Flashlight Throw

andyross

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, first post so forgive me if I ask questions that have been asked before. Recently bought one of the new SF L1's and am very impressed indeed. First thing I did was shine it in my eyes to see how bright it was, scientific I know :whistle:, and wont be repeated again. When playing outside at night noted that it appeared much brighter than one of my fenix lights rated at much higher lumens. Someone suggested that yes it may be brighter but probably appeared so as throw was better than fenix which had a better flood.
My question is if I wanted a flashlight with a really tight beam/good throw out to maybe 100 yds is there anything on the market in LED that will do that for around $200. Would also like it to be a quality flashlight as now I have tried Surefire I can see why everyone was going on about how hood they are.
Your suggestions will be welcome just dont get too technical all at one please as I'm new to this :thinking:.
Cheers Andy

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Andy,

Welcome to CPF. The L1 is a very good first light to own, but as you said....now you are spoiled with a Surefire and it will be hard for anything else to compare. I have the Tiablo A9S LE Q5 and am extremely impressed with its throw and build quality. A friend and I took it out to some local soccer fields and I was illuminating the restrooms from almost 800 feet. I think right now that this light is the farthest throwing production light. I like it a lot and would recommend it.

image1wf7.jpg

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
:welcome:
Yup, your best quality LED throwers right now are the Tiablo A8/A9 or Lumapower MRV. The Dereelight DBS is new on market, but not in anyone's hands yet.

To get a feel for how well they throw, here's StefanFS' two excellent threads with great pics:
LumaPower MRV - 100 & 200 m Beamshots & Runtimes! MRV Deconstructed. Now FluPic'd!
TIABLO A8. Runtimes, Beamshots up to 250 meters. Updated with A9 details!!!

If you want to see comparative runtimes for these lights, you can check out my review here:
MRV-Q5 vs DX Cree Projection vs stock MRV/Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

Cheers!

FASTCAR

Banned
100 yards is like 300 feet only.Tons of lights can go that far.I have tested 20+ for under 200$ that go 300 feet.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you getting 300 feet from Fastcar? Mine is almost 800 feet, and the tests done in the linked threads are up to 600 to 700 feet.

Last edited:

FASTCAR

Banned
"My question is if I wanted a flashlight with a really tight beam/good throw out to maybe 100 yds is there anything on the market in LED that will do that for around $200. "

**From First post..guy that started this thread?

I said many light can go only 300 feet..thats easy.( for $200 or less)

you lost me bondr006

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are willing to go hands on, Try to build yourself a asperical maglite mod. The Tiablo A9 has around 21000 Lux, the highest number I've seen form a asperical mag mod is 74000 Lux(this one, if he had a Q5, it would be around 83000 Lux or more).

Best throwing stock LED light is probably the Tiabo A9.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to cpf.
If you only need to go 100 yards, a cheap Streamlight SurvivorLED will do that well for about $50 and it runs on AA alkalines. The tiablo from what I hear is a great choice for about $100.

andyross

Newly Enlightened
The Tiablo certainly looks promising. Might give it a go. Any recommendations on where to buy from who ship to UK and are reliable.
Cheers Andy

andyross

Newly Enlightened
I would just like to thank you fella's for all the friendly advice and informative links. Hope I can help out sometime. :)
Cheers Andy

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are willing to go hands on, Try to build yourself a asperical maglite mod. The Tiablo A9 has around 21000 Lux, the highest number I've seen form a asperical mag mod is 74000 Lux(this one, if he had a Q5, it would be around 83000 Lux or more).

Best throwing stock LED light is probably the Tiabo A9.

Welcome to CPF Andy.

+1 on what Gunner said. Check out my "Got Throw" sig link for a direct comparison of the Tiablo A8 Q5 and an Aspheric Lens w/P4.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
"My question is if I wanted a flashlight with a really tight beam/good throw out to maybe 100 yds is there anything on the market in LED that will do that for around $200. "

**From First post..guy that started this thread?

I said many light can go only 300 feet..thats easy.( for $200 or less)

you lost me bondr006

AT 101 yeard...

TiabloA9013.jpg

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
Shame, if you were local id have given you a go with the A9.

I visit North Wales every few weeks (no light pollution) and the A9 is a monster thrower in total dark .

i've laser measured 300 yards with a smooth reflector and 200 + with the OP so either should do the job.

As with many things in life you have loads of options to choose from ,for the money and the strong exchnage rate is say it would be £75 well spent from the likes of Battery junction or another vendor.

all the best
Steve

paulr

Flashaholic
The A9 is about the longest thrower you'll find in a production single-led light of anything like pocket size. If you want more throw than that I would consider a spotlight or HID lantern.

andyross

Newly Enlightened
The A9 is about the longest thrower you'll find in a production single-led light of anything like pocket size. If you want more throw than that I would consider a spotlight or HID lantern.
Oooh :eek:oo:, I would love a HID but dont have the money for one of those. Missus would kill me for looking for even looking with those prices :eek:.