Does Surefire make any AA lights?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the long array of lights Surefire makes, are there any AA-cell lights available from Surefire?

All I can find is that less common and expensive 3V cells, while I have standardized on AA cells.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
That's a big reason I don't own a single SF light. AA batteries have been and will always be the workhorse battery for the majority of battery operated devices in the world. And with the introduction of low-discharge NiMh batteries like the Sanyo Eneloop and Rayovac Hybrid, AA's make even more sense.

Sure, I do have a couple of CR123 lights, but it's a pain to have to mail order batteries in bulk just to get a decent price. And I sure ain't paying $10 for 2 CR123's at Wal-Mart.

Windscale

Enlightened
That's a big reason I don't own a single SF light. AA batteries have been and will always be the workhorse battery for the majority of battery operated devices in the world. And with the introduction of low-discharge NiMh batteries like the Sanyo Eneloop and Rayovac Hybrid, AA's make even more sense.

Sure, I do have a couple of CR123 lights, but it's a pain to have to mail order batteries in bulk just to get a decent price. And I sure ain't paying $10 for 2 CR123's at Wal-Mart.

I agree. Eneloop has really changed everything. When I first started getting involved in CPF my view was that with CR123As getting cheaper, AAs will not have long to live. Since using an SF 6P (incand) many years ago I have almost forgotten AAs for the lights as none of them gave out the same power for the same size. But SFs do suck batts. The answer came when LEDs came out. A first generation KL3 was fitted and it is still in use. Then reading more in CPF's battery section (especially the posts of SilverFox Tom) I began to learn more about the dangers of Li-ions. Still I did not like alkaline AAs. And Nimh AAs are just useless as, even the best Sanyos, cannot hold their charge. You put some charged up batts in a light and a week later it is half dead. Eneloops changed the whole scene as your lights are no longer half dead after a week. Also during this period I have decided to become environmentally friendly and tried to go 100% rechargeable.

Now the direction for buying lights will be:

1. As far as rechargeable Li-ions are concerned: Stick to a one cell formation and go mainly for 18650s and 17670s instead of RCR123s which normally do not give sufficiently long runtimes. My 2 SF6Ps with KL3s both use 1x17670 now and brightness and runtime are still very reasonable. But I will try not to buy too many Li-ion lights from now on and get more Eneloop AA ones.

2. Only get AA lights which can take eneloops.

The bad thing is that quite a few of my lights had to be retired as they are not happy with rechargeables. I did think of giving these lights away but did not do so as tis would be merely shifting the harm to the environment to others. I am not good at doing mods. May be when I have found someone who can mod some of these lights for me I shall bring them out of retirement.

Whilst SF do not make AA lights, I do hope they will bring out one that uses 18650 eventually.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

I have Eneloops in AA and AAA sizes coming although the Powerex 2700's work great for lights that are in constant use. My Quad Cree build will run eight Eneloop AA cells or two LiFePO4 D cells when they become available. LiFePO4 won't explode like normal lithium-ion and have a longer service life.

Surefire seems to make their lights so they can't use 18650 lithium-ion cells. I find that odd since the cost, durability and usability of the light make it perfect for rechargable cells.

My Peak lights run the optional 2AA bodies instead of CR123A packs. They are compatible with RCR123 lithium-ions although the runtime is about a quarter of two NiMH cells. All my Fenix lights run AA cells and are fed either Powerex 2700's or Eneloop AA cells.

It would be great if Surefire made a 1xAA or 2xAA light that ran Eneloops. The upcoming LRI Proton Cree 1xAA light with variable output on red and white LEDs might fit your needs.

A 2xAA extension body for their lights would not be hard to make, maybe Surefire thinks the market is not large enough.

I agree. Eneloop has really changed everything.
Now the direction for buying lights will be:

1. As far as rechargeable Li-ions are concerned: Stick to a one cell formation and go mainly for 18650s and 17670s instead of RCR123s which normally do not give sufficiently long runtimes. But I will try not to buy too many Li-ion lights from now on and get more Eneloop AA ones.

2. Only get AA lights which can take eneloops.

Whilst SF do not make AA lights, I do hope they will bring out one that uses 18650 eventually.

Illum

Flashaholic
heh, you know, at least half a dozen threads concern that has popped up over the time I've been here. the answer unfortunately is no, and that is inclusive but not limited to AAs but the entire alkaline variety.

NEVER NEVER buy cr123As in stores, you will empty your wallet very fast. ALWAYS BUY cr123As online from the many reputable and authorized manufacturers on the forum. I mean gee at $1-$1.50/battery compared to street price of ~$8/battery I think the choice should be pretty obvious

1. As far as rechargeable Li-ions are concerned: Stick to a one cell formation and go mainly for 18650s and 17670s instead of RCR123s which normally do not give sufficiently long runtimes.

Surefires are especially picky when it comes to cell use...like a gun being picky about ammo
not all cr123As are made the same, the only example of such oddity lies in the A2 aviator, where surefire cells will run fine but when using battery station it refuses to light its xenon:candle:
and when it comes to using lithium rechargeables, only 17670s will fit, sometimes very snuggly in some lights and may need to be bored in order to use them. also, no 18650 compatible surefire bodies have been produced, user Leef created a extensive variety [known as Leef gear] of 18650 bodies for surefire lights.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have standardized on AA only for all the devices I have, LED lights and more. I am stuck with it, whether it's good or not.

I have had equally good luck with Maha Powerex and Sanyo Eneloop. Powerex 2700 mAh goes into my LED lights that are often used.

2000 mAh Eneloop goes into GPS, digital camera and the rest lays around for backup.

I do have one odd device that uses CR2, had I known it does, I might have reconsidered getting it.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I've had 3 devices killed by Energizer alkaline batteries (maglite 2aa, maglite 3d and a eotech) that wasn't because the batteries were expired / stored long term etc. For that reason I prefer lithiums. If I have to use aa batteries, I try and use lithium where I can (pricey, but i've been stung three times).

The SF123's provide a great powerhouse for Surefire to work with, they are reliable, and shouldn't leak. Cost wise yeah they are more expensive in the shops but if you shop around they're not too bad. I paid more for my D and AA cell batteries in Australia than I do ordering quality sf123's from overseas.

If alkalines hadn't killed so many devices of mine I may not feel as strongly as I do. To Energizers credit they did reimburse me for the eotech, but it was a hassle. I'd prefer not to have gone through the process at all.

Because of that I haven't bought a maglite in years, and my Surefire collection seems to slowly but surely keep growing.

Illum

Flashaholic
I
The SF123's...are reliable, and shouldn't leak.

unlike alkalines which are filled with manganese dioxide paste that are supersaturated and the moment it touches something else [ie, the body of your flashlight], it almost immediately begin to form crystals...surefire cells are really two electrodes rolled up, kinda like a over engineered capacitor [more info at 123 cell protection anatomy revealed]. If you found a surefire cell that leaks...its definitely not a surefire cell

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 AA

The combination of Fenix 2xAA lights, rebel 100s, low self discharge Nimh batteries, and decent battery chargers makes for a nice light package. It may not be as nice as SF or custom rigs, but it's cheap and it performs well. The rebel LEDs bring high lumens, lower heat, and decent tint. The eneloops give you a cheap, easy, safe, rechargeable battery that holds a charge just long enough. Fenix gives you the best in squeezing a lot out of a battery in conjunction with high lumens in small packages. And as butt ugly as the L2D/L2T are, they grow on you. In a year or two as we see higher bin Rebels or other new LEDs come out and the lumens climb, these things will be awesome.

Last edited:

faco

Enlightened
I'd buy instantly if Surefire made a AA Light.............don't think it will happen though :ohgeez:

nightshade

Enlightened
Hello,

It really looks like a good idea. But do you have an idea whether it works? Is it any good?

I would be interested if it would do well with a SF KL1 and an E1E head.
Thanks for any reply,

Joris

Joris, The UBH set-up works very well with the KL1 and KL4 heads. Both AA, and 123 and CR2 can creatively be used with the UBH system. It makes a great emergency kit set-up. Please beware of sending funds to Doug Speck at that site. If you are interested I would recommend attempting to purchase a unit off of CPF BST.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why no 18650 light from surefire? i am sure it has longer runtime compared to primary CR123.