Anyone like wine?

o0o

Enlightened
I try to get out and do as much wine tasting as possible. I'm NOT a conesseur--I either like them or I don't. I couldn't describe any of the flavors some wine tasters describe if my life depended on it.

My favorite variety to date seems to be very unpopular among most people, Petite Sirah. To me, its big, bold, and full flavored. Yet most seem to be easy to drink even when young--yet also have room for aging.

After Petite Sirah, I also like these varieties very much,:

Syrah / Shiraz
Cabernet
Zinfandel

I can't really get into white wines, as they lack the heavy body and fruit flavor that I like. I'm also not a big fan of light reds like Pinot--although I have found some Pinots that I like.

What do you all like?

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
I've been on a recent kick with white bordeauxes from France. I also like some Argentinian reds -- good price for good drinking wines! I am not fond of spending more than $25 on a bottle.

-- Tony

o0o

Enlightened
^My price limit is generally about $40.

From my limited experience, its NOT hard to find quality wine for $15-20.

In fact, I found a really good Petite for only $10.

My favorite Petite is a little more though.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy a good red table wine. I don't get to do much wine tasting, and have never taken expensive wines; but I do enjoy a glass most nights. There are some terrible cheap wines, but there are some decent reasonably priced bottles out there as well. (I've not yet tried two buck chuck btw... anyone like or hate it?)

I also don't have much of a taste for white wines. I generally like Merlot and Cabernet without a strong aftertaste. (I read an article in an airline magazine once that gave the special names for all the little nuances and mouth stimulations of wine but I forgot them about 5 minutes later.)
I can say for my personal tastes fruit = good, oak = bad.

tygger

Enlightened
I can't really get into white wines, as they lack the heavy body and fruit flavor that I like. I'm also not a big fan of light reds like Pinot--although I have found some Pinots that I like.

What do you all like?

I recommend you try some New Zealand savignon blanc. The grapes from the Marlborough region are pretty awesome. If you like citrus I highly recommend the Whitehaven savignon blanc. I also really like
La Crema Chardonnay. You won't be disappointed. Oh, and both are right at the $20 range so you won't go broke. As far as reds go, I'm not a Pino fan either but one of my surprise personal favorites is the Summerland Pinot Noir. Right now I don't have the budget to break the $20-$25 barrier but it doesn't really matter because there are so many amazing wines for less than that.

kaseri

Enlightened
If you like Cabs give Trinchero a try. It's reasonably priced and very good.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
If you like Petite Syrah, check out Nero d Avola from Sicily. It's a reasonably priced red of very good quality. Our Trader Joes ususally stocks one and it's priced at $4.99. Price aside, I've fallen in love with the full bodied Syrah-like plum and spice flavors.

Some beautiful Malbec's rich with plum and spice flavors are available in the states. Some bargains are still available from Argentine and Chilean vintners.

Cabernet Franc when done right is quite beautiful. Often with plum and violet flavors, It's generally lighter than a cab and more fruity, with lighter sweeter tannins. Lang and Reed produces one of my favorites. La Jota's Cab Framc can be special.

Merlot's from Napa Valley's Spring Mountain can be huge. Paloma is my wife's favorite. Not cheap but a special treat.

On a hot afternoon nothing beats a chilled glass of Riesling from Smith Madrone, also a Sping Mountain favorite.

o0o

Enlightened
(I've not yet tried two buck chuck btw... anyone like or hate it?)

IMO, its about average quality for the price. Drinkable, but also watered down and low in flavor.

I don't buy 2 buck chuck (for my needs, I need more substance and flavor), but if its the only thing available at someone's house I'll drink it.

o0o

Enlightened
If you like Petite Syrah, check out Nero d Avola from Sicily. It's a reasonably priced red of very good quality. Our Trader Joes ususally stocks one and it's priced at $4.99. Price aside, I've fallen in love with the full bodied Syrah-like plum and spice flavors.

