Early observations on Target purchase: Vector Sport Shot 3mmcp vs x990 and SF m6

fracman

Newly Enlightened
First, the Vector Sportshot is clunky, a little hard to hold, heavy. The beam is irregularly shaped whether on one or two bulbs with a wide area of erratic intensity. I am trying to say everything bad about it first, because it is a HUGE light for the price. It comes with wall and 12v chargers, has 3 settings (work light 15 hrs, single and dual "beams"). I loaded up new 123s in the M6 and got on the balcony to look into the opening in the dark woods 800 yards away. The m6 has a perfectly round light , the center of which lit up the opening very well, but the bushes behind it were poorly lit. The Vector lit the area up much better, but not nearly as well as the x990. The HID light is radically brighter. I lit up some ANRI hand painted and gilt nativities on a dark room and the Vector made them have a too blue color. The M6 was much better and the x990 was like daylight.

The Vector is no maxabeam, but it is a less than 50$ rechargeable that is brighter in total light output than an x10 dominator or an m6. That, my friends is something each of you can have in your car for those times you just need some more photons.
http://www.target.com/common/catalog/product.jhtml?prodid=78525&catnav=8838&navAction=push&navCount=1

PS, I don't regret the x990 and am going to get a maxabeam. Now if I can just get a JOB!
rolleyes.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fracman:

How does the weight of the Vector compare to that of the x990? (How easy is the x990 to carry--how does it feel in your hand?)

Thanks,
flashfan

fracman

Newly Enlightened
The x990 is far easier to hold and the head rotates 90 degrees. There is almost no really comfortable way to hold the Vector -- while the x990 is a joy to hold in spite of its weight. .

The vector has a squeeze trigger you must hold in. It gets a HOT light. The x990 has a switch. The Vector is plastic and clunky. The x990 is metal and slick. I don't want anyone to confuse the Target model with anything out of pk-engineering! BUT, it is cheap and available and BRIGHT.

the Vector handle isn't quite right, the strap is about 6 inches shorter than it should be and the mnaterials are a bit on the cheesy side. But it is a lot of light for less than 45$!!

I will likely be buying 2 or 3 more (VECTORS..I doubt I am getting another x990!) and leaving them with the kids for their cars.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

fracman, thanks for the comparisons!
How much are you going to pay for the Maxa Beam? Think we could get two for less? Any one else want a Maxabeam?
I haven't done the search yet, but Kenshiro posted some of stuff about changing out the bulbs on lights like the Vector and LSI, and getting much more light for the same watts...but iirc the 2 bulbs for the Vector would cost more than the light itself..
Where'd Kenshiro go? Last I heard from him he and I were shining Fa Mi's , the Vectors and LSI, and an M6 out across a ravine at my place..unfortunatley niether of us had a digicam at the time..(I wish he'd post a chart or list about those bulbs...!)

fracman

Newly Enlightened
The Maxabeam itself with only 12v charger is less than 1000, but a battery, strap, case and recharger drive it up to 1350. No likelihood of volume discounts as they are selling them like pancakes to the military and border patrol and I am having to wait in line for mine. Situation on Gen III night vision gear and good thermal imaging equipment is worse.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparison!

I purchased a Vector 2 bulb 3 million CP light for my Brother-in-law for Christmas, and I prefered the beam and light output of my Optronics 2 million CP light. I thought it was actually brighter, and cleaner, and better shaped than the Vector.