new light....no fire

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I'm a bit new to the custom lights in fact this is my first. I ordered a fivemega FM 700L with 3 of Aw's 17670's and a pila charger. I also ordered the gold bi-pin ceramic socket, and extra battery holder, Hola WA1185. Upon recieving the product last night I charged 17670s and right now they measure in volts: 4.18, 4.20, 4.18, and the holder measures 12.56. There is no light:confused: So before bothering fivemega I figured I would see if I am making some mistakes. I tried changing the bulb and that didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nebula

Enlightened
It could be the battery holder - or the battery orientation in the holder that is causing your problem. It could also be the anodizing at the tailcap. Check the face of the tc and the butt of the light body for anodizing that may not have been removed completely. There have been a number of threads on these issues so you might try a search. Good luck.

Here is one thread on the subject - http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147729 (discussion starts at post #95)

Last edited:

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
Might need multiple clicks to get it going?

Check voltage at the bi-pin socket.

Check continuity of bulbs to make sure they're good.

Illum

Flashaholic
probably irrelevant, but my auroralite mod for my minimag's ceramic socket is slightly temperamental being that the metal contacts can be pushed out when installing the lamp causing the assembly to function intermittently, check the orientation of the lamp and make sure both pins are securely in their corresponding sockets [the metal part inside the ceramic part]

also, theres the probability that your lamp is DOA, even if lamp filaments "look" continuous, it could be dead

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the sugestions. I tried everything and have a few more questions....

Is there supposed to be a tail spring with fm's battery holder?
----I can hear/feel a bit of slop where the battery pack is...I'm sure this is the problem

There is no voltage at the bi-pin socket
----the bi-pin does have continuity as do the bulbs(4)

The bulb in this set up is not over driven although I did try many clicks....

havand

Enlightened
Not that I would suggest this for the long term, but...might wanna wad up a small ball of tinfoil and stick it where the sprint would be to see if that IS the problem...again, would not do this longer than to just test.

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if there is supposed to be a spring, I would guess there is.

Is the cap anodized like a normal one with the bare area where the spring seats?

I don't know how they're cut down for length. If you have another mag try that tail cap or its' spring. Just gauge the tension so that you don't force anything.

Could also jump it with a piece of wire. Take the tail cap off and touch one end to the bare body and the other to the end of the holder.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Not that I would suggest this for the long term, but...might wanna wad up a small ball of tinfoil and stick it where the sprint would be to see if that IS the problem...again, would not do this longer than to just test.

Whoa....tinfoil works. Is there supposed to be a tail spring?

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you've found the problem - shouldn't be any slop - so a spring may be missing somewhere - oops I see as I was typing you got it to work - it sure sounds like a spring is missing.

Nebula

Enlightened
Whoa....tinfoil works. Is there supposed to be a tail spring?

Absolutely. If you did not receive one with your light send FM a note. I am sure that he merely overlooked putting it in the shipment. Also, be careful with the foil trick. At least don't let the foil touch the center pin on the tail end of the battery holder. You might not like the result.

havand

Enlightened
Absolutely. If you did not receive one with your light send FM a note. I am sure that he merely overlooked putting it in the shipment. Also, be careful with the foil trick. At least don't let the foil touch the center pin on the tail end of the battery holder. You might not like the result.

Agreed. Good for testing, bad for daily use :thumbsup:

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Thanks all.....I will send Fm a note tomorrow. May have to take one off one of my other mags for the mean time. You must have to cut them down a bit.

j3bnl

Enlightened
I just received my FM light (same one as you) a day or so ago and there should be a tailcap spring just as in standard M*g's.
Doesn't need multiple clicks to start up and its bloody bright!!!
Checked the springs from the M*g's we have at work and they look pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Nebula

Enlightened
Thanks all.....I will send Fm a note tomorrow. May have to take one off one of my other mags for the mean time. You must have to cut them down a bit.

SR. G. - you should not need to cut the spring down. That said, FM generally flattens the spring end (at the top most ring) where the spring contacts the battery holder base. I understand that this is done to keep the sharp edge from cutting into the aluminum base of the battery holder. If you use a spring from one of your other Mags, you might just flatten the edges (again top of spring at first ring) with a dremel or file. Good luck.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
SR. G. - you should not need to cut the spring down. That said, FM generally flattens the spring end (at the top most ring) where the spring contacts the battery holder base. I understand that this is done to keep the sharp edge from cutting into the aluminum base of the battery holder. If you use a spring from one of your other Mags, you might just flatten the edges (again top of spring at first ring) with a dremel or file. Good luck.

Thanks all, for all of the wonderfull support. I will take a dremel to it. The light rocks and isn't even a hotwire. Wondering now if I should spring for a 5761 setup or if I should wait till they have the 64430 figured out:naughty: