Limited production of AAAs with "snow" led

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are in the process of producing a small number of Arc-AAAs with the latest "snow" LED. Some CPF'ers have expressed an interest in a whiter Arc-AAA. However, it is hard to tell how much of a demand there would be from forum posts. So I figure we could make a small run (50 pcs) and find out.

To prepare, I ordered the snow LEDs, had a program written for the CNC to cut the larger hole in the reflector, made up some reflectors, built some test units, tested them at LSI, etc. We are currently finishing assembly and will be ready to ship the first units by the 15th (monday). We are accepting orders starting today, which will be back ordered until they ship on the 15th.

Specs:

Arc-AAA Snow
$39.95
6 lumen min, 7lm typical
5hrs to 50%
stock driver (lithium ok, 45ma to LED max, 40mA typ)
marking: "Arc-P"

Once the 50 are sold, I may or may not decided to make more.

For the beam shots, I used a canon SD550 and a dry erase white board. the flashlights are about 1ft from the board. You can just see the tips of them in the bottom of the frame. The left beam is from a CS Nichia (camo unit, 7lm typ) and the right beam is from a Snow (7lm typ). The first image is with auto white balance and the second is with fluoresecent light white balance. Neither one looks quite like the actual beams. Generally, the snow LED is a cool white, smoother and more consistent with the tint, similiar corona, slightly less CP but larger hotspot with a more rapid transistion to the corona, slightly less throw than the CS.

Img_2761.jpg

Img_2766.jpg

Order from our Accessories Page

peter

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened
Wow, I'm impressed. I'm not one of the people who griped about tint on the Nichia emitter, but I want to say that it's very generous of Peter to do this test-run of Snow-emitter Arcs. He had to go through a decent amount of effort to get this done, and I think he deserves a pat on the back from the CPF membership for catering to our every whim and desire - which isn't easy!

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I'm impressed. I'm not one of the people who griped about tint on the Nichia emitter, but I want to say that it's very generous of Peter to do this test-run of Snow-emitter Arcs. He had to go through a decent amount of effort to get this done, and I think he deserves a pat on the back from the CPF membership for catering to our every whim and desire - which isn't easy!
agree, thanks for doing this Peter!

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I'm impressed. I'm not one of the people who griped about tint on the Nichia emitter, but I want to say that it's very generous of Peter to do this test-run of Snow-emitter Arcs. He had to go through a decent amount of effort to get this done, and I think he deserves a pat on the back from the CPF membership for catering to our every whim and desire - which isn't easy![/QUOTE

I also agree that Peter went the extra mile in trying to accomodate many of us and deserves a pat on the back. I was one of those individuals that complained about the angry blue. Nevertheless, I sent a money order in yesterday for 2 Arc DS's and a UV AAA.

Now, here's the irony.....I am contemplating keeping my order (yes, after all that complaining....go figure). I think the 30% increase in power (9 lumens) has me going. Also, just when I had finally convinced myself to accept the blue tint! However, the snow led should have relatively the same amount of brightness the current AAA-P has.

All that to say......I'm sooooooooo confused!!!!!! Well, I need to make a quick decision before the Snow versions are gone.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect! Now I don't have enough key chains for my Arc AAA lights...

:thinking:

...I got it!:thumbsup:

I'll just have to buy another car for my new AAA-Snow.

:paypal: for 1.

Peter, get the LS to market soon so I can buy it too:nana:

Zerius

Newly Enlightened
uh-ho =( what about the poor saps who have yet to ahve their paypal to clear? Do you take e-cheques? =D

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to Peter for doing this test run! I just ordered one. I was on the fence about getting a DS but I was hesitant due to the tint (yeah I have become a bit of a tint snob). I was just about to pull the trigger on a DS but as soon as I logged on to CPF a I saw this thread. Thanks again Peter and I am looking forward to it.

N162E

Enlightened
The snow leds may not actually be brighter, but they sure do look like it. I'm in!!!:paypal:

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, cool, thanks Peter, I didn't realize you'd have to program the CNC differently just to change the led. Man I'm tempted to order one of these things. I clicked "add to cart" but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's crazy for me to buy one of these since I already have three other 1aaa snow lights from that other company. Must resist... must resist.... arrrgggh!!! Order placed.

paulr

Flashaholic
Peter, do you have a current vs. voltage graph for this circuit? I'm a little worried about the level of overdrive to the snow led, given the experiments that show rather fast fade at higher currents. I think I'm going make a point of not using lithiums in this light, though that will be easy since I rarely use lithiums anyway.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance for a comparison between the new DS and Snow? I was on the sidelines waiting for a new AAA arc, and now I have to choose between two!!!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination,

If you wait long enough, the decision will be made for you. Only 50 of the "snow" ones have been made.

Ha! Good point. I just ordered a Snow Arc AAA...I'm not a fan of blue tinted LEDs and don't want to take the risk of getting a bright (but blue) DS. (From what I have read on the other threads, some of the new DSs are pretty white while others have the blue tint.)

Worse come to worse, I'll give this one away and buy a DS down the road...I'm sure I'm going to like it anyway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.