Some beautiful Malbec's rich with plum and spice flavors are available in the states. Some bargains are still available from Argentine and Chilean vintners.

Will give those a try if I can find them.

I like the Petite Sirahs that Rosenblum makes (their $18 Heritage Petite is quiet good), as well as Madigral's (http://www.madrigalvineyards.com/wine.html)... plus I just picked up a few other brands too that I will report on.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Not a connoisseur or anything, but I really like the Pécharmant Cros de la Sal 2003 from Chateau Terre Vieille.

Some info on Pécharmant wine, as it's fairly unknown:

The Pécharmant area is quite small, situated in the north of the Bergerac region in France. The wine is produced by very strict rules:

- Pécharmant can only come from the communities of Creysse, Lembras, Bergerac and Saint Sauveur and from fields approved by the INAO.
- Pécharmant can only be made of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot noir, Côt or Malbec grapes. Three of these have to be present in the wine.
- A maximum of 9884 acres per vinyard.
- A maximum production of 1188 US Gallons per 2.47 acres of vinyard.
- The wine has to ripen for at least a year before it can be marketed.

The name of my favorite chateau 'Terre Vieille', which translates to 'Old Earth', comes from the hundreds of prehistoric stone tools like two-sided flint knifes, scrapers, blades,spike,axes and more found within the vinyard. They have a nice little exposition about them too. Also, it is the oldest vineyard in the Bergerac wine area, dating back to the 11th century.
How do I know all this? Well, I was lucky enough to go visit the chateau and get a private tour & winetasting from the chateaus master winemaker himself :)

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
Never had Oyster Bay. Haven't heard of it, but its now on my list. Which one do you like, their sav. blanc? Oh, the other marlborough I like is Nautilus. Great thread, you guys are giving me a nice list of stuff to try.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I like their Sauv Blanc and Merlot. The Merlot is nice and smooth, and it'll really open up nicely if you open it and let it breathe for 15 minutes.

Because of the drought in Australia you'll find that alot of the post 2002 Sauv Blanc's have a nice 'fruity' property to them. When I was in San Francisco visiting a friend who was a uni student I was amazed by the range of quality Aussie wines in Target of all places (Targets don't sell alcohol in Australia)! We got a nice bottle of Coonawarra Cab Sauv for $9.99 US, I couldn't believe it! With the Glutton of grapes on the Australian market we've enjoyed great prices lately.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the country of the best Malbecs the best three wines in my possesion are blends:

vinos

There are a lot of excelent Argentina wines and you would not believe the price/quality ratio of them, what is sold here around $50 pesos is sold outside Argentina at u$d50 (thats 3 times more)

Oops, forgot to answer: Yes I do like wine :)

Pablo

da.gee

Enlightened
Yes I like wine! Just had a good Malbec from Argentina. I think it Trapiche Oak Cask. Not expensive and very tasty! I have generally enjoyed Malbecs and South American wines are some of the best bargains particularly Chile and Argentina.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I like wine! Just had a good Malbec from Argentina. I think it Trapiche Oak Cask. Not expensive and very tasty! I have generally enjoyed Malbecs and South American wines are some of the best bargains particularly Chile and Argentina.

Yeah Trapiche Roble, nice wine for its price (around 25 pesos here/u$d10) if you can find Trapiche wines there try the syrah, very good wine.

I dont really know much about tempranillos, but will ask some friends and let you know during the week.

I mostly drink malbec, syrah and cabernet sauvignons in red wines, and in white wines there is torrontes here (from the North of Argentina) like the malbec very caracteristical of our country.

Pablo

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Just googled torrontes and sounds like it resembles a viognier, one of my favorite whites. I'll have to look for some.

da.gee

Enlightened
We are quite blessed in the Pacific NW USA to have many good and great wines to choose from. Oregon is getting quite a good rep for their Pinot Noirs and I have had several. Unfortunately they are showing their pride with appropriate pricing! Thank goodness for all the great microbrews too!