but I know NOTHING about flashlights, so bear with me when I tell you that after the search, I was more confused than when I started.

Here it is. I've been carrying a maglite on my person now for a while. I am a member of the U.S. Coast Guard, and I use my light multiple times a day/night for all kinds of needs aboard our motor lifeboat. Seriously, everything from setting up a tow for another vessel, trauma searches, finding dropped items, doing engine checks, you name it (except for SAR, we have much brighter lights for that!) A shipmate (who has like 3 flashlights that he carries at different times) told me that the maglite is possibly the least efficient light I could carry, but I've had one (several, actually) for the past couple of years and I guess it does the job. But, he has peaked my interest in flashlights and the possibility that I'm behind the times. If you could help me find a flashlight, I'd be forever great full.

My buddy told me that you folks could probably help (he also is the one who told me to use the "search" function, but uhh, yeah). I'll give you some ideas of what I'm looking for, and if anyone wants to list a light that would fit, I'd really appreciate it. I'll try to use some of the terminology that I've been reading about here, forgive me if I get it wrong.

Size: 1 AA battery, or 2. My buddy has a 1 AA light, a Phoenix, that sucker was the right size!

Battery: AA would be best, as I go through a lot of them (a set every week or two on average) I like that those camera batteries (123's) are more powerful, but I can't afford $8 a pop on a military salary.

Price: Yeah, military salary. I don't mind spending $75 dollars or so, but it would be better if it were around $50. If it's less than that, my wife may even forgive me.

Runtime: Pretty important, I'd need at least a few hours. Also, I've read a lot of you carry extra batteries on your person, I couldn't do that.

Brightness (lums?): I'm coming from a maglite, which I'm guessing isn't all that bright. Something brighter though, as I am trying to upgrade. My buddy told me his was around 40, but that you could get them brighter.

Waterproof: Not an option, it has to be!

Shockproof: Also important, we get slammed around fairly often crossing the bar (river-ocean crossing)

A trusted vendor: I've been burned online before.

Thanks to any who reply!

mike.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike,

welcome to CPF! I can feel your pain with the military pay thingy..lol

your friend has a Fenix flashlight. which can be purchased at www.fenixstore.com

since you are looking for AA size flashlights here is one of the best from Fenix with AA battery, water integrity, dual light level. And the new rebel LED that'll blow away your friends light. well priced at 46.50

https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=334&osCsid=ece975934bcc41faa31a1f83d70bb7f4

But....

Don't forget Lighthound they have the old Fenix AA on sale for 15.00
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2481

enjoy
Doug

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike,
As a member of the Air Force (the neutral medical type, take it as you will) I can understand your basic needs. Strap in and lets take a ride!

Basically, you need a light that turns on, creates a decently bright light, can get beat to hell and run on alkaline AA batteries. Guess what? You have choices! Alas, the alkaline AA part and specifically, the one AA spec tends to trim those choices excessively!

Here are my top 3 lights for beating the hell out of and still being able to run alkalines

1. Fenix L2P RB100 $60 or so
Great light, runs on 2AA and has multiple outputs to serve your needs. Downside? Runtime is utter crap when using the brightest level (turbo) You can remove the head and put a plastic ring around the head to prevent it from going into turbo mode. Low - medium - high and SOS will be available with the modified light on alkalines. If you switch to NiMH rechargables, turbo can be used and it is bright as hell!

2. Peak Pacific HP with optional 2AAA or/and 1xAA body and momentary switch. The two AAA body is brighter, it looks like a penlight on steroids and the momentary switch is nice. $50 for the light, $15 for the 2AAA body and $10 for the switch. Order it with the 1xAA body and 2AAA body and chose between the two. Runs $75 fully equipped but can be had in brass or HA-III aluminum. Works better with alkalines than the Fenix series although not as bright.

3. MagLED 2 or 3 AA version. $25 and the light works OK for the price. Not much to say but it is a lot brighter than the regular minimag!

