RCR123s and Fenix P2D-R100 - Help!

Budman231

Enlightened
I have read many threads on this topic but still come away a bit confused... So I figure it can't hurt to ask... I want to buy some RCR123s for my P2D Rebel 100 but understand that most of them come off the charger at 3.7+ volts which is not good. I also understand there there are protected and non-protected cells which I gather that the non-protected cells are not a good idea in general. And lastly I've read that some of the RCR123s cause the low mode to not work... Now with those points, can someone tell me if there is are RCR123's that can meet the following criteria ?

- Not ruin my light fresh off the charger
- Not diable "low" mode
- Protected Cell
- Provide decent run-time 30-60 mins on high (couple hrs. on low)
- Cost <$30 for 4 cells with charger

Here's what I'm leaning toward. But at only 500 Mah not sure if they would last very long..
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=125353&highlight=rcr123

Or would this meet my needs better ? HELP !! :shrug:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1158

Thanks in advance.
Bud

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can use the 17335 it is too long.

Any Lithium-Ion rechargable cell that uses the LiFePO4 composition will provide the right voltage to maintain all the modes. The one you point to would work, but you might want to check for reviews that compare them to 750mAh or new 900mAh cells.

Since as you say this has been discussed to death, there should be plenty of threads to help you out.

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you can use the 17335 it is too long.

17335 means 17mm diameter and 33.5mm length. So I think you mean they might be too wide, 17mm instead of the typical 16mm diameter, and actually a tiny bit shorter, 33.5mm instead of the typical 34.0mm long.

Regarding protection, I actually find that they will very suddenly cut off the battery when used in higher output modes and then they're like completely dead, even though there's some power left, it's just not accessible due to the PCB circuit cutoff. That's why you may have problems with lower modes. I find that unprotected batteries will run (much longer) until they are extremely dim, at which point I've measured their voltage and it's within their safe limits. The only real danger without protection is if you just leave your flashlight on, unattended, for several days, then it could be a problem.

I should mention that battery protection doesn't seem to be a problem with LED lights as they are with incandesant lights.

LiFePO4 batteries appear to have only half the power of similar Li-ion batteries.

Last edited:

Ragdoll

Newly Enlightened
I have the same problem with my P2D R100. I used 16340 3.6V Protected Li-ion battery and at first I only got turbo mode. After a while the light went a bit dimmer, and then the next time I turned it on to turbo it just went off. I checked the voltage in the battery and it was 0.00000
I don't know what had happened to the protected battery and don't know whether to recharge this fully drained battery or not. If someone could give me some advice I would be much grateful.