snow blows

alaskawolf

Enlightened
we've had light snow off and on for the past few weeks but its staying this time

snow-1.jpg

i get up to see this
snow2-1.jpg

yep its everywhere
snow3-1.jpg

im going to need another snow brush soon. good thing i put my snow tyres on last week
snow4-1.jpg

its very true and sadly in not too long of time its going to be too cold to snow :(

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pictures, Alaskawolf. I was looking at your forecast and it's a typical January forecast for here. I assume you'll see below zero before the month is out?

Because of the cold, do you really get that much snow? Will you have a 2-3 foot or greater snow depth before the winter is through?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I see obviously the leaves are all gone from your deciduous trees. When do the leaves come out in the spring and when do they leave in the fall? I assume they do come out, at least for a little spell.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like snow except that it reflects so much light at night that it tends to infringe on my outdoor nighttime flashlight enjoyment. :thumbsdow

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We don't have it here in Anchorage yet, but it's creeping down the mountains! Any day now! I love my 10hp snow blower...sure saves the back!

alaskawolf

Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures, Alaskawolf. I was looking at your forecast and it's a typical January forecast for here. I assume you'll see below zero before the month is out?

Because of the cold, do you really get that much snow? Will you have a 2-3 foot or greater snow depth before the winter is through?
when the temps are above -20 and colder we usually get a decent amont of snow, usally the first part of the winter and towards the end of winter when its warmer is the snowiest season

yeah i woulnt doubt it if we seen below zero temps soon, ive been through a few halloweens at -30F before :(

the leaves should come back around mayish time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDu1McPxEvc
a video a frind of mine made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlb3MmwAzE
soon the temps will be like this :(

i need to borrow Sigman's snowblower and lights :p

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
We could have used some snow yesterday for the Chicago Marathon!

It was called off 3 hours after the start because of heat-related medical problems. Runners were dropping all over the place. One death was reported.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been away from Chicago long enough now that I can remember the snow fondly. And forget having to get to work on time regardless of how much arrived when, or not being able to get home for hours because of an ice storm that covered the entire city while I was sitting at my desk. Or that I used to carry my car battery into work on the coldest days so that my car would start when I carried it back out (the suits used to laugh at me in the elevator, but MY little 83 accord started those evenings, and their lexus didn't always start ;) )

I do hope to visit at some point again when it's snowing there... But I dont plan to take up a shovel ever again.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know from TV shows on Denali Park as well first hand tales from a co-worker that central Alaska can be very beautiful but man I don't think I could take winter of October until well in April. The northeast where I live is consider part of the colder region of ConUSA but still the leaves are just starting to turn now.

FYI: Anybody see the new movie "Into the Wild" based on the book by Jon Krakauer? I enjoyed the book immensely, I hope the movie is not too far off.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...FYI: Anybody see the new movie "Into the Wild" based on the book by Jon Krakauer?
I plan to see it, seems to be "calling me" for some reason. Probably because I live here in Alaska and have experienced a lot trekking around this wild geography (a priceless experience indeed!).

Without taking this thread too far OT...there's a couple different trains of thought related to Chris McCandless (whether he was merely an unprepared idiot - seems he could have survived but made a few too many mistakes - or some Carlos Castaneda type searching for his soul or something else?). I'm not going to look "too deep" into the "whys" (if at all). I just want to enjoy the movie. The film was already previewed up north (Fairbanks?)...but is due to be released October 19.

Here's a link to "part 1" of a story (originally published in the Men's Journal and then reprinted in the Anchorage Daily News) and "part 2" as well. Here's another good link as published in Outside magazine in 1993.

I suppose this flick will warrant it's own thread? So far I've heard nothing but positive thoughts about the movie.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
ive heard a lot of mixes reviews about "in to the wild" some folks who already screened it at the blue loon up here thought the acting and script was pretty good but the story was some what iffy, more over dramtising it but ill see what it likes when ever i get around to watching it.

this is deffintly a state where you really have to be prepaired for the really harsh climate.

i always keep a extra set of winter wear in my car just incase. gloves,ear and head wear,thermal or even just sweats,sweaters,long sleeves,insulated boots,thick socks,blankets etc and of course flash lights with perferably Lithium batteries. Lasers can really be a life saver too, saved me from a bear and kept some cars from hitting me in thick ice fog at -40F when i stopped to help someone who broke down a few winters back :)

just going to the store in the middle of winter can be dangerous if you have a break down. if you see some one broke down where its stupidly cold you stop and help them.

http://www.junkfoodblog.com/2006/01/decadent-hot-chocolate.html
self heating hot chocolate is nice :p

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed a little snow in the San Gabriel mountains a few weeks back near the end of September when we had the "first rain".

It seems to be cooling down a bit more this week, I already have a jacket ready for when I take night classes. Most of the trees are still green in my neighborhood but I noticed a couple that are beginning to turn orange near the very top. I guess the seasons are changing even though it's not as noticeable in So. Cal than in most other places.

Latest posts