INFI

Newly Enlightened
Yes your best bet maybe a fenix light. There are some cheaper Surefire lights that are made of a certian type of (I think polymer) called nitrolon.You can get a LED version for around 60-80 dollars they do run on 123a batteries though and as you stated you cannot carry any extras on you. However if you do wind up with any 123a light you can buy the batteries for 21.00 per dozen at www.surefire.com. Good luck and thanks for your service.

Last edited:

speederino

Enlightened
Here is an awesome 1AA light shootout:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172434

The Fenix L1D with a Cree or Rebel LED is hard to beat for the price. Vendors Fenix-store and Lighthound are hard to beat on service. There are other options out there at varying price points, but based on your requirements, this is your best bet!

boosterboy

Enlightened
What's your MOS?

How often do you use your light?
How long do you need your light to last
Do you want different modes of brightness?
Do you want a light that floods or a "spotlight"

I recommend something like a Surefire G2L, you can feed it rechargeable 17670s Lion batteries (when you're using the LED head) when you're not in a hurry, then when SHTF, bust out the primary CR123s.

The runtime is a about 5 hours on main, and another 5 hours on lowered output.

The G2L is 65$ for civilians, probably a lot cheaper for Mil/LEO purchase.

Surefire sells a pack of 12 CR123 lithiums for 21$, which is about 1.75$ a cell.

Buy a spare battery+lamp carrier for it like the Surefire SC1 carrier, or a Pelican 1010 case for it.

If you need IR illumination, you can pop in a P60 incandescent lamp and pair it up with a IR filter.

If you have a lot of maritime duty, a lanyard+lanyard ring would be helpful too.

You might wanna check out this traffic wand/beacon made by Barbolight.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173209
pirulo1ow5.jpg

The best part is all the spare parts of this lights can be carried with you, so if anything burns, you can quickly repair it and get back in the game.

The spare P60L LED module is gonna be around 37$
The spare P60 incandescent Lamp assembly is 17$

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened
I'd say you should definitely check out the Fenix lights if your buddy is finding his up to snuff! I would also recommend you check out some rechargeable AA NiMH batteries like Sanyo Eneloops or Rayovac Hybrids - you'll save money in the long run AND they'll perform MUCH better than alkalines.

One other thing you might want to check out is this light by Lumapower. Lumapower has a reputation around here for building lights like tanks - they tend to be a big larger and a big heavier as a result, but they're solid as rocks. This particular light doesn't have a bunch of different modes, just high, low, and off. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase any of the lights recommended so far, you won't go wrong with any of them.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you use it at sea, it strikes me that what you might really find useful is a floating lantern, that is retrievable if dropped overboard.

Australia's No.1 torch, by a huge margin, is still the Everady Dolphin.

Or the Eveready "Sea Beam" as it seems to be called in America.

US $8

Runs for 14 hours on the cheapest 4F lantern batteries.

Not the latest technology, but appropriate, I would have thought.

JPasquini

Newly Enlightened
Maikutis:

I have to echo the previous comments regarding the Nitrolon SureFire G2 LED for your particular application. The G2L's are available in both black and yellow.

BTW, and in all sincerity, thank you for your service.
:thanks:

Joe

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I had a great time in the Army myself, let's see...
You'll really need a quick simple interface, .......... I'd say a 2 Lv clicky.
Hummmmmm Fenix L1T V2.0 or L2T V2.0 should do it, what's your address? PM me

maikutis

Newly Enlightened
My buddy told me this was a great site, and I would like to thank you for all of your suggestions. In all honesty, all of you guys/gals are great. I posted this, walked away to the kitchen to have dinner with my wife, and came back to 10 messages. Wow.
Thank you to all,

mike.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think every one has got it well, the Fenix lights are great lights around your price range that would probably fit you needs. I'm thinking the L2D-Rebel 100 or the L2T V2.0. Don't forget the 8% off code on Fenix store, "CPF8". The Lumapower LM31 and Olight T15 should also be good, though I'm not sure how waterproof they are. The Dexlight X.I. is also supposed to be water proof but I think it is too complex and isn't as bright as the above mentioned lights. The Jetbeam MKII-R is also supposed to be water proof (a 3.7v 14500 rechargeable battery will make this light really bright).

