Tactical Clickies - Bah!

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
CAUTION - RANT ZONE!

Am I the only one who doesn't care for tail-cap clickies? I really like the look of so-called "tactical" style lights, I like 'em in black, and I even like the strike bezels . . . . but I would much prefer a good side clickie. I'm not a cop or ninja, and have no intention of trying to be a Navy SEAL wannabee. For normal use I find a side button switch much more convenient. I suppose I'll get blasted and branded a heretic, but I sure wish more of the makers of popular quality lights offered models with this option. To me it's much more user friendly to have a clickie on the side that lies right under your thumb than having to change your hand position and push on the tail-cap, some of them virtually neccesitating two hands. Some of the makers have a ridiculous number of variations of their flashlights, it's almost dizzying :shakehead trying to choose which one to buy. You'd think with all the models and versions most manufacturers offer, there would be some models with a side switch.

Larry - Official Tail-Cap Rantor :thumbsdow

Last edited:

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
I actually feel the same as you...I much prefer a side/head switch for most flashlights. That's one of the first things I look for in a flashlight...and I'm still looking. It just feels much more natural to hold and use without having to lift the light to the side of my head.

There is one exception however, and that's for small 1AA cell lights for close range work. That's when it's more nature to use since I would mostly be pointing it down. And it needs to be a rear clicky that works well too...some of the rear clickies are tough to use because it's either surrounded by the metal heal (like for stand-up/candle mode), or the rubber cap just jams too tight. I've got one that I really like for just this purpose.

But pretty much all others, I feel anyway, should be side/head switched.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
downside:
adds length to the light.
1" might not be much for a D-cell, but for a single CR123 ...

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I don't necessarily like the tail cap switches but when you compare lengths that a side switch adds then it is hard to beat the tail cap switch. There are a couple of reasons tail switches don't suit me but i make do as i can carry a 9V light that is the same length as the 6V side switch.

quarterflashcomau3co2.jpg

I quoted this picture from another thread but good example of the difference between side and tail switches.

Saiga

Enlightened
" Larry - Official Tail-Cap Rantee "

actually, i think WE would be the rantees, you would be the rantor !:thumbsup:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
A side switch adds some diameter and can be more easily pressed in the pocket, turning the light on accidentally. A rear clickie adds some length but helps with accidental turnons. A twistie, done right, avoids both issues but to me is the least user friendly. I have all three and live with them :). My personal preference is for a side switch, but my favorite light is a rear clickie. No real bugs about any of them from me.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I suppose its each to their own: I find merits in both designs. I haven't handled one yet, but if you want to have your cake and eat it too the pelican 7060 seems to have a sideswitch and tailcap switch? You've got a pretty good selection between streamlight and maglite as well. You might need to do some modding etc to get dazzling brightness, but as you are after a general use light reliability etc shouldn't be a drama.

I think also the smaller the light the less practical a side switch is at least in my opinion. I've got relatively large hands and it just wouldn't feel comfortable for me.

I prefer the rear tailcap for a number of reasons, but as a task light I don't mind the side switches, or for that matter screw tops (e.g. Ultra G ) either :) .

Illum

Flashaholic
just my opinion but I never could use my thumb on a side clickie when I'm holding the light point down from above with the palm of my hand. I have to engage the switch first when I carry it lower than my shoulder the my thumb being on top of the flashlight :candle::ohgeez:

I don't care for switch types, whether its a clickie or twistie, I just prefer it being in the back, I'm right handed by the way:rolleyes:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
CAUTION - RANT ZONE!

Am I the only one who doesn't care for tail-cap clickies?...I'm not a cop or ninja, and have no intention of trying to be a Navy SEAL wannabee. For normal use I find a side button switch much more convenient...You'd think with all the models and versions most manufacturers offer, there would be some models with a side switch. Larry - Official Tail-Cap Rantee :thumbsdow

I agree with your rant, Wassernaut - up to a point anyway.

I can't stand to use a 'tactical' tailcap switch light for walking.

I walk along with a light in my hand ready to instantly light up the terrain ahead at the touch of a button. My typical usage pattern is ON for one second to several seconds of illumination, then OFF. Obviously a momentary switch is desirable.

For walking lights, I prefer lights that are so easy to use that I don't even have to think about it - when needed the light seems to come on by itself. It is impossible for a tailcap switch or twisty switch light to work for me in this role.

I really don't like having to raise my hand up to shoulder level just to light the path ahead briefly, as I have to do with a 'tactical' light.

However, with small utility lights I can deal with either a tailcap switch or a body switch. A tailcap switch on a light bigger than 3C is too awkward. The Streamlight 3C PP lights have a tailcap switch, which is right at the limit for me. Any longer than that and I want a body switch.

I actually prefer tailcap switches on penlights: 2AAA or similar lights designed for shirt pocket carry.

Twisty switches have their place on pocket and keychain lights. Shorter overall length and less susceptible to accidental activation.

KingGlamis

Banned
Yeah, for walking a side switch is the best. I like the Mag C/D switch the best of all switches I've used. The ability to have instant light without even a click is very useful.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, for walking a side switch is the best. I like the Mag C/D switch the best of all switches I've used. The ability to have instant light without even a click is very useful.

The Mag switch is just awesomely good. Probably the most reliable flashlight switch ever. Surefire should license the Mag switch design, or at least study it closely to improve their own switches.

I have several dented and dinged up Mags well over 20 years old that have seen a lot of use and abuse. Their switches still work like new.

Yenster

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, forward clickies...why don't we see more forward clickies that doubles as momentary switches, instead of so many reverse clickies.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Ringzero I like maglites as much as the next flashaholic. Before I discovered Surefire ;) Maglite was a 'premium' torch to me. As far as machining quality it still is. In terms of performance however Maglite really has lagged behind, and I honestly can't see anything that Maglite has that Surefire could aspire to?

IMHO with the two brands I can't really see a reason to call the Surefire switches into question. Sure recently there has been the odd failure of some of the clickie tailcaps, but otherwise I don't think i've ever heard of someone having a failed switch? That is using Genuine Surefire parts anyway....

Just for curiosities sake have you changed the rubber boot on the switch of your 20 year old maglite? I've replaced a couple over the years. I'm a bit sad, a maglite i've had for about 10 years died the other day because the energizer batteries leaked and killed it :( it was my first 'premium' light. I'm a bit sad, but oh well...

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
I don't necessarily like the tail cap switches but when you compare lengths that a side switch adds then it is hard to beat the tail cap switch. There are a couple of reasons tail switches don't suit me but i make do as i can carry a 9V light that is the same length as the 6V side switch.

I quoted this picture from another thread but good example of the difference between side and tail switches.

Well, to be fair, the length of the Wolf-eyes Guider, shown in this comparison picture, also includes a recharging jack, recharging electronics, standup tail extension, and a compass.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Yeah, forward clickies...why don't we see more forward clickies that doubles as momentary switches, instead of so many reverse clickies.

Couple of reasons reverse clickies are used often on pocket sized lights:
- Smaller
- Less chance of accidental activation
- Easier mode switching on the multimode lights
- Cheaper to make

But I agree, momentary can be very useful!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of reasons reverse clickies are used often on pocket sized lights:
- Smaller
- Less chance of accidental activation
- Easier mode switching on the multimode lights
- Cheaper to make

But I agree, momentary can be very useful!

Reverse clickies also tend to have less resistance. I've seen a forward clickie not only affect runtime but output as well, and fairly significantly at that. Like, a 1/3 difference in output and about 25% in runtime.

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
Reverse clickies also tend to have less resistance. I've seen a forward clickie not only affect runtime but output as well, and fairly significantly at that. Like, a 1/3 difference in output and about 25% in runtime.

Hmmm...if this experience is true, I would have to believe it was the result of bad design of that particular forward clicky, rather than something common/inherent to all forward clickies. Depending on the batteries used, a 1/3 difference in output means that clicky would have had about 1-2 ohm resistance with a slight (resisted) short.:anyone:

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical near clickie is an oxymoron IMHO

Why would someone in a tactical situation would want a flashlight (or anything) to click?
There is a good reason why most surefires (if not all Im not sure) don't have clickies and I presume the reason I just gave is why.

Now, if we are talking about forward or reverse clickies, well I prefer forward ones.

Pablo