Times Square New Years Eve Ball - Now LED

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The famous ball that gets dropped every New Years Eve in Times Square will be lit this year with LEDs. I did make it to Times Square 4 years ago to watch the ball drop. That was quite an experience for the two of us. Lots of people, lots of police, all in all a very safe New Years Eve. The weather was nice, temperature above freezing.

The link gives a brief history and talks about the new LED ball.

http://www.timessquarenyc.org/nye/nye_ball.html

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
nice....running incandescents the ball can only drop slowly...maybe with LEDs they can actually bounce it into the next year:D

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the Waterford Crystal, the LEDs, the controls and everything else - I don't think you will see any bouncing...

Here's a question - does anyone know why it is lowered as opposed to being raised? Tradition?

Illum

Flashaholic
With all the Waterford Crystal, the LEDs, the controls and everything else - I don't think you will see any bouncing...

Here's a question - does anyone know why it is lowered as opposed to being raised? Tradition?

it was meant be a joke for the shock resistance of LEDs....maybe I should have used the [:crackup:] smilie:candle:

good question on why the ball "drops" though:grin2:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
it was meant be a joke for the shock resistance of LEDs:

I knew it was a joke -

If you think about it though - they could bounce it 4 times - once for each number of the year 2008 - when it hits the 8 that would be when they set off the fireworks..

at any rate - I happened to catch part of the announcement on Cable TV - the display from the LEDs should be spectacular. They also mentioned the heat being thrown off the ball from the LEDs...

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast

I heard they were going to dribble it down 42nd unil 10 seconds before when Larry Bird will toss it up the flag pole! :lolsign:

This thing is WILD!! Is it time to buy stock in Cree and Phillips yet!?!?!?!?!