Thank you CPF!

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
I have always been interested in flashlights. It all started with an bright yellow Everready Lantern/Flashlight that ran on one 6v lantern battery. Then I moved on to the world of "high class" flashlights, the world of Mags. I now laugh at my naiveness. :laughing:

One day, about a year ago, I came across this place called CPF during my investigation of the Surefire L2 I saw in a Cabelas. I learned so much information about the world of flashlights that it almost, but not quite, blew my mind. And from that day on, I have spent several hours a day reading all the wonderful material presented here. I cant help it if reading about the newest Fenix or FiveMegas latest creation is more interesting thatn calculus homeowork. So I turned my back on the L2 because it used CR123s, something that I do not like very much, AA's, AAA's, and 18650's are my buddies. So I eventually ended getting a Fenix L2T from the Fenix-Store, and that is when the disease started. Even-though the L2T blew away EVERYTHING that I had ever seen, the desire for more light was IRRESISTIBLE! So I bought a MillerMods L2P, one of my favorite lights with regard to tint and beam perfection. It seemed as though my desire was quenched, as I wanted to stick with trusty AA's, and there was nothing available that was brighter. But then the Cree/Seol/Rebel revolution occured, and I just had to buy a Fenix L2D, and that was just a tad to big to tote around everywhere, so obviously a L0D Rebel was a must. But what if I wanted more throw? Along came the Tiablo A8, and along with it came several sets of 18650's. The most amazing craftsmanship and quality that I've ever seen in a flashlight, although I have never handled a Surefire before. Hmmmm, what to do with those extras? We'll get back to that later.

But I hadn't tried a high powered incandescent yet, and EVERY flashaholic had to at-least owned one at one point in time... So i completed this gorgeous blue 7AA>2D Maglite with a ROP HOLA and a FM MOP reflector.... and WOW, was I surprised.... 700 lumens of smooth, skin searing, yellowish light... It was wonderful and I thought that I was set. I had a very bright incandescent that couldn't be matched my any single led in the near future, the best throwing LED ever (i think), the smallest and brightest AAA keychain light, and most everything in between. Or at least that is what I thought...

Then I just had to look at that darn HID forum, and guess what, the newest addition to the family is a 24W Boxer. :D :thanks:I couldn't resist! An absolutely outrageous amount of light. And with 18650's none the less! And now, I am happily enjoying my HID. Hopefully there will not be a great revolution in flashlight technology in the next few months, as my wallet needs some time to recover.

Not only has this hobby helped me gain happiness out of the simple joy of bright lights, but it is now helping me write several college applications that have personal statements asking you to describe a hobby/something you do in your spare time. Im sure that my essays will be at least a little bit interesting to read by the college admissions officers. So I thank you CPF, for introducing me to this wonderful hobby. :thanks:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be careful putting this hobby on your college application forms. They will have you appointed as volunteer fire marshal in next to now time with all those lights to hand.

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
Every well-rounded collegiate should have a flashlight or twenty. :grin2:

So true, so true. I wish that I had the funds to get one of the new SF L1 CREE's. They look absolutely amazing. The draw is almost irrasistable, but I keep telling myself that my L0D will cover everything that the L1 will give me... First I need a HID, for flashaholics sake and for my personal lightsaber. Then I need a lens protector and a case to protect and hold my new baby. And after using it for a while, I feel the desire for an extra nifty battery magazine. BTW, this battery holder is one of the most sophisticated and well built one that I have ever seen. Does it ever end? All this playing with my lights late at night is prolonging the application writing stuff...

It's amazing the lengths some people will go to in order to defend their addictions. :)
Greg

What addiction? I don't have one, im sure of it! No, no, you couldn't have of been talking to me right there... I need every single one of my lights... I see no reason to defend my own humble hobby...:devil:

Dr.K

Enlightened
Yea, same story with me. Except, I discovered this place after I graduated college.

I'm still debating if that is good or bad.:thinking: