Fenix L2D-CE -- safe in Turbo?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it safe to run L2D-CE on Turbo mode at all times?

I had a L2D-CE which suddenly and mysteriosly stopped working, as in, it broke. No, it wasn't the batteries in backwards, and no, they weren't discharged. I tried freshly charged NiMH cells as well as plain alkalines. The tail switch also failed to fix anything. Something bigger failed.

I've had the light for about 2-3 weeks, using exclusively Maha Powerex 2700 mAh and running it exclusively in Turbo mode (as it's the easiest to turn on with one click) Never longer than 15-20 minutes at most, and I don't recall running it even that long.

No accidents with it. Never wet and dropped just once, on day 1.
I think I've run Lithiums in it once for a min, just to test them.

Since then the light has been replaced thankfully. But I wonder if I should use the Turbo mode conservatively. I haven't seen any indications like on the new Rebel that it shouldn't be used longer than 10 minutes.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I depleted full NiMH batteries set many times on turbo on mine (~2h30). It is still working flawlesly! It was always warm to the touch, never too hot to handle.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't deplete them all at once, but have depleted them over several days.

Now, it never got hot to the touch either. But I wonder if the damage is cumulative. I.e. do this for a month and get a failure. Versus an instanenous failure using wrong cells or something.

Or could it be my L2D-CE was a one time dud, not related to Turbo or heat or anything?

Tubor

Enlightened
Seems to be OK but got quite hot when I ran a runtime test for approximately 90mins. I wasn't holding it and I think in normal use it wouldn't have got so hot as your hand acts as a heat-sink. The rubber button also swelled up like a balloon due to gas being released by the rechargeables I was using (I used a different brand and repeated the test with no swelling so couldn't have just been heated air). No lasting ill effects on the button or mechanism that I noticed.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Man. That can't be good. These Fenixes are supposed to be strong and reliable. Sturdy.

I had a Dealextreme light, 2AA. I dropped it 3 times from a height of about 1 metre. It stopped working, permanently. I also had a Fenix L2D CE, dropped it 4 times from the same height, still works flawlessly. I also use it on Turbo an awful lot, and it is working fine. I hope not to have it fail on me at the worst time.:mecry::sweat::duck::duck::duck:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall reading that turbo should not be used for more than 15 minutes at a time but I did not see anything regarding cumulative effects.

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
I would say from the posts here and my own experience, it was just a faulty unit you had. As most of us know, electronics do not always fail immediately. Problems sometime manifest a few months later (seems to be the 91st day of a 90 day warranty for me :sick2:).

Anyway, I never hesitate to use Turbo on my L2DCE/P2DCE for as long as I need to (or as long as the cells hold out). I wouldn't worry about damage, the Fenix seems to do a good job dissipating the heat.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought that they suffered from Infant Death Syndrome, i.e. an electronic unit either fails immediately or keeps working forever. Bad assumption?

What do you think failed in my (former) light, anyway? The microprocessor? The LED burned out? What could it have been?
I can tell you it wasn't the switch as a new one didn't fix it.

> As most of us know, electronics do not always fail immediately

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought that they suffered from Infant Death Syndrome, i.e. an electronic unit either fails immediately or keeps working forever. Bad assumption?

Half the picture. The classic failure over time chart is what they call a bathtub curve.

\____/

High failure rates at beginning and end of typical lifecycle, low failure rates in the middle. Your failure at 3 weeks is still well within the initial high failure rate part of the curve. What failed ? Most likely either a semiconductor or some break in the current loop.

Last edited:
I do not see manufacturer advertised limitation of this kind, therefore it must be acceptable to use the flash light at any mode with any battery listed as compatible.

