question about L1 and future of Surefire line-up

22HERTZ

Newly Enlightened
Ok, After being out of the loop for a while and in urgent need of an EDC and bed side "what was that" light, and after doing a little reading I think Im going to purchase a Tiablo A9 for night time high light needs.

I like everything about the Surefire L1 except for the tightly focused beam. I prefer a good amount of flood in an EDC.

Do you think the Tiablo A9 is a good choice for "Oh $h.." situations? (Was considering a M@g drop in too...what do you think?

And

Does Surefire have future plans to make something like the L1 with more flood? Maybe an L2?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Surefire L1 with the Cree LED offers the best of both worlds, some flood with spot. The L2 is still the Lux V LED being mostly flood.

I currently carry both, L1 Cree in my 5.11 pants pocket (for flashlight or extra mag) and L2 and SF 10X in my back pack.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say, "like the L1", what do you mean? Two stage? Single cell? The P60L, as used in the G2L and 6PL, is nice and floody, but is only available in a single stage two cell light at the moment. An updated L2 is likely, we just don't know when. As for the Tiablo, it should do well enough for those oh s*** types of situations.

22HERTZ

Newly Enlightened
Looking at some beam shots the L1 looks like a tight beam with no spill (or almost none)
Maybe it looks different in person?

When I say something like the L1 I mean high/low beam, TIR, one or two cell, Cree ...basically an L1 with more flood either one or two cell.
I was wondering if anyone knew if Surefire was going to update the L2 to be like the L1 except with more flood as I can live with a two cell light (but the L1 would be perfect with more flood)

Sorry if this sounds confusing

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too confusing, I just wasn't sure. My guess, and please note that I have no idea if this is true or not, is that SureFire updated it's TIR first because of the limitations presented by the first group of super high efficiancy emitters (XR-E, P4). Emitters have been made that are more easily mated to SureFire's reflector designs, and I believe that they are now in the process of updating those models. Short answer to your question: yes, I think SureFire will be updating the L2 to have greater output and runtime while keeping (and probably improving) the beam pattern.

Saiga

Enlightened
my knowledge is admitedly very limited, so i almost never respond to these type of posts. but...in this case....i've been researching,asking lots of (probably stupid) questions about the tiablo myself. i like this light alot, and am probably getting one sometime soon. one of the things i've learned is that light has a VERY concentrated beam, less so with the OP reflector, but still pretty narrow, and a LOT of light for a "bedside" light. IMO, this is a great "check the yard to see why the dog's barking" kinda light, but less than ideal for a bedside light.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that with the TIR optic, you are not going to get the spill you are looking for. The optic focuses the light in to a bright hospot that is made for throw and outdoor use. I sent my L1 to Milky and had it modded with a SSC and reflector. Now it has a smaller hot spot with good throw and spill. It is now an all round use light that I EDC. I am also going to get another L1 and this time keep the optic and have Milky put a CREE Q5 in it to enhance its hotspot output and throw. I love the L1 and its form factor. Solid little one cell light that has great output and run time.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at some beam shots the L1 looks like a tight beam with no spill (or almost none)
Maybe it looks different in person?

You are looking at the gen2 L1 with the TIR optic. The first gen was all flood. The current version with the Cree emitter is a good balance of flood and spill.

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Or just get the F04 diffuser for $10...and you have your choice of 'all-spill' and throw-spill.

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
questions about the tiablo myself. i like this light alot, and am probably getting one sometime soon. one of the things i've learned is that light has a VERY concentrated beam, less so with the OP reflector, but still pretty narrow, .

I have an A9 with smooth and OP reflectors.
the smooth has loads of spill and the Op is just out standing ,probably more impressive than the smooth :twothumbs.

passive101

Enlightened
Surefire does make lights with different spill, but you do realize most surefires are designed as tactical lights to be usd in low light or no light situations while using a firearm correct? Tactical lights are to light up a target, not spill the light all over.

Though with that said there is a point where it is to tight of a beam, hence why they put out a 2nd option for the x200.

prof

Enlightened
Consider adding a beamshaper to the L1. Gives a nice flood. Simple fix for about $12, and you can remove it if/when you need throw.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Tactical lights are to light up a target, not spill the light all over.
Actually the concept behind a "tactical beam" is more to allow the user to centre the beam in the target's eyes, whilst being able to identify what (if anything) is in the target's hands, and illuminate the target's surroundings sufficiently to identify any additional threats or friendlies - within the typical engagement range of a handgun (for two-SF123A powered CombatLights such as the Z2/G2Z/C2/M2), or longer range for a carbine/machine pistol/shotgun (etc) (for three-SF123A powered CombatLights such as the M3), or longer range still - rifles (etc) (for three, four or even six SF123A powered TurboHead [Weapon]Lights.

LED beams from SureFire have traditionally being non-tactical (outdoorsman/utility etc) (E1L/E2L), or indoors/close range CQB / urban type applications (L2/L4/ScoutLight).

Though with that said there is a point where it is to tight of a beam, hence why they put out a 2nd option for the x200.
The X200A was specifically designed to have a tight beam with no surround beam for Operators in close quarters battle / "SWAT" entries/clearances with reduced visibility atmospheric conditions as a result of pyrotechnics/smoke/muzzle-blast/dust etc.
The X200B was designed for more general indoor search and clear activities - more suited for 'home defence'.

The new X300 has a brighter, more intense beam, yet with good surround beam making it a better blend of the A & B, with longer runtime as well.

From my perspective the X300 is the beginning of LED tactical lights that can replace the P61 incandescent beam for beam and output. It's a bit outside the realm of CPF's interest but it shows, I think, the future direction of SureFire's LED line-up.

Al

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or just get the F04 diffuser for $10...and you have your choice of 'all-spill' and throw-spill.

Make sure you know which L1 you've got first. The first version definitely doesn't need a diffuser. I'd argue that the third/current version doesn't either, though YMMV. The only version that clearly benefits is the second (Luxeon with TIR optic).

22HERTZ

Newly Enlightened
Could a first gen L1 still be purchased?
Would it be hard to retrofit a CREE into that light to get the output and still have the spill?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could a first gen L1 still be purchased?
Would it be hard to retrofit a CREE into that light to get the output and still have the spill?
You might enjoy this thread:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175864

which is the information page for CPF member Milkyspit (I laugh every time I read that name, I would love to hear the story behind it). It shows the various mods he is able to do using an L1. After reading that, you might shoot him a PM or e-mail and see if he can help you find what you are looking for.

You can also keep an eye out on both the B/S/T and Marketplace for either older model L1s, or occasionally an ML1 (L1 modded by Milkyspit).

Happy hunting.