Dorcy 1AA Aspheric Light Mod

JamisonM

Enlightened
A while back I bought one of those little 1AA dorcy key chain lights with an aspheric lens. Considering what it was, it had decent throw, but poor side spill because of the aspheric lens. It projected a dot that was around 2 feet in diameter from about 10 feet away. Not a very good light in my opinion so, today, having enough of it, I unscrewed the head and started looking thinking for a way to make this thing more useful.

I won't bore you with how I did things, but I will tell you that the end result is, IMO, as bright as my fenix L2D-CE on low. If it isn't, it's very close. Not only are the lights very close in brightness, but I also noticed that they have similar side spill at the same distance. I really think this light is much more useful now. All I did was remove the white plastic part inside the head and the lens. They aren't glued in, but are tight fitting. I'm sure if you put the head in a vise and used wooden dowel or something similar to hammer them out; that would work fine. Once every thing's out; you'll have to find something to replace the lens. I think replacing the lens is optional though see how the emitter is recessed inside the light a good half inch.

Below is a picture of mine. Sorry for the poor image quality. All in all; I just gutted the head and replaced the lens; nothing fancy. This was the cheapest mod I've done yet seeing as all I did was take away what was holding this light back. Even though I've gone as far as I plan, I know this has got to be a blank canvas for some.

dorcy.1aa.mod.JPG