Using >15 minutes would be considered reasonable use and fitness for use at any setting would be covered under implied warranty.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not necessarily. I've seen plenty of advertising statements from all kinds of makers that don't hold up to real life.

quote-------
> I do not see manufacturer advertised limitation of this kind, therefore it must be acceptable to use the flash light at any mode with any battery listed as compatible

Not necessarily. I've seen plenty of advertising statements from all kinds of makers that don't hold up to real life.

quote-------
> I do not see manufacturer advertised limitation of this kind, therefore it must be acceptable to use the flash light at any mode with any battery listed as compatible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implied_warranty

They're getting away doesn't mean they're in the right.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just like some auto manufacturers claim 100K mile transmission fluid change, or 100K on spark plugs, etc. It doesn't mean you should follow these guidelines. If you want your vehicle to last, service it far more frequently. I am so paranoid about auto trannies that I like to have the flushed annually, not every 100K miles.

Same thing here. Just because "Turbo" mode works, doesn't mean IMO you can cut it on and run it for 2 hours non-stop. Do this 10 times and fry the light. Maybe there is a reason why it's called Turbo, vs. just "High".

If anyone got data to the contrary, I would love to hear it.

I've used it extenively on LD2-CE, but never for more than 10 minutes at a time. It does get kind of warm even after 2 minutes.

It's just like some auto manufacturers claim 100K mile transmission fluid change, or 100K on spark plugs, etc. It doesn't mean you should follow these guidelines. If you want your vehicle to last, service it far more frequently. I am so paranoid about auto trannies that I like to have the flushed annually, not every 100K miles.

I believe there's a manufacturer that offers lifetime drive train warranty these days, Chrysler perhaps? The burden is on them in that case. If the covered components fails despite proper care, or they can't prove the lack of proper care is the cause of the failure, they are on the hook for warranty liability.

Since Fenix is also "lifetime warrantied", if it fails, outside of unreasonable abuse or usage outside of specs (running it 24/7 when it clearly says 5 minutes only) they'll have to replace it.

They say its ok to use lithium on turbo-equipped models. If the limitations imposed at the time of purchase doesn't stipulate xx minutes max, then you can do whatever. If it fails, file warranty claims, as many times as you have to.

I do run my L2D CE in Turbo, but find the high level in the general mode to be sufficient. The light still perfoms as flawlessly as the day I bought it 8 months ago.

Read for yourself about Fenix quality and durability (per manufacturer):

http://www.fenixlight.com/company/index.htm

A manufacturer talking about quality of its own product. Just a little bit biased in their favor, perhaps?

BGater

Enlightened
I farm and used my L2D this year watching augers to the bins. Every night for 2 weeks I ran at least one and sometimes 2 sets of Energizer 2500's dry on turbo, non-stop full-tilt-boogie, with no problems. I checked it after harvest with my light meter and its still right on from when it was new.

If I have to baby a light, can only use it for a few minutes ect. ect in certain modes, then I dont want it. I want the lights full output for as long as the batteries hold out, if needed. The only light I have that gets babied is my new Tiablo A9, and I still ran an 18650 to shutdown in low and high when I first got it to make sure it was good to go. :thumbsup:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, I don't think an overheating LED will die... It will will dim faster and become blueish from what I understand. Or it will become blueish fast then die quickly after if it is way too much overdriven. A LED light just stopping working is probably more caused by problems with circuit or bad contact...

Anyway, I don't think an overheating LED will die... It will will dim faster and become blueish from what I understand. Or it will become blueish fast then die quickly after if it is way too much overdriven. A LED light just stopping working is probably more caused by problems with circuit or bad contact...

A well engineered device do not allow any of its component to exceed the rated maximum ratings under specified conditions in reasonably foreseen environmental conditions.

i.e. if it's a flashlight and specifies alkaline, lithium or NiMH, it shall not incur stress exceeding spec on any component when used in a manner reasonably foreseen for a flash light.

In abusive or unforeseen environment, such as being operated strapped under the hood of a car with exposure, exceeding specs is reasonable.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I primarily run mine on Turbo, and I use mine daily as a work light. I even turned it on inadvertently when I put it in my pants pocket. It was on turbo for 30-40 minutes with no problem.