How's Fenix?

lumen64

Newly Enlightened
I do electronic's/computer installations and was wondering if any of the Fenix lights would be a good choice.
I am also in the elements a lot and need something rugged.
I have a Browning sheath I want to use so it can't be too short .
Long battery life is a must.
Any Fenix recommendations?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've found just about any Fenix to be a good light for the money. Whichever size or brightness you want will be a good buy. I carry an E0 for long regulated run, use an E1 around the house, and have a L2Dce for long throw. There are many other models to choose from, depending on your preference. A great dealer is www.fenix-store.com.

Geoff

JamisonM

Enlightened
I do electronic's/computer installations and was wondering if any of the Fenix lights would be a good choice.
How bright a light do you want?

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
I have several Fenix light and have had no trouble with any of them. I would recommend one of the new digital series with a Cree LED such as the L1D CE or L2D CE. The 2AA Fenix lights are about half an inch shorter than a mini-MagLED, so they're probably one quarter inch or so shorter than the regular mini Mag.
I also recommend www.fenix-store.com if you're in the US.

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Since you plan to carry it in the Browning holster, I would suggest getting Fenix's best and brightest - the P3D. I have it and it hasn't failed me through many rainstorms and rough use. And with its multiple modes you'll have the right amount of light for any task. Let me add to the votes for the Fenix Store, great products and fantastic people and support.

- Larry

moses

Enlightened
Depends on how many hours of light you are using a day and if battery cost matters. If it does, then AA rechargeables recommended. Remarkably bright.

however, with installations i'm assuming you need both hands in which case I'd prefer a headlamp if I'm doing hours of work at a time in dark places....

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Another vote for the P3D, but wait till the Q5-binned Cree led comes out on it. This is just the better, more-limited edition of the P3D CE. It will throw a lot more light and run better (more efficient).

Another option - and maybe the best (the one I went with) - would be the L2D CE. Then, when you're ready you could buy either another light like a P2D (shorter, uses a CR123 lithium) or L1D and exchange the bodies (the battery tubes) with the L2D's. This way, the head (led housing) and the tail-cap can be used on the L2D, L1D or the P2D for 2x AA, 1x AA, or 1x CR123 battery usage.

Then... after that, get rechargeables!!! Let us know what you're going to go with, but don't order your light until you've considered the second option. Personally, I bought a P2D CE and a battery tube of the L1D. Then, I went ahead and bought a complete L2D Rebel 100 (different brand, similar performance as a Cree LED) light. Thus, giving me the configuration of two complete lights with a spare battery tube. Two of the three battery configurations. I usually don't use the L1D though because the P2D is just supreme and would probably become your EDC as it is mine.

They take a beating though and I love them... good luck!
Ryan

P.S. Hey, can someone remember the code for the fenix-store? Isn't it like 8% off now when you use it?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey lumen64,

Welcome to CPF. David at the Fenix-Store.com is a great guy. I have bought many lights from him in the past and would not hesitate to do business with him again. For brightness and run time I would suggest either the P3D(2 x cr123a's) or the L2D(2 x AA). They both come with either a CREE P4, Q5, or Luxeon Rebel emitter. If you decide on the L2D, I would recommend the Energizer E2 Lithium batteries for long runtime and nice even output throughout the life of the battery. These are both great lights for the money. I have owned them both as well as other Fenix lights and never had a problem with any of them.

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find Fenix to be good balance of moderate cost coupled with a good qaulity product and is feature rich. Add to that a dealer like David at the Fenix_store and you can't go wrong IMHO

P.S. my personal favorite is my P3D Rebel

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
It's hard to go wrong with Fenix lights. They represent good quality at a moderate price.

As other have stated, buy from David at the Fenix-Store! :thumbsup:

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
Cant go wrong with Fenix Store. Just get the Fenix that is right for you and you will be happy with it.

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
Hey Lumen64, I do computers too! I currently use the Photon freedom micro because it's so small, it's great for hooking up wires when your under a desk or something. The newer white light that is 2X brighter is what I have.
I just bought my first Fenix P3D Premium 100 and got it within 3 days!!! Even though David sent the grey colored one (I think they call it natural) when I ordered the black one I still love it. (David did apologize for sending the wrong color AND offered to RMA it for a black one, but it doesn't bother me at all):oops:
Last night I shined it through the trees on low beam and saw 3 pairs of green eyes, the deer are coming in and feeding on the acorns and pecans in my front/side yard. A quick twist to turn turbo on startled them and they ran off. I was surprised at the brightness of this light coming from such a small package. I can actually see what I am looking at because it is so bright. Most LED lights I have used in the past were total junk, the only thing I liked about them was the runtime.
I think this P3D will get a lot of use this year, my wife is handicapped and loves to hunt the deer, along with her handicapped friend. They shoot the deer ( I am not a hunter) and then I track it and retrieve it for them. Last year the 3d Maglight just wasn't cutting it. We live on 350 acres so there is some realy easy hunting here for handicapped people. Okay already I'll stop my rambling now, post is getting long.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
ICspots...

Now you need a multi-cree based D-cell Maglight or a Malkoff drop-in for them... then an aspheric lens and you'll throw light a long ways and have a hella-amount of run time.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2Dce for long throw. There are many other models to choose from, depending on your preference. A great dealer is www.fenix-store.com.

Geoff
I really like my L2D-CE and am about to order another one, but I don't think I'd consider it good for long throw. IMHO, a D cell Maglite with a LED drop in is good for throw. Either way Fenix makes quality lights at "good" prices.

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
ICspots...

Now you need a multi-cree based D-cell Maglight or a Malkoff drop-in for them... then an aspheric lens and you'll throw light a long ways and have a hella-amount of run time.

Yea right, go ahead and turn me into a flashoholic why don't cha!:devil:
Any linkies to make things easy for this noob?

robk

Enlightened
Lumen64-
I also install computers, networks, etc. I have found that 2 lights serve my needs perfectly - first a Fenix L1D-Cree with a good NiMH cell like Titanium 2700 mAh from Amondotech.com (carry a spare or two in a plastic case) - low level is great for poking around inside a computer without blinding yourself, high mode for working in suspended ceilings, looking down walls to run cabling, etc. Runtime is very good - just don't use Turbo mode. Today I wired up 2 offices to an existing lan, installed 2 new Dell machines, used my P2D-Cree with rechargeable RCR123 3V Soshine cell - lasted all day in short bursts of uses, (on low I think you could get over 10 hours) It's smaller, lighter, you can hold it in your mouth when you're looking for your fish tape! I carry an extra rechargeable cell for that one, made a clip to keep it in my pocket. At 55 years old, I need a light to see anything in a ceiling or wall - I'm extremely pleased with both the L1D and P2D. Sure beats the heck out of the MiniMags I used a few years ago before I started using LED flashlights!
Check out http://fenix-store.com , He is a good guy who stands behind the sale.

Rob