which flashlight

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Hi, im new to the forums, and wondering if you can help me. there are so many flashlights, and i cant decide what to get. im looking for one under $40 that is bright, but also lasts long (20 hrs or more). what range of lumens am i looking at? what model would you recommend?

Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you want 20 hours runtime on low? If you want a single more light to last 20 hours, that is usually in the 10-20 lumen range, not very bright. Would you mind saying why the 20 hour runtime.

The Fenix Digital model of lights all have at least 20 hours of runtime on low(1 AA model, L1D-CE). The brightest, P3D-Rebel 100 has at least 60 hours runtime on low but cost $25 about your price range.

The WF-400 with 2 18650 3.7v batteries(Trustfires is the cheapest protected ones I've seen) and charger is just around $40. It will give you good throw and lots of light and 2-3 hours runtime on high and 8+ hours on low.

:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Here's a review of the light(318 lux and about 22 lumen). At 28 hours, the light will still be on but very dim.

I think you get a better deal with the WF-400 with batteries and charger. It would be $5 cheaper and you're getting not just the light but also two batteries and a charger. This light would have at least 20 time more lux(6000+ lux) then the Streamlight and and have 100-110 lumen out put on high. Even on low it would have more lux and output then the Streamlight. For the same price as the Streamlight, you could purchase the WF-600 instead of the WF-400. Even more throw(10000+ lux) at the same amount of light(review).

The Luxeon I are half the efficiency of the LED used in the WF-400, The Cree XR-E Q2. For the same power, the Cree would produce twice the amount of light. That goes ofr all the newer LEDs, Cree, Seoul, and Rebel. The higher bins are more then double the efficiency of the Luxeon I, III, V, and K2.

For the same price, you could purchase this(No batteries included, relatively short runtime). Thread

Beamshots(the Dexlight is 90-100 lumens and around 3000 Lux throw)
Sorry to hear man:mecry:

I'm not sure if there are two versions of this or if yours is a manufakturing failure?:shrug:

I agree, the output vs. price contrast is very good. I'm by now are satisfied with this light. Wanna know why?

Pictures::naughty:

First Dexlight X1, much the same as Jetbeam MKii X, on 14500:

And now MX POWER: got throw?:drool:

MfG Mr.Urahara

TA_ls1

Enlightened
So you guys are recommending the Fenix P3D or the Cree WF-400 or WF-600. Is the Fenix worth the higher price over the Cree? If I go with the Cree, should I get the 400 or 600? Which is best regarding brightness vs runtime? Is there any other lights I should look at?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Keep in mind, Cree isn't a brand of flashlight, just a brand of the emitter used. Depending on which Fenix P3D you get, they come with several flavors of Luxeon Rebel or Cree emitters.

However, the Fenix is more pocketable because of the sleeker design, IMO.

Check here for some comparisons between Fenix's.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Yeah I didn't realize Cree isn't a brand of flashlight, I'm just learning all this now. So the Fenix is that much better than the WF 400 or WF 600? The WFs seems like good flashlights too.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
20 hrs is just an estimate, but im looking for something in that range. This is a flashlight ive been looking at http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-task-lights-3aa-luxeon-black-51006.html
what do you think of this one? it says 35 lumens and 28 hrs of run time.

That Streamlight 3AA was a very nice light four years ago, per this review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tasklux.htm

While it's still a decent light, it's technology is rather dated and it's overpriced in the market of today, IMHO. Believe me, at 20 hours the output of that light will be quite dim compared to its starting output.

For a light under 40 bucks with 20+ hours of steady, bright ouput see this review:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

A 3D MagLED http://www.brightguy.com/products/MagLite_3_D-cell_LED_Flashlight.php will give over 22 hours of bright output, followed by a long, long tail of dimmer output that should still be bright enough for finding your way and close up tasks.

If that isn't long enough runtime, the 4D MagLED will give 43+ hours of bright output!

The big MagLEDs are excellent lights, because they're reliable, durable, reasonably priced, lifetime-warranteed, and available at local big box stores.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get 20 hours of runtime you need BIG bateries. I second ringzero's recommendation of a D size MagLED. Which one you get depends on how big a light you want to carry.

If you want the latest LED (2X the brightnes of the MagLED) you need $20 more plus shipping. elektrolumens Anglelux-P4

You can also buy an 3D incan Maglight and upgrade with a TerraLUX TLE-6EXB upgrade bulb. I would not want to use that bulb with a 2D maglight as there are reports it will not work when the battery voltage is below 2.7V.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix is better in quality and overall output but the WF-400/WF-600 will kill it in the throw(and size) department(well, they aren't that much bigger, more of a sedan to wagon or minivan size increase). All three light have the Cree LED, the P3D-Rebel 100 has a Rebel 100 LED which is brighter(more efficient) then the Cree P4 used in the P3D-CE.

The P3D will run over 20 hours if you keep it in low(runtimes, over 3 days on low), so will the P2D(runtimes, over a day on low), the 1 AA Jetbeam CL-E(review, also over a day on low) V2.0 will also run for over 20 hours on low. The Olight T20 will also run for a long time on low, similar to the P3D-CE. The WF-400/WF-600 light will probably hit between 15-20 hours on low with two batteries.

Cree, Seoul and Luxeon just make LEDs, they don't produce their own lights :)

TA_ls1

Enlightened
So out of all these flashlights you guys have recommended me, which is the most versatile? It sounds like the fenix. Is it worth the extra $30 about over the WF-400 and 600? Is is the best light in its price range? I am leaning towards the fenix right now.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix is probably the most versatile but the WF has very far throw. The Fenix woul look closer to the first beamshot in the 4h post(but about twice as bright) and the WF-600 would look like an mixture of both beamshots, a smaller but more intense center the the MX-power but with a bit more spill the the Dexlight.

How about the OLight T20 Q5? That would be the on I would recommend, more throw(but still less then the WF-600) and thicker body then the P3D, you could also run it on 17670 3.7v rechargeable batteries.