Cree vs Rebel vs Seoul?

jdong

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious, is there clear/definite winner in terms of efficiency or consistency in hue between these three new generation LED's, or is it just plain win-win-win over the previous generation of Luxeon emitters?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
They all have their positives and negatives.

I think the SSC Is the overall better choice for retro-fitting current luxeon lights.
Rebels for new upcoming flashlights, and XR-E's for High Powered lights.

I'd like to try out those rebels on custom lights though. :thumbsup:

jdong

Newly Enlightened
They all have their positives and negatives.

I think the SSC Is the overall better choice for retro-fitting current luxeon lights.
Rebels for new upcoming flashlights, and XR-E's for High Powered lights.

I'd like to try out those rebels on custom lights though. :thumbsup:

But what are the performance / brightness / efficiency aspects of them that lead you to your preferences?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebels quite new(or is it?) and personally I do not really care whats stables the leds come from so long as it has the right properties(performance specs) I am after. It is a different scenario if one has the ability to tryout before purchase.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I guess a lot of it would be what light it's put in and what driver it's paired with.... I recently got a Lumapower LM31 and I am totally satisfied with its output levels and runtimes. I couldn't really care for much more brightness, but if it's possible to get longer runtimes that'd always be a bonus no matter how good it is already!

I guess at this point, that variable is mostly determined by what brightness level the mfr decides to design the driver circuit to power.

moses

Enlightened
I like the Rebel tint but I'm told that the Cree has vastly better heatsinking capabilities and thus durability. So if I was going to drive them very hard, I'd go with Cree. Otherwise, I prefer the Rebel's tint and lower Vf for lower powered application including single AA.

Moses

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
I like the Rebel 100 tint the best, and I think it's also the most efficient of the three because of it's lower Vf. I've noticed that the Cree Q5 requires higher Vf at it's rated currents, which means it sucks up a little more power than initially thought (specs based on current and not watt). Those Seoul 42180-U bin are good too (which I believe are made with Cree technology).

Maybe not a clear winner, but today I'm more interested in another Rebel light.