Red A2 and astronomy

Dr.K

Enlightened
I did my first observing last night since I recieved my A2 red.

I found that it was too bright for up close chart reading and I had to hold it way back behind my head to preserve my night vision.

(can't wait for aviatrixes to reappear) Where's that chicken.

My Rigel systems skylight was dead, so the A2 was my only option, but still was a fantastic night.

Also, don't you guys just love to hit that incan when the night is finished:devil:

Brozneo

Enlightened
You could sand the LEDs this will reduce output and also make the beam much smoother rather than the multiple red rings it usually is!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you want is called a Skylite - Edmund Scientific and Amazon carry them. I have one and despite the fact that it's small, it's very very useful. The LED intensity is controlled with a volume control arrangement. You can select either red or white LEDs with a switch on the side. White is usefully bright and can be dialed down to nearly nothing. Same with red. The A2 is a wonderful light, but wouldn't be my first choice for that application! :).

Dr.K

Enlightened
I had sanded my red leds already.

Also, I already have a Skylite, and it says Rigel Systems on it.
My battery had died, hence the reason for using my A2 for chart reading.

I'm glad I had a backup.

On the side....
my lanyard was never on this A2, so I called surefire. New one on the way. Two thumbs way up.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had sanded my red leds already.

Also, I already have a Skylite, and it says Rigel Systems on it.
My battery had died, hence the reason for using my A2 for chart reading.

I'm glad I had a backup.

On the side....
my lanyard was never on this A2, so I called surefire. New one on the way. Two thumbs way up.

Sounds to me like the low read beam in the SF Kroma would be perfect for you!!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at th Streamlight Sidewinder too. Lots of nice options on that light esp. for saving your night vision! If the main emitter had a little more grunt I might buy it, but for your use it might just be ideal.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid, I used a Minimag with the OE red filter for my 4:00 am jaunts to find Saturn. NO danger of removing any night vision with that thing, LOL.

I got my best friend into astronomy, and one summer we did a backyard campout using a red Christmas bulb for our tent illumination. Tried playing Uno by red light... you ever realize how hard it is to tell which color card you're holding under red light?!

DM51

Flashaholic
Old military high-tech method for dimming light: piece of black sticky tape over part of the lens.