CR123 batteries can be had at $1 a pop at [SIZE=-1]amondotech.

The Jetbeam Jet II also seems good if you are willing to buy rechargeable 18650 3.7v batteries and a charger.
[/SIZE]
:welcome:

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say go with the L2D from Fenix-store because 2 x AA cells will give you some more runtime and low, medium, high, and turbo for brightness. Even at high it is at 80 lumens.

Oh and you can beat the after the sale peace of mind that David(Fenix-store) will give you with your purchase.

err0r

Newly Enlightened
If you're already using a maglite (I assume 2xAA minimag?), then why not get a LED dropin module such as the TerraLUX MiniStar2 ( http://www.batteryjunction.com/mikitwi1walu.html )? Currently $15 from Battery Junction, the module is a direct replacement for the original incandescent bulb and puts out 40-50 lumens for about 6 times longer runtime than the stock bulb.

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to give my 0.02 on flashlight items. I can only affirm what has been said. However, before you toss out the idea of the CR123a batteries, they can be found for $1.50 or less; which is cheaper than AA lithiums at Target/Walmart. From what little I know about the G2L, it's got great runtime so you'll be changing out batteries less. Also, I think somebody mentioned a discount for Military/LE from Surefire, so you may want to check that out - certainly worth an exploratory call.

I too would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to you and the service you are providing the good old USA. Good luck and keep up the good work!!!

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you have anything left over in your budget, I would recommend the Arc AAA+P, or even the new DS. The +P camo is on closeout for $25 right now. Also, you may want to take a pocket full of these, and attached them to several zippers.

ja10

Enlightened
I would consider getting two lights - get one of the new Fenix lights (with Rebel 100 or Cree Q5 LEDs), and get one with an older LED on sale (like Luxeon III) if you can find one. I would just be sure they both use the same battery type.

That should keep you in your budget, and give you a spare light in case you have problems with your primary, or if someone wants to borrow one. :)

I'm not sure how familiar you are with batteries, but that is probably your first decision - AA or CR123. Both have their advantages, mostly being that AA is readily available and CR123 are shorter (better form factor in my opinion) and pack more power.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a fair amount of boardings and patrols with Coast Guard and they with me. Here's what I've found: Waterproof is indeed important. I don't know if Fenixes are truly waterproof or not. Shockproof is also nice. My Fenix P2D Ce (my second one. The first was even more defective.) doesn't like rapid movement, let alone shock or even funny looks. I wouldn't recommend it and I no longer carry mine, but that's just my experience.

I lost my Stinger overboard into San Diego Bay when I reached over the gunwales to try to keep a guy's boat from sinking. We may have caused him to sink, but that's another story. . .
Anyway, I recommend something that has a lanyard, or is so small it can't slip out of a float coat pocket.

Also, one handed operation is almost mandatory. Often on a boat, one hand is occupied, holding line, holding an engine cover, holding the wheel or throttle, holding on to a railing, etc. I wouldn't recommend Arcs for that particular reason. Also, think about whether a flashlight is easily used with gloves. I sometimes wore gloves at sea.

I don't know if you are doing law enforcement boardings, but one Coastie I worked with got in a shipboard gunfight (he won). Would be a good idea to have your flashlight tactically correct if you are armed.

So far, the best recommendation I've seen here is the Surefire G2 LED in yellow. I know it's CR123 based, but see if you can raid a supply closet somewhere or buy them online for $1.75 from Surefire. Best online source in my opinion is Brightguy.com.