Minimag sleeper ideas ? something better than terralux5ex and aurora hotwire kit

nitnapz

Enlightened
i lost one of my babies ... the red body one.
mmhishers006.jpg

in the park, having a smoke, and poof 3 days later i realized that she is lost.
as one cpf member stated, it's probably an excuse to get a new one.

so aside from the terralux5ex with i thing 100, 140 lumen, but great runtimes, i was thinking of AW's 14500x2 cells with an aurora hotwire, giving about 120 lumen (i believe ) with <25 mins runtime.

SOOO. i really wanted to use AW's 14500 750mah, but i was thinking i could drive a better or brighter bulb setup

any ideas ? suggestions ?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
check the availability of the various parts - some might not be available any more.

Meduza

Enlightened
Maybe a LED-mod with 1x14500 or 14650 DD'ing a SSC P4 mounted at a custom lathed copper pidestal that is press fitted inside the tube and using a tailswitch?

If you do it right you could get 150+ lumens out front of it, with 30+min runtime-

Illum

Flashaholic
I've heard of another lamp you could use in the place of a TL-3 in the auroralite hotwire, but its a meager increase and shorter runtime

on the incan level compared to the stock minimag, the auroralites probably the best there is

nitnapz

Enlightened
Maybe a LED-mod with 1x14500 or 14650 DD'ing a SSC P4 mounted at a custom lathed copper pidestal that is press fitted inside the tube and using a tailswitch?

If you do it right you could get 150+ lumens out front of it, with 30+min runtime-

i like that idea, maybe even feeding 1000ma to the P4..
i want to not cut as much metal as possible, as i do not own a lathe, but am pretty interested in small wires to maybe do something creative with 2x14500 lion.

your right though p4 would give just as amount of brightness with longer runtimes than incan

hawkz

Newly Enlightened
I have an 2 minimags with auroralight mods. One has the TL-3 bulb and the other the Carley 1499 bulb. The 1499 can set paper grocer bag smoking within about 10-15 seconds. The TL-3 bulb is not as impressive (heat-wise).

But both are fun :crackup:

nitnapz

Enlightened
Carley 1499 bulb

average lumen, or how does it measure up with the tl-3 or terraluxled5ex ? and then last but not least, general runtime ?

i'm sure this would look great with a tailcap clickie and 2x14500 lithium ions

Illum

Flashaholic
erm....reading incandescent lumen isn't 1:1 with LED lumens
unless your using an Integrating sphere, eyeball estimates usually will be far off because of our visual spectrum, incan gives out a little bit of everything while LEDs give out only one...

Nereus

Enlightened
average lumen, or how does it measure up with the tl-3 or terraluxled5ex ? and then last but not least, general runtime ?

i'm sure this would look great with a tailcap clickie and 2x14500 lithium ions

IIRC, the Carley 1499 produces some 350 lumens, but I may remember wrong here :thinking: . The runtime would be very short, some 15 minutes.

EDIT: I found the CL1499 bulb listed in this thread. You can find the specs there.

-N

Last edited: