haha...finally gone away from maglights!

Illum

Flashaholic
A little story I wanted to share
Since I work normally at night, as a sophomore yesterday was my first time going on campus at night [intentionally], since night classes end at 9 I wasn't trespassing going there at 8:40:rolleyes:.

several weeks ago I got stuck on campus with a dead car battery by having my sidelights on for a full day, I received assistance from a golf cart and a security guy welding a 4D mag. I was surprised that not only was there a jump starter on the golf car there was also fire extinguishers and 2 containers marked "gasoline" [yeah students these days, driving with broken odometers and dead fuel gauges] but the fact that his 4D mag didn't have a lens, and it was a mere glow that reminded me of a toaster oven on high.:ohgeez:

When I went there yesterday, I carried as usual a surefire L4 on the belt and an A2 in my pocket...I heard some rustling in the bushes directly behind a campus building where apparently has no working walkway lights. I lit up the L4 and approached it. Just by coincidence the same guy who helped me with the car was on patrol and upon seeing my wall of light stopped his vehicle and approached me from behind. [apparently he later admitted thought I was another security guy who found something suspicious:grin2:]

When I turned to face him, under the L4 backwash from the campus wall I saw a black flashlight with the vivid words "streamlight" white against the black body :twothumbs. He saw me and said "you again?" chuckled humorously and then returned to the stern face before asking me "what did you find?" [apparently disregarding the L4 I was welding] I told him I heard some rustling and curiosity got to me. He didn't smile this time and replied "be careful what your getting into...":thinking: I didn't say a word regarding the topic after that, so I changed the topic
me:"so um...remember some time ago you helped me jump my car? yeah the minivan, no the white one, yes the one that didn't have fuzzy dice, uh say what happened to that mag of yours?"
him: "that was my own light, we got issued these" *pulling out from holster*
me: "a streamlight polystinger:cool:" [without looking at the light]
him: "you have one too, yeah its damn bright...don't bring your on campus or I'll have to confiscate it":rolleyes:
me: what about LED lights *clicking on the L4, ceiling bouncing on the aluminum walkway roof*
him: "mmm, I suppose LEDs are okay" :eek:oo::candle:
His radio crackled with some indistinguishable words and he told me he has to run 'cause some kids with skateboards are seen riding around the bookstore stairs, I waved and blinked my L4 at his golf cart and he turned around and blinked his stinger...yeah I was blinded somewhat momentarily:ohgeez:

no idea why, but it was exciting talking to a security guy on campus and it made my day knowing his has something better to use than a stock maglight

Anyone else have found their campus or workplace upgraded their duty lights? its about time!:mad::grin2:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had something simular happen to me on the UC Berkeley campus. I was walking a friend home and we cut through the campus. We got illuminated so I returned the favour with my E2d. It turns out it was campus police. We had a friendly chat about flashlights and they were impressed that a "civilian" would be carrying a Surefire.

That made my night!

Illum

Flashaholic
:wtf: Why would he confiscate a flashlight? Even more to the point, why on Earth would he confiscate a certain flashlight, but not other types? Or was he just joking about it?

He didn't sound joking though when he said it. I only know two incidents that were reported [found in a lengthy discussion with a professor after he noticed flashlights on me] one was the use of a 1MCP spotlight against cars going about on the road adjacent to campus and the other was an apparent brawl concerning a maglite

lightemup

Flashaholic*
The Campus security at the University of Queensland is very professional, and all of the guys and girls i've ran into seemed to come standard issue with common sense ;)

Things like when working late at the computer labs when they come in for id checks they ask if we'd mind parking in the closest car park next time so it is easier for them to look after us with the cameras.

I locked my keys in the car once right before an exam and couldn't put my parking ticket inside the car. I've had a car stolen before so I was also worried about someone coming by and taking off with it. I called them up and explained what was happening...

My dad and next door neighbour came a bit later with a spare key and went to the car before giving me a call. A officer pulled them up and asked them what they were up to. I'd given them my name and number on the phone, so security called me to let me know what was going on and whether I knew them. I came to the car and off we went. I really do appreciate when people take pride in their work, I was very appreciative of their professionalism :)

From memory a couple of them have maglites, one used a streamlight and another had a Surefire 8nx. Each of them seemed pretty happy with what they had meeting their needs...

If my maglite hadn't died from energizer's leaking in it I would still use it without hesitation. I've now got better tools for the job, but IMHO they're still good to go.

Now the Flashaholic in me completely agrees with you, MORE POWER :) I don't think i'll stop until I can find a e2e size pumping out 5000 lumens! I think at that point i'll at least slow down on chasing output upgrades!

DM51

Flashaholic
I don't think i'll stop until I can find a e2e size pumping out 5000 lumens! I think at that point i'll at least slow down on chasing output upgrades!
LOL no you won't, you'll just start chasing 10,000 lm in an E1e.

meuge

Enlightened
him: "you have one too, yeah its damn bright...don't bring your on campus or I'll have to confiscate it"
And may I ask what authority does campus security have to deprive you of your private property?

If a school security guard said that to me, I'd laugh in his face.

Boy SureFire

Enlightened
"If my maglite hadn't died from energizer's leaking in it I would still use it without hesitation."

that's the reason I got my SF 6P and what brought me to CPF:twothumbs, because after going through ten mags I decided no cheap crap lights.

Patriot

Flashaholic
seeing my wall of light stopped his vehicle and approached me from behind.

returned to the stern face before asking me "what did you find?"
He didn't smile this time and replied "be careful what your getting into..."
don't bring your on campus or I'll have to confiscate it"
His radio crackled with some indistinguishable words and he told me he has to run 'cause some kids with skateboards are seen riding around the bookstore stairs,

Did he look like any of these guys?

mallcopbarney_fife-7098341.jpg

mall_cop_002.jpg

mallcoppolice_academy_1.jpg

tpolley

Newly Enlightened
what's wrong with mag light? i have a rechargeable mag light that i've been happy with for 4 years. i would never carry it every day but it stays in my truck. i understand there are brighter flashlights out there but you're talking about a streamlight that starts at $40 or $50 versus a AA mag light that costs under $10. they arent even in the same category. thats like comparing a ferrari to a ford. both are fine cars and will get you there. one costs alot more but will get you there faster. if i need/ can afford something that will light up a parking lot and start fires while being small enough to fit on a belt comfortably i'll buy a stream light or sure fire. if i need to light up a small area like the inside of a copier and don't want to burn my retnas with the reflected light i'll buy a mini mag. just my two cents. :thumbsup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that the campus police officer was referring to 3D mags or larger that are often considered weapons because of the baton like appearance. In CA it is pretty much known that the CHP will question you when you have a 3D mag size light in your car, and they have the option to call it a weapon and take it from you particularly if they consider you sort of a suspicious type person. If carrying it on a street and you look sort of innocuous the police will give you no problems. This thinking is nothing new, and just the way it is.

Bill

tpolley

Newly Enlightened
I think that the campus police officer was referring to 3D mags or larger that are often considered weapons because of the baton like appearance. In CA it is pretty much known that the CHP will question you when you have a 3D mag size light in your car, and they have the option to call it a weapon and take it from you particularly if they consider you sort of a suspicious type person. If carrying it on a street and you look sort of innocuous the police will give you no problems. This thinking is nothing new, and just the way it is.

Bill
quoting the late george carlin
what if a man has really big powerfull hands? do they consider that a weapon?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
they can't take his fist away.
But the police would probably give him just a little more attention, particularly if he looks dodgey.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's wrong with mag light? i have a rechargeable mag light that i've been happy with for 4 years. i would never carry it every day but it stays in my truck. i understand there are brighter flashlights out there but you're talking about a streamlight that starts at $40 or $50 versus a AA mag light that costs under $10. they arent even in the same category. thats like comparing a ferrari to a ford. both are fine cars and will get you there. one costs alot more but will get you there faster. if i need/ can afford something that will light up a parking lot and start fires while being small enough to fit on a belt comfortably i'll buy a stream light or sure fire. if i need to light up a small area like the inside of a copier and don't want to burn my retnas with the reflected light i'll buy a mini mag. just my two cents. :thumbsup:
The ford - ferrari analogy, I agree.

As with your latter statements regarding the right light level for the right situation. It gives me this feeling you're assuming all lights only have 1 brightness level.
Just in case you're not sure, many lights out there can produce as little light as a Maglite Solitare, yet can also have its brightness level to get to as high as a Maglite 4D AND every other brightness level in between.

i.e. new flashlights can be multi-purpose

Just like how a car can be a 4WD, pick up truck and people mover! =D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
they can't take his fist away.
But the police would probably give him just a little more attention, particularly if he looks dodgey.

There's more to it than that.

If a guy makes his money as a boxer, and he beats up someone outside the ring; he could get into more legal trouble than if he worked as... let's say a cab driver.

Laws vary. But in some places, the boxer would be held to a higher standard.

Boy SureFire

Enlightened
I hate dealing W/ stupid rent-a-cops guards on power trip. Just because you drive a *)#^ing golf complete w/plastic doors, and a badge doesn't make you a cop. Anyone who even tries to steel my light gets an SF 6PDL hand stamp:hitit: (free of charge of course).:devil:

Rexlion

Enlightened
No one seems to have commented about what was going on in the bushes. Hmmm, to be young again... :whistle: