Surefire M4 = Wall of light?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I need a quality, high-output, light that can sometimes be used for several minutes of constant-on. The M4 is at the top of the list. Wish the runtime was better than 20 minutes with the 350 lumens HOLA. But that's liveable. (M6 has a grip just too thick for me).

Only thing is, I don't know if the M4 puts out a wall of light, or if it leans more towards throw. (Looking for a wall, as my last requirement). Also heard that 17650s will fit in the M4.

If any M4 owner could help me out with answers, I'd appreciate it.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's got a turbohead straight from the factory, so it'll be a thrower through and through. However, running a P91 on 2x 17670 makes one fantastic wall of light.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a wall of light, I'd recommend a Wolf Eyes M300 Lion. It is very high power, high color temperature for an incan, nice spot and flood, and rechargeable with e 18650's and can run for one hour. I really like mine. The SF turboheads as mentioned are excellent even throwers.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you want a wall of light, I'd recommend a Wolf Eyes M300 Lion. It is very high power, high color temperature for an incan, nice spot and flood, and rechargeable with e 18650's and can run for one hour. I really like mine. The SF turboheads as mentioned are excellent even throwers.

Took a look at the M300 on the Wolf-eyes official site. Seems to be an excellent light, except for one thing...... The barrel looks just as fat as the one on the Surefire M6. Honestly, I doubt I'd be able to get a solid enought grip on the light without dropping it. Still, I appreciate the help and the alternative suggestion.

If my hands were only larger, and my fingers longer; I'd probably take the M300 over the M6.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FM24 works beautifully. I used one on my M6 and it was great. Easy flip up to throw beam with your thumb whenever needed.

BSBG

Enlightened
The turbohead gives the M4 a moderate throw (compared a smooth reflectored Magmod) with a good amount of spill. A Beamshaper would give you that flood effect at the expense of throw.

Yes, 17670s work fine with the 9v bulbs - MN15, MN20, or MN16 (some have reported very short life with the MN16, but it is oh-so-white while it lasts).

In my opinion, the MN61 does not give enough gain in output over the MN60 to make it worthwhile, considering the battery consumption.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The FM24 works beautifully. I used one on my M6 and it was great. Easy flip up to throw beam with your thumb whenever needed.

Now that is indeed good news. All I'd need is that beamshaper and I'd get the best of both worlds. Just need to make sure it'd fit snugly onto an M4.

Thanks for the info.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I use the M6 far more than the M4... The M6 gives far better quality of light output for longer compared to the M4.

P204.jpg

P257.JPG

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I use the M6 far more than the M4... The M6 gives far better quality of light output for longer compared to the M4.

I'm sure it does, but I'd be constantly afraid of dropping it. The M4 is (literally) a better fit in my hand. Also, found an old thread on CPF where one member mentioned that the M6 doesn't work well for Constant-On. Any truth regarding the statement that the M6 gets so hot after 11 minutes of constant-on, that it shuts itself off to pevent damaging the light?

Not trying to spread rumors. Just trying to find an answer to that question.

(I will admit, it's nice knowing I'd be able to use both 123A cells and rechargeables in the M4; without modifying the light).

BTW, thanks for the cool pics. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Any truth regarding the statement that the M6 gets so hot after 11 minutes of constant-on, that it shuts itself off to pevent damaging the light?
Whilst it has been reported to have happened, I believe it is extremely rare, to the point of it not even being anything close to an issue.
I use the M6 constant-on plenty and have never experienced a thermal shutdown.

Use high quality USA-made SF123A batteries (or Duracell DL123A's) in your high output SureFires and you're go to go.

Al

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I chose the M4 over the M6 because I use it backpacking with extensive night hiking, and the 4 cell light requires carrying less weight in batteries, as well as less weight in the light itself. I agree with the previous statement that the MN61 isn't worth the runtime sacrifice over the MN60, unless maybe you had some kind of rechargeable setup going. The M4 LOLA is just stunning. I love mine!

I have read many statements that the M6 output is even better, and I do want an M6 as well. But not for a weeklong backpack unless I have a Sherpa! If anything, as time goes on, I am tending more towards 1 cell lights. But those high output incans are hugely satisfying to wield!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Whilst it has been reported to have happened, I believe it is extremely rare, to the point of it not even being anything close to an issue.
I use the M6 constant-on plenty and have never experienced a thermal shutdown.

Use high quality USA-made SF123A batteries (or Duracell DL123A's) in your high output SureFires and you're good to go.

Al

Always good to get an experienced opinion from someone who owns and uses a high-output light.

Thanks for the response. :)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, instead of the M4, you be better of with an M3/M3T or M6, If you are into SF primaries. With M3/M3T, you would still be able to go the rechargeable route if you wish, not so for the M4 or M6, but you do get the most output on the M6 which comes in a much compact package than the M4.

Dizos

Newly Enlightened
I can vouch for the use of the diffuser on the turboheads. It provides a great area light when diffused and throw when flipped up. The diffuser design includes a cam so that you are assured of a tight and reliable fit.

I am using a LED insert from yclo with mine so that I get the added benefit of hours of runtime at the expense of some lumens. It is still very bright with amazing throw.

LED module installed
turbo_led1.jpg

1 meter beamshot without the diffuser
beamshot1.jpg

1 meter beamshot with diffuser
beamshot2.jpg

Last edited:

zx7dave

Enlightened
Both the M4 and M6 are awesome lights. for a lot of daily use I would recommend the M4 running the rechargeable setup mentioned earlier. won't be as much light as the M6, but much cheaper to operate a lot. I also don't care for the large grip size of the M6, but it is a unbelieveable light for such a compact package. the M4 is the light that gets the most use for me.

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

How can the (surefire) P91 lamp fit in M4's turbohead, see earlier post?

What lamp configuration could work in an M4 body with M3's head?

Thanks!

PA

Size15's

Flashaholic
How can the (surefire) P91 lamp fit in M4's turbohead, see earlier post?
The P91 Lamp Assembly for the 9P/C3/G3 (etc) can not fit in the Millennium TurboHead or any other SureFire TurboHead. To which earlier post are you referring?

What lamp configuration could work in an M4 body with M3's head?
Using three-SF123A batteries and a Z20 battery spacer you can use the MN10/MN11 Lamp Assemblies in the M3 (Z46) bezel on the M4 body:
P180.jpg