Law Enforcement and the Mag951

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
In my spare time, I teach a handful of Personal Protection and intermediate level handgun classes with some interesting fellow instructors. One guy is the head of firearms training for a particular department.

I gave him a modded Mag light (a 951 lumen Mag85) I made about a year ago. I converted about six of the things and how many Mag951s can a guy use at once?

Every time I see him he's raving about how much he loves that light and how in awe his fellow LEOs are at his "little friend".

Thought I'd share some of what he's told me.

To protect the guilty and innocent alike, we'll call him John and change the name of the suspect too.

A story

John's checking up on some 49-year-old bad-news thug named "Leroy" who's violated his probation / parole and now has a no-bond warrant for his arrest after misbehaving. Again.

Seems bad guy Leroy is staying at his mom's house in the slums of this windy town. It's a Friday night and the thugs are out in the 'hood.

John and his rather dimunitive female partner knock politely on the front door late this evening while another pair have the back door.

Mom answers the door. No, he's not there. Are you sure, ma'am, because we think he is. LeRoy gets found... he's "laying low" in the bathroom. John cuffs him up and he's being very cooperative. He knows he's caught.

Well, momma doesn't think "her boy" has done anything wrong and starts getting quite mouthy. John's partner is walking Leroy out, trying to navigate through a room full of crap when momma gets the idea that she's going to turn off the lights to make life difficult. And the last thing these guys need is a big scene created to get all the neighbors out and causing things to go south.

<Bloop!> John says this crappy apartment was dimly lit to begin with but it's now darker than a well digger's rectum and momma's saying "Whacha gonna do now?"

John says he hits the switch on the Mag951 while pointing it directly in momma's eyes and <Whomp!> it might as well be daylight in there. It's now brighter than it was with her room light. Except for the spot in the center of the room where the canned sunshine searing momm's retinas and tanning her skin.

Of course momma's shrieking that she's blind and cussing up a storm. Leroy is invoking the Lord's name describing how bright that is while turning his head away.

"I'll tell ya what we're gonna do. We're going to be leaving now. You have a nice day." With that, they left.

Turned Leroy over to the cops at the nearest station house and they thought there was a "catch" to taking Mr. No-bond warrant, which is apparently a big catch for whatever officer brings this guy down.

Nope, give me my cuffs back and do the paperwork, my shift is over. And you owe me one.

John also mentioned using the light several times in public housing units to illuminate large rooms and stairwells instantly... "it's just like turning the lights on". Other times he'll dazzle trouble-makers using the light as a non-violent distraction device. "It's great on drunks."

One night, they were helping out on a foot chase for some guy. John's not into the running thing, so he and his partner parked where they thought the rabbit would come out at.

They heard him running between the buildings, right towards them. Just about the time he was going to pop out, John stuck his light around the corner and "helped" Mr. Runner see where he was going. Blinded, he was an easy catch.

His experiences using that light are certainly more entertaining than most of mine. Something about looking for a black lab a hundred yards away in a big field isn't quite as exciting.

If you don't have one of these, I would encourage you to make one even though hot-wires are kind of on the way out. 950 lumens is a lot of light to play with.

John

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
If you don't have one of these, I would encourage you to make one even though hot-wires are kind of on the way out. 950 lumens is a lot of light to play with.

John

I have to dissagree with you there mate, hotwires are definatley not "on the way out"

Well at least not to me, and a few others here.

I skipped the Mag 85 or 951 step, and jumped straight in at the deep end on the Mag 623 or Torch / maxblaster.

Now looking to get even more lumens with the Osram 64458 and others.

the 951, or Mag 85 does have the benifit of long continuous runtime, which is handy if working long shifts, over my lights that only run between 8 - 15 minutes, but I like the twice or 3 times the output, althought the downside is heat, they can only be run for 5 or so minutes before they become too hot.

there are pros and cons to each option.

Thanks for the interesting reading.

Optik49

Enlightened
I've wanted to build or buy a Mag 85 for awhile but it would have to be all black. I should have bought one of the turn key setups from light edge, when I had the chance. I have an SL20X with an SL35 bulb in it and am working on making it an SL60. I wonder if this will keep me happy or will this become a new addiction. I like the smaller diameter of the Ultra stinger. I would like to see a bright Mod for it.

Brozneo

Enlightened
Excellent Story! I work in EMS and I use a Mag11 (700ish lumens) I do have a Mag85 but the more compact form of a Mag11 suits me better.... But so far I haven't had to light up any one or any scenes yet.... But im waiting!!!!