Talking flashlights with the police today

KingGlamis

Banned
Today two local police officers stopped by my work to "make sure we haven't had any problems" which really means they wanted to check out all of our cool stuff while on duty. :twothumbs So after the owner showed them around for a while they were in my office and I asked one of them what he carries for a flashlight. He proudly says "Surefire Only" and pulls out an M6 Guardian and a Z2 Combatlight. I checked out his lights, explaining that I can't exactly afford lights like that but I'm aware of the quality. He said he had dropped the lights many times and only broke the lens on the M6 once when he threw it at a fleeing suspect and missed. :eek: I took out my Superfire WF-501D and handed it to him, saying that I can only afford cheap copies like this. He turns it on and shines it around and says "Wow, that's pretty damn bright, impressive." Certainly not as bright as his M6, but not too far off.

The other cop then came over and says "Do you like LED lights?" I said sure, I like all lights. He hands me a light, and I can't remember the name right now, started with a G. It was decently bright, probably about 100 lumens. He then shows us the strobe mode, which he says they often use when rushing a suspect. He said they use the strobe to disorient people and that it really only works when it is pretty dark, but it works well.

Meanwhile the owner of our company was shaking his head and laughing, telling the cops, "Yeah, Doug is a flashlight nut, I'm not at all surprised that he asked to see your lights."

Before the cops left they said "You know, not all Surefire's are expensive. You should get a G2 Nitrolon. It's cheap and pretty bright." I told them I was aware of the G2 and might just buy one. I then told them I was actually leaning more towards a Fenix P3D. They both had a blank stare. One said, "Who makes that?" I said Fenix makes it. Both of them said they had never heard of Fenix. :drool: I was kind of surprised since up until that point they seemed to have a good knowledge of flashlights.

Anyway, it was cool chatting with the local police about flashlights.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix are not lights made for Law Enforcement. Even if they were, why should they know about them? There's only a couple of online stores across the world selling them... CPF is not real world.

KingGlamis

Banned
Fenix are not lights made for Law Enforcement. Even if they were, why should they know about them? There's only a couple of online stores across the world selling them... CPF is not real world.

They should know about them because some Fenix lights are better than what they currently carry. BTW... what makes a light "made for Law Enforcement?"

And CPF is not real world... WOW... then why are you here? :wave:

weed099

Newly Enlightened
Maglight, Streamlight, and Surefire. I'd be willing to bet those 3 brands are 97% of whats in the Law Enforcement hands around the country. The only other thing I've seen in our Dept. is some no name $5-10 pocket flashlights guys pick up at Walmart or Target. I'd never heard of Fenix until I started looking through this forum. I do want a P2D now though, but more as a bail out bag light.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should know about them because some Fenix lights are better than what they currently carry. BTW... what makes a light "made for Law Enforcement?"

And CPF is not real world... WOW... then why are you here? :wave:
Because we are flashaholics. 99.9% of the world's population believes that stock Maglites are state of the art lights.

As for "what makes a light "made for Law Enforcement?" How about KISS concept, reliability (combat proven) and decent warranty? Take a good look at your local PD.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
...I can't remember the name right now, started with a G...

Gladius(Modded with a Seoul?), did it look like this?

There are quite a few LEOs who use Fenix lights(Just ask 4sevens) but that's not the area that Fenix meant to sell their lights to. The L1/2T V2.0 with the forward clickie is the most suitable for LEO use IMO.

I've heard Fenix and Jetbeam were sold at a few stores around the country.

Great story

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's where I was going with it too!! :)

Yep, that was it, Gladius.

I always tell my buddy he needs a back up light to his duty carried MRV. ALthough a good torch, a nice E1L or E1E would be good to keep in a pocket.

Any Fenix or LUmapower pocket light will do... ALways good to have a back-up

Supernam

Enlightened
The only reason most LEO's know about SF is that they appear in every gun magazine along with all the other Tacticool gear. You shoulda surprised them with a Mag 2C ROP Hi.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Gee lucky you weren't in this country, if you were, only one of them probably would have had a light on their belt and chances are it would have been some cheap thing that wouldn't have lit anything up beyond 2 metres. :thumbsdow

It amazes me how many guys that i work with rely on the Magcharger that is supplied with nothing else. The guys just aren't willing to spend the money. Surefires are probably the most common (that really isn't many either) mainly because they are known as the best and the most expensive, but noone really knows why. The G2 and 6P are pretty much the limit, although i did see a 8N the other day. I still haven't seen one that will outshine my Raider which suprises the guys who do own the SF's.

KingGlamis

Banned
Gee lucky you weren't in this country, if you were, only one of them probably would have had a light on their belt and chances are it would have been some cheap thing that wouldn't have lit anything up beyond 2 metres. :thumbsdow

It amazes me how many guys that i work with rely on the Magcharger that is supplied with nothing else. The guys just aren't willing to spend the money. Surefires are probably the most common (that really isn't many either) mainly because they are known as the best and the most expensive, but noone really knows why. The G2 and 6P are pretty much the limit, although i did see a 8N the other day. I still haven't seen one that will outshine my Raider which suprises the guys who do own the SF's.

Seems odd that a police officer wouldn't want to spend the money on a couple of good lights. Why do you think that is the case in Australia?

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I honestly don't know, ignorance maybe, maybe a different culture too i guess.

Maybe it also a case of lack of options, it is hard to find a SF in a retail shop under $200 which even i would balk at then add at least $10 a pair of 123's from a retail shop, most Police officers i know like to get value for money and they don't see spending that sort of money as value for money (strange that you can put a price on a life). Hence the reason i looked into Wolf Eyes but even with the value for money the WE offer it is still hard to convince guys to seriously look into them.

The amount of times i have run from the car without the magcharger or been at a incident without the car that continued through dusk and into the night, i will never not carry at least one light on me. It is also impossible to tell when you might need a light during the day. Any afternoon/night shift i carry my Raider on my belt and a LOD-Ce in my top pocket and the Magcharger in the door of the car.

Last edited:

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Maglight, Streamlight, and Surefire. I'd be willing to bet those 3 brands are 97% of whats in the Law Enforcement hands around the country. The only other thing I've seen in our Dept. is some no name $5-10 pocket flashlights guys pick up at Walmart or Target. I'd never heard of Fenix until I started looking through this forum. I do want a P2D now though, but more as a bail out bag light.

Correct. A lot of people both sides my family LE and Mil.. The Big 3 you mentioned are the best known among law enforcement circles. I never heard of Fenix until someone told me about it on Glock Talk, which is where I heard about